Ultimate luck. Landed 1.2 miles from home and 2 feet from water. No damage.

I think the only issue with the heading map is Dashware. If I delete the lines in the CSV after line 5606 which is where it landed the heading map is fine.

For some reason sitting there for 20 more minutes in the same spot confused Dashware.

I plugged in the Phantom and with updates it has went back to go home and land on low battery.

Flight time on these crafts is flight time regardless of speed. so IMO no not really.

***NO!!!!!** NOT SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE!!!! STUDY YOUR FLIGHT LOG!!!! This needs caps!!!!!!!

FROM MEMORY IIRC

- idling at a given height takes like 14amps
- ascending takes like 30 amps
- flying forward takes like 20-25 amps depending on speed!

PLEASE DO THE MATH BEFORE BITCHING ABOUT BATTERY LIFE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go this slow 12mph and pull 22amps.... go 24mph and pull 25 amps.... YOU GO 2X AS FAR ON ALMOST THE SAME POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DAM PEOPLE dont blame a GS app for auto descending!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is not something to write nonsense about!

rrm simply ran his battery too low and it auto landed as it would.....

Everyone, you ARE aware that our 'smart batteries' calculate on the fly when they need to RTH or auto land? It is not a set % number.

Running this 15,000' or whatever at 1/2 or 1/3 max speed MUST expect an auto land.

I commend rrc for finding his craft so fast!

I also say an apology is due Ken Argo Ultraflight app as it had obviously NOTHING to do with this landing.

rrm, I am very interested in how you found it in just 20 minutes at over 1 mile away. that is fantastic. was it a fltrex gps coordinate? UF track last gps position? VFP data? please help us learn how to do the same!

You may want to check the set up. You flew over 18 minutes when it landed, The set may have had in it when you get to a certain percent of battery remaining to auto land. In my set up I have a pick either return to home and land or auto land when battery is low. For autonomous flight I have to calculate distance out and back to be sure I have enough battery to make the round trip before the safety's kick in. Not sure of the features in the software you were using.

Guys it started autoland in 12 minutes. Yorlik I have a Marco Polo tracker

Reactions: dirkclod
***NO!!!!!** NOT SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE!!!! STUDY YOUR FLIGHT LOG!!!! This needs caps!!!!!!!

FROM MEMORY IIRC

- idling at a given height takes like 14amps
- ascending takes like 30 amps
- flying forward takes like 20-25 amps depending on speed!

PLEASE DO THE MATH BEFORE BITCHING ABOUT BATTERY LIFE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go this slow 12mph and pull 22amps.... go 24mph and pull 25 amps.... YOU GO 2X AS FAR ON ALMOST THE SAME POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DAM PEOPLE dont blame a GS app for auto descending!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is not something to write nonsense about!

rrm simply ran his battery too low and it auto landed as it would.....

Everyone, you ARE aware that our 'smart batteries' calculate on the fly when they need to RTH or auto land? It is not a set % number.

Running this 15,000' or whatever at 1/2 or 1/3 max speed MUST expect an auto land.

I commend rrc for finding his craft so fast!

I also say an apology is due Ken Argo Ultraflight app as it had obviously NOTHING to do with this landing.

yorlik, I have to say you're awesome and I'm not dogging you.

**** dude, how do you know so much stuff? I've watched you crunch data and come up with great answers, so that question is kinda redundant.

Can you help explain how the battery drained itself in 12 minutes? I could understand that happening if it were in a constant downdraft ahead of a squall line or flying on the leeward side of a mountain peak, but... this isn't like that.

And, not to dog your buddy's App, but could that have a glitch, possibly with the particular device being used?

I might sound stupid here, but I am just trying to help and certainly am not trying to piss anyone off.

Frank,I must apologize for the tone of my reply above; I am not very politically correct sometimes; guess it goes with being an engineer; you know, lots of people put us in the backroom away from customers due to the way we talk. :)

I just don't see how ANY app could have ANYTHING to do with this. As far as I know, only the assistant program has parameter to decide to autoland or RTH choice. As far as I know, once the waypoint list is loaded to the phantom and it is told to go, NO app on anyone's phone has any input on how it flies those points. So unless there is some way, 15,000 feet away, out of contact with the wifi, to manipulate the phantom path, I just can't see any app being blamed for the landing.

I am not saying anything about your comments rrc about OTHER issues with this BETA program; just the one point of it having something to do with the landing.

I have no clue why 12 min flight Frank; perhaps you are right about outside extra forces it was fighting. Someone said 'but the battery still showed good so why did it land' or something equiv to that. Of course the batt indicator was back at 2000ft into the flight when the wifi lost contact..... it would be better to have all the telemetry go to ??? when contact lost so this confusion is not there.

rrc, curious, what did lights on batt show when you recovered it? I led? none?

rrc, curious, what did lights on batt show when you recovered it? I led? none?

