Ultimate luck. Landed 1.2 miles from home and 2 feet from water. No damage.

Reaction score
I set the Phantom 2 Vision + on a mission to the lake near my house. Unfortunately it did not come home. I am using Ultimate flight app for the missions but am going to give up on the app for now as I am having continual issues with bugs.

Still trying to figure out what happened but I suspect there was a malfunction of sorts either NAZA or Ultimate flight app as the thing auto-landed.

So a few notes.

The battery was not low as the video kept going for another 20+ minutes and even caught me finding it !

I am running a Flytrex Core 2. The map on Flytrex.com is accurate and when I export it to Google Earth it is right on the money as well.

I manually checked GPS coordinates and the location of takeoff is right on and so are a few points along the way.

The dashware heading map is hosed which makes me think something is funky... The aircraft dot is huge and does not appear till part way through the mission. The actual mission path is missing however you can see two dots (black and white) if you look closely. I assume the dot size is a scale/ratio thing.

I suspect that NAZA GPS interpeted something wrong or the Ultimate flight app software did. Still doesn't explain the issue with the Dashware heading map.

Looking for things to check out.

Feeling blessed for sure. Thank God for my Marco Polo tracker.

You can jump to 11 minutes if you don't want to watch the entire video. This is where it starts going down.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Wow! Talk about the luck of the Irish!

looks like it auto landed.... but battery meter showed OK?

It was on a mission and I had most waypoints set somewhat low. I launched out of a hole so I lost telemetry after a minute or two. So could not see the battery level. But have to think the battery was OK as it took me 20 or even possibly 30 minutes to get there and it was still powered on and shooting video.

Last edited:
:eek: The tree's and the creek were so close !!! Am proud for you bro as that could have not turned out so well !!!!
Hope ya find out what your problem was !! :)

Reactions: rrmccabe
Way cool!!!

The descent was mesmerizing.
Almost looked like a NASA video of some robotic probe landing on Earth 2.0 or something.

Home. Same is start . Had 4 waypoints. It landed between 3 and 4.

Reactions: AmosMoses
Did you pick up a lottery ticket on the way home?

What I see looks like the speed was set way too low (15 mph...can get 30+ easy). It did not look windy, as your speed was the same in both directions. I always set the speed at the higest setting in the Ultimate app. It was a beautiful long mission, but it took twice as long and looks like the battery went low and it autolanded. If you ever tried to drain a battery by letting the Phantom sit on the ground, you would see it takes forever to drop even one percent...therefore I think it could still record for a while. Just my opinion.... Sure is beautiful territory and that was one lucky landing!

Reactions: Keeper of Maps
I haven't flown any missions yet - I just installed the hardware on my Phantom today.
But, do I recall correctly that if the Phantom doesn't think it has enough battery to complete the mission that it would land where it's at?

Also, what is that spooky music?

Yep, you didnt have a software problem. You cannot set a mission this far without using top speed. You didnt set the speed correctly so you ran out of battery life to complete the mission.

Reactions: dirkclod
What I see looks like the speed was set way too low (15 mph...can get 30+ easy). It did not look windy, as your speed was the same in both directions. I always set the speed at the higest setting in the Ultimate app. It was a beautiful long mission, but it took twice as long and looks like the battery went low and it autolanded. If you ever tried to drain a battery by letting the Phantom sit on the ground, you would see it takes forever to drop even one percent...therefore I think it could still record for a while. Just my opinion.... Sure is beautiful territory and that was one lucky landing!

Yea I totally agree the speed was too low for a mission of that length although I have ran it a couple times already and came back with battery in the 40% range. I keep meaning to bump it up in the defaults in Ultimate flight app but not going to worry about it now as I am going to quit using the app as it has issues with my setup

It was 1.2 miles short of coming home and regardless of distance it only ran 12 minutes.

I need to hook the phantom up to the computer and see where my limits are set. They may have changed after upgrades.

The Dashware heading map is what confuses me. I have never had an issue with it before.

How can this be a p2v+, gimbal is not stabilized and sound in video...

Steven it is a V+. The sound is just an overlay with some light music in the background. Just added it during post.
Nice find rrmccabe, did you buy a lottery ticket?
How much flight time was on the battery before you took off? Full battery?

Yes full battery just off charger.

Yep, you didnt have a software problem. You cannot set a mission this far without using top speed. You didnt set the speed correctly so you ran out of battery life to complete the mission.

Seems logical about distance but leaving all that out it only ran 12 minutes on a full battery.

I also had a mishap with Ultimate Flight. I had 8 w.p. , and had the altitude set to 55 meters. Six min into flight, there was some mysterious but intentional looking loss of altitude at a waypoint. Proceeding to next w.p. it hit the top 4" of a 50 foot tree, what luck ....

Q: Did you do any way point editing by dragging just before flight ? I suspect there was an error in the instructions sent to the craft. My battery was at 60% and the craft proceeded to melt it's motor mounts for several min after lodging 40 ft up a tree.
Either DJI SDK has bugs or Ultimate flight has bugs.
Have you ever seen a popular Chinese software package for sale EVER ? This tells me something.

If I drug any way points it was by accident :)

And by the way I am not claiming any of this was not pilot error. Just would not have expected it to auto-land at 12 minutes and the Dashware heading thing makes me suspect of something going on.

Regardless I am done with Ultimate flight app for now as its buggy. Loss of video, program hangs etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.