Ultimate Flight (Android)-waypoint + save/load RELEASED!

Re: New app for Phantom Vision and Vision+

Bear501 said:
Under camera settings what does "anti-flicker" do?

Not much I can add; I saw it in the documentation so I made it available. The DJI documentation isn't much help, is says "Set the camera's anti flicker parameter". Not overly informative.

I've provided feedback to DJI requesting additional documentation details and will share them once they come but for now I'm afraid that I cannot add much.

Sorry, I don't have more details.

Dartmoor Dave said:
Ken,

What is the latest version released? I thought I saw this AM it was upto 1.09 ( I think - although I couldn't see the release number from within the app. That included touching the screen to see a latlong as well as some other improvements. Would be good to see the release number in the About Information
On my first flight this morning with your innovative app (bought from play store yesterday btw) I was able to do get the lat/long infor but the second flight, a couple of hours later, the lat long touch screen option wasn't available. I probably had turned something off without realising it :)

I'm enjoying finding out what it offers and I'm pleased to report it seems to work without dropouts (so far) in my Samsung Galaxy S5 under Android 5 (Lollipop).

Is it processor intensive? My Galaxy S5 seems to be draining much more rapidly than it did using the DJI Vision app

I also found that the app indicated I was in ATTI mode, although I was flying in GPS mode, with NAZA mode activated. Is that indicator not yet fully activated?

1.09 is the latest and I'm glad that Android 5 is working though I'm not sure I can take credit for fixing it. A little magic might be in play here. With 1.09 I moved some code around and that may have changed the timing in calling into the DJI code which may have helped but I really didn't do anything special.

The flight mode indicator I covered in a reply just above but in short; the code takes the value from DJI and places it, unchanged onto the screen. Assuming DJI is reporting the mode accurately I would expect it to be the mode the Phantom is flying at that moment but if you feel the mode isn't being presented accurately please send me as much detail about what you are seeing and I'll investigate and send the details to DJI.

If you are using flight log it might be helpful as it reports satellite count at the same time as the flight mode and it could be that for a split second the sat count dropped under 6, which would cause flight mode to drop to ATTI for a moment. I am of course hypothesizing on what is happening, not having that code leave me somewhat in the dark about what might be happening.

kenargo said:
Bear501 said:

Not much I can add; I saw it in the documentation so I made it available. The DJI documentation isn't much help, is says "Set the camera's anti flicker parameter". Not overly informative.

I've provided feedback to DJI requesting additional documentation details and will share them once they come but for now I'm afraid that I cannot add much.

Usually anti-flicker in digital cameras means filtering of "flickering" caused by AC-powered lights. Most effective in fluorescent lighting. 60 Hz is for US and 50 Hz for the rest of the world? Not very relevant for Phantom flying conditions? (FC200 is based on industrial surveillance camera...)

kenargo said:
Bear501 said:

That's alright thanks for the reply. I was hoping it may take care of the prop shadows in filming. I'm still looking for a way to get rid of those without having to use a lens hood because everyone says that damages the gimbal. Best of luck getting the rest of this app up and running looks good so far thanks for everything.

I have bought this app 2 days ago I first tried it on my 7in samsung but as soon as I start motors the app crashes then tried it on my phone it works but will crash after a few mins for flying.
What's the point of selling an app if it don't work right al the bugs should be gone before you should start selling this

Irepairapples said:
I have bought this app 2 days ago I first tried it on my 7in samsung but as soon as I start motors the app crashes then tried it on my phone it works but will crash after a few mins for flying.
What's the point of selling an app if it don't work right al the bugs should be gone before you should start selling this

I am aware of very few experiences of the app crashing but there are a couple known issues, mostly on devices running Android 5 (crash on motor start) and people with Phantom's running old firmware.

Android 5 devices are a 50/50 shot if or not the app crashes when the motors start. Some people have working Android 5 devices while others have this crash. The crash specific to Android 5 is down inside DJI SDK and I am unable to make changes that can keep the crash from happening; I must rely on DJI to fix the issue.

I have asked DJI for the minimum firmware version needed to use the SDK but have not received that information.

App crashing are very rare; I've had 1 crash report with the latest version between all users of the app and that is related to a bug in the DJI live screen display code which happens somewhat randomly but has decreased with the latest SDK release.

As long as you have reported the crash I will be able to investigate the crash and provide a fix if possible, or escalate to DJI for them to fix.

Something you can try would be to turn off the logging (Phantom Tracks); I've found that some devices have difficulty keeping up writing to the log file resulting in some instability. If that corrects your issue please let me know; I'm trying to keep track of which devices have issues with hopes of identifying a common cause and fix.

Thanks for using the software and please keep me updated on your findings.

Initial impressions... (1) I think it needs to be cleaned up a bit. I'm sure the look will be worked on later after the functionality is perfectly in place. It can actually be confusing. (2) It doesn't seem to always pickup that I'm connected to the network first. I always get dialog to connect to Internet to allow signin first for SDK access. I think I read that I need to uncheck Phantom Tracks as a work around. I will test that. (3) the camera and video buttons are hit and miss. Sometimes, it will start video, sometimes it won't.

I need to play with it more. I think you are in the right track but the app needs polish.

I have a Phantom 2 Vision PLUS v3.0 running ver 3.08 firmware. I tried the app on a 7" Asus MeMo Pad running Android 4.4.4 and the app eventually crashed and caused tablet to reboot on its on. Very sluggish. I also tried on my HTC ONE M8 running Android 4.4.4 with no sluggishness. However, it was still difficult to take pictures and video.

djsydvicious said:
Initial impressions... (1) I think it needs to be cleaned up a bit. I'm sure the look will be worked on later after the functionality is perfectly in place. It can actually be confusing. (2) It doesn't seem to always pickup that I'm connected to the network first. I always get dialog to connect to Internet to allow signin first for SDK access. I think I read that I need to uncheck Phantom Tracks as a work around. I will test that. (3) the camera and video buttons are hit and miss. Sometimes, it will start video, sometimes it won't.

I need to play with it more. I think you are in the right track but the app needs polish.

I have a Phantom 2 Vision PLUS v3.0 running ver 3.08 firmware. I tried the app on a 7" Asus MeMo Pad running Android 4.4.4 and the app eventually crashed and caused tablet to reboot on its on. Very sluggish. I also tried on my HTC ONE M8 running Android 4.4.4 with no sluggishness. However, it was still difficult to take pictures and video.

I noticed the message about being connected for the 1st time last night. I've traced it down to timing with the SDK. I found that if you had already done it once you can ignore the message after and try to open the flight screen again and by the second time the SDK has reported in. Before I added the message box it would happen later, after flight screen opened but caused random issues if the SDK hadn't registered. I've been learning a lot of the idiosyncrasies of the DJI SDK especially as the app gets loaded on more devices that have differing CPU speeds.

Some of the functionality issue you mention are not within my area to fix and I am filing bugs with DJI for any reported. The camera start, take photo as an example. The button press calls an SDK method directly (it's like 2 lines of code) and then at some point in the future the SDK reports that video recording has started. I originally had the status change at the same time the request was sent to the SDK but it looked strange when the video turned on (when the button pressed) and off a second later (when DJI reported that video wasn't started). These timing and random failures have been escalated to DJI and they have indicated an SDK update with fixes soon.

Unfortunately I think I'm one of the 1st developers to make such heavy use of the Android SDK and the quality of the SDK is slightly behind that of the iOS SDK. By version numbers the iOS SDK is 2 versions ahead of Android so I'm guessing there are fixes in the iOS version that haven't yet been ported into the Android SDK.

I will continue to try my best to work around these issues as they are found but unfortunately many don't show up on my 3 devices so I have a reliance on people like yourself to report them and for that I have a great appreciation both for the time you take to find and report the issues as well as the support.

A question was asked about the return policy and I found the following...

This is in case you want to test out the app on your device before making a final commitment to keep the app.

Reference: https://support.google.com/googleplay/a ... 4336?hl=en

Return paid apps & games

After purchasing an app or game on Google Play, you can return it within two hours for a full refund.

If the return period has passed, we recommend contacting the app developer directly. You can find an app developer's contact information listed on an app or game's detail page on Google Play.

Keep in mind you can't return an app or game more than once.

kenargo said:
djsydvicious said:

I noticed the message about being connected for the 1st time last night. I've traced it down to timing with the SDK. I found that if you had already done it once you can ignore the message after and try to open the flight screen again and by the second time the SDK has reported in. Before I added the message box it would happen later, after flight screen opened but caused random issues if the SDK hadn't registered. I've been learning a lot of the idiosyncrasies of the DJI SDK especially as the app gets loaded on more devices that have differing CPU speeds.

Some of the functionality issue you mention are not within my area to fix and I am filing bugs with DJI for any reported. The camera start, take photo as an example. The button press calls an SDK method directly (it's like 2 lines of code) and then at some point in the future the SDK reports that video recording has started. I originally had the status change at the same time the request was sent to the SDK but it looked strange when the video turned on (when the button pressed) and off a second later (when DJI reported that video wasn't started). These timing and random failures have been escalated to DJI and they have indicated an SDK update with fixes soon.

Unfortunately I think I'm one of the 1st developers to make such heavy use of the Android SDK and the quality of the SDK is slightly behind that of the iOS SDK. By version numbers the iOS SDK is 2 versions ahead of Android so I'm guessing there are fixes in the iOS version that haven't yet been ported into the Android SDK.

I will continue to try my best to work around these issues as they are found but unfortunately many don't show up on my 3 devices so I have a reliance on people like yourself to report them and for that I have a great appreciation both for the time you take to find and report the issues as well as the support.
Thank you for your replies. I will try to work with you to get the product to where you want it to be. At its current stage, I don't think I can view it as a replacement for the DJI Vision App. However, I do believe over time and continued development of the SDK by DJI, the product will eventually get there.

Keep up the good work and let me know if your need and logs or items to test.

I think you should be able to touch the screen of the map screen to remove the caching instructions from the screen to view and utilize the map. I believe it's currently a static screen.

Also, sometimes on the screen that shows person on the map screen representing the current location on the map, I will see a thin vertical line and/or a thin horizontal line intersecting on the screen.

It's this by design?

Also, on the menu screen where it shows the Wifi connected to at the top in the white horizontal bar, sometimes the Access Point name is red and sometimes it's green. Even when connected, it shows red.

Also, is there a way to go to the device's WiFi settings by clicking on that white bar?

Thanks for the report; I'll comment on each one below:

djsydvicious said:
I think you should be able to touch the screen of the map screen to remove the caching instructions from the screen to view and utilize the map. I believe it's currently a static screen.

It sounds like you are referring to the "Cache Map" page, this is only used to cache maps for offline use. I included this full-screen map for convenience of locating the flying location and so that the Google Map tiles cache more completely rather than using the flight screen map. How do think this page should be different?

djsydvicious said:
Also, sometimes on the screen that shows person on the map screen representing the current location on the map, I will see a thin vertical line and/or a thin horizontal line intersecting on the screen.
It's this by design?

It isn't by design but is some artifact coming from Google Map tile paint; my code is not adding lines but I have seen it as well and would like to find a way fix it.

djsydvicious said:
Also, on the menu screen where it shows the Wifi connected to at the top in the white horizontal bar, sometimes the Access Point name is red and sometimes it's green. Even when connected, it shows red.

Thanks for the report, I haven't seen this happen and I'll see if I can track it down and fix it.

djsydvicious said:
Also, is there a way to go to the device's WiFi settings by clicking on that white bar?

Great suggestion; I will add this in a future release.

Change: Re-organized settings

Change: Flight recorder now OFF by default, many lower powered devices have issues with battery and CPU keeping up with file I/O

New: Flight Log (default On): Flight summary: DateTime, FlightTime, MaxDistance, MaxSpeed, MinAltitude, MaxAltitude, MinSatCount, MaxSatCount, MaxBattery, MinBattery

New: Advanced setting: Show Phantom Location on-screen

Fix: Speak could report opening flight screen after changing settings

Known Issues: all crash reports have been resolved or pending DJI investigation

kenargo said:

Change: Flight recorder now OFF by default, many lower powered devices have issues with battery and CPU keeping up with file I/O

New: Flight Log (default On): Flight summary: DateTime, FlightTime, MaxDistance, MaxSpeed, MinAltitude, MaxAltitude, MinSatCount, MaxSatCount, MaxBattery, MinBattery

Flight Log.... My weakness. However, I have a feeling you might just be displaying one stat per each category, and not a log of the flight as it took place(a csv file and kml file). I hope I'm wrong? Btw, your hard work is appreciated! Thank you.

kenargo said:
flyNfrank said:
I joined the beta google group a few days after you created it. Today for the 1st time I tried downloading the beta link shown at the top above the paid version link. When I selected it, it would not allow me to download. It showed 3 reason why I was receiving that message. Was I doing something wrong or is there something to it I don't know about, or?

There is no active beta which is the reason the link is not working; the release app is online and there are a few fixes and mini features being published directly. I'm in planning and research phase for next beta (collecting ideas and user preferences).

Stay tuned.

I forgot to ask, since there is no active beta, does this mean that each time yo post a update here, the release app will soon get the update from the play store?

flyNfrank said:
kenargo said:

Flight Log.... My weakness. However, I have a feeling you might just be displaying one stat per each category, and not a log of the flight as it took place(a csv file and kml file). I hope I'm wrong? Btw, your hard work is appreciated! Thank you.

The app has both. The flight log is a summary, 1 line per flight. The Phantom Tracks is a full flight log with all the parameters listed on the website, off by default.

I changed to a single line by default because too many devices had trouble keeping up with the logging and it consumes a lot of battery. Setting to turn it on is in settings.

Everything you want to log and more.

flyNfrank said:
kenargo said:
flyNfrank said:
I joined the beta google group a few days after you created it. Today for the 1st time I tried downloading the beta link shown at the top above the paid version link. When I selected it, it would not allow me to download. It showed 3 reason why I was receiving that message. Was I doing something wrong or is there something to it I don't know about, or?

There is no active beta which is the reason the link is not working; the release app is online and there are a few fixes and mini features being published directly. I'm in planning and research phase for next beta (collecting ideas and user preferences).

Stay tuned.

I forgot to ask, since there is no active beta, does this mean that each time yo post a update here, the release app will soon get the update from the play store?

Yes, these have been direct updates as they're mostly minor changes and fixes with a few suggestions based on feedback stuck in for good measure but really minor, low-risk changes so I have been publishing straight into main app. Many have been in for some times and just disabled while I tested more.

If all goes as planned I'm hoping to have GPS, follow-me and maybe SRS flight modes in beta next week. Honestly if I can get any one in beta id be happy but all 3 are coming together quite well. Potentially, I might be posting a beta end of day Sunday. If things continue to go well and weather remains good for testing and tuning Sunday may yield first beta.

I know the device I use will pull the data every 200 milliseconds. Last years V+UP app was set to allow a device to collect the data at it's own pace. And this turns out being great if you are a Top Speed Flier like I am. I could collect so much more detailed info with that app then with the Flytrex Flight Logger. It is setup up so that it's data recording happens at a fixed rate of either 250ms up to 1000ms.

flyNfrank said:
I know the device I use will pull the data every 200 milliseconds. Last years V+UP app was set to allow a device to collect the data at it's own pace. And this turns out being great if you are a Top Speed Flier like I am. I could collect so much more detailed info with that app then with the Flytrex Flight Logger. It is setup up so that it's data recording happens at a fixed rate of either 250ms up to 1000ms.

I might meet to give you a setting to control rates. Currently its every 1000ms but I've tested down to 100ms and the buffered write cache I have can keep up on a fast device. Actually, I have the rate timer in code, just not exposed but it sounds like you might like to have access to it.

Its really more about how fast DJI can push it but the setting I have internally to the code already lets you go way down, 50ms but whether or not their SDK can provide the data that fast is to be seen. Since the change is so small, just expose the value, ill refresh the app and you can see what kind of throughput you can get.

The app I used prior to SDK I was told the DJI part was wide open. And that my 200 milliseconds was at that number because that was how fast my device was able to process it. I then saw the numbers from about 5 other devices and none of them processed faster then mine. I was told one device was down around 150ms but I never saw that documented anywhere. So based on that, if the setting could be set at that same 150ms, I would think that setting would be all anyone would ever need.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z