1 LED.

Honestly the thing that steered me away from the battery in the first place was the Dashware heading map being crazy. But I think its a problem with Dashware that I have not seen before. Deleting all the lines in the CSV past the point where it sat down the map starts working.

I really don't think it was related to the Ultimate flight app and this is not the reason I am going to quit using it for now. I like many others are constantly losing video (or cant get it to start) along with frequent crashing. So until that is resolved the app is not going to work for me.

I am sure you will understand that I paid for Ultimate Flight App. It crashes on a regular basis, loses video over 75% of the time when the OEM app doesn't. It's only logical I would consider it one of the possibilities to the problem.

understood.

With the SD card on he p2v+, and p2v+ sending video to it, wonder why no one ever thought to send the csv file directly there too?? THEN we would have all the telemetry to analyze properly afterwards!

(think I will post this idea to dji)

Well I ordered a Solo a couple weeks ago. Said data will be on my controller :)

And I agree with you. Seems it would be easy to stream the telemetry to the card.

Are you sure it's not the battery? How many charge cycles?

I had this happen at 50% charge, but less than 90% battery life left. 39 cycles on that one.

Very lucky you got that bird back in one piece with all those trees!

I had this happen at 50% charge, but less than 90% battery life left. 39 cycles on that one.

Indeed, tree's, water, major roadways, homes, and distance from home point.
Quite an adventurous endeavor I admit, huge testicles, common sense, well I'm afraid the jury is still out on that one. : )

Reactions: rrmccabe

I would have to say the potential for a battery is definitely there. This particular battery which is my "#3" battery has 33 cycles on it.

Not understanding all the logic with smart battery its hard to say what little hiccup or malfunction would send it into auto land mode.

Reactions: Fplvert
I would have to say the potential for a battery is definitely there. This particular battery which is my "#3" battery has 33 cycles on it.

Not understanding all the logic with smart battery its hard to say what little hiccup or malfunction would send it into auto land mode.

I generally read many of the thoughts of those much more qualified than I, and try to absorb what has been said to form the best possible conclusion my mind can muster up at the time. Having said that, I personally really don't like relying on specific software which for the most part takes over all control of the model when in flight.

If I have understood correctly the newer versions of camera Apps, incl. DJI software provides various parameters to enhance the information gathering process, information such as a battery level bar, etc., but more specifically it monitors and calculates the required battery life necessary to RTH.
This particular function once again relieves operator of control, simply making the determination when and where to land, a function which I had questioned from the start and why I had since chosen to remain with older software/ firmware since purchasing my model last yr. this time.
I'm actually still running outdated software & firmware for this specific reason, and can report no adverse affects in doing so.

Further, I'm of the opinion that not using such programing such as GS, but more specifically F/W which calculates the remaining battery power to RTH might have given the operator a greater opportunity to return to home on the remaining power supply available at the time.

I'm also of the opinion that with more bells and whistles comes a greater risk of electronic error.
Just a passing thought, as I obviously have no conclusive reasoning to report .
Glad to see all ended well, Rich. No harm, no foul. : )

Last edited:
I appreciate what you are saying and have to be honest I am not liking the mission thing myself for all the reasons you mentioned. I will always be a long range flyer as I can explore some interesting things without leaving the house. But in the end I like being able to take control of what is happening (if possible).

In my case after starting the mission Ultimate flight app hung up and was unable to get it back.

How many recharges do you have on that battery? I've learned not to trust older batteries.
Oops, I see that was already answered.
Just glad you found your bird quickly, that was a lucky landing.

Last edited:
rrmcabe, does the .csv file still show data missing, or not displaying until further into the log? I hope not, but if it does, why do you think it is doing that? I know you will be honest with what you see also.

I posted mine which fell from the sky twice in one day. Post a copy after others asked to view to see if they could see why they thought whatever took place. But after posting it everyone must have gotten lost. They never followed up.

Data looks fine to me. I tried removing lines in middle that I thought might be bad. Still funky. I thought maybe it was quantity of lines so I removed some from front. Same issue. I will be happy to share the csv frank.

Having recently purchased and mounted a Marco Polo tracker on my P2V+, I'm glad to see it worked perfectly for you.

Reactions: Ross
rrmcabe, does the .csv file still show data missing, or not displaying until further into the log? I hope not, but if it does, why do you think it is doing that? I know you will be honest with what you see also.

I posted mine which fell from the sky twice in one day. Post a copy after others asked to view to see if they could see why they thought whatever took place. But after posting it everyone must have gotten lost. They never followed up.

frank, how can his csv file have any data of value? he was long out of wifi range, so no data anywhere near time of decsent, right?

as for your csv and folks not following up, you NEVER posted your csv! I waited and waited and almost passed out TWICE holding my breath to see it, but you never posted it. i was not interested in re-analyzing your small sections - why? you already did. i was interested in looking at the whole csv file myself to see if i may have seen something you did not. but you never posted it so i assumed you did not want anyone else analyzing it!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik