Ultimate Flight (Android)-waypoint + save/load RELEASED!

Re: New app for Phantom Vision and Vision+

Mike_UK said:
Will this work on the Epson Moverio BT-200?

It will not. As far as I am aware the Epson Moverio BT-200 runs Android 4.0 and cannot connect to the Android Store. The app is Android 4.2 and above and will only be available through the store.

Please correct my if I misunderstand the Epson Moverio BT-200 specs.

I'm hoping they update to a newer Android version.

phalcon51 said:
Hey kenargo,

I have a question about the app. I noticed that when I go from the camera view/map view split screen to the camera only view the camera image, rather than expanding to fill the available space both horizontally and vertically, simply stretches the image horizontally only, giving a disproportionate view of what the camera is seeing. Will this be corrected in the final release?

Gary

Camera display is controlled by DJI in this version; I pass the screen area and they have a component that does everything else. My understanding from talking to DJI dev team is that currently Android only sends high res over Wi-Fi and the decoder decides according to setting. How they handle display under the covers is a black box to me but I have added to my list for future to write my own decide but I don't have a date when I expect to have that work completed. It will be done, that I can say for certain but what will depend somewhat on DJI and what the SDK gives me.

jaykay2PT said:
kenargo said:
New version available at the download site:

http://www.kenargo.com/AndroidApps/Ulti ... nload.html

Nothing really new with regard to features but I have ported the just released DJI SDK for Android and it appears to have fixed all remaining random crashes but more importantly it is said to have fixed support for Android 5. I cannot confirm that Android 5 works with the app as I don't have a physical device running Android 5 so I'm hoping one of the pilots using the app who may also have an Android 5 device can give it a fly and report back.

Thanks and enjoy.

Hi ken,

Just downloaded this version to my Nexus 7 (2013) running Android 5.0.2 and it works fine!

Not flown yet but fully functional in all respects, weather not permitting flying yet!

thank you , keep up the good work

Yea!!!!

Nice to hear that the new version works on Android 5; that will make a lot of people happy!

Thanks for testing it.

robb01 said:
Can you have the official App loaded as well on the tablet?

Yes, in fact one of the devices I test on is a Samsung Tablet and an LG Tablet; both work well. The app has a slightly different screen layout for tablets because of more space and there will be some features that may be tablet specific, also because of screen space.

Thanks

philarvropagan said:
jaykay2PT said:
Hi ken,

Just downloaded this version to my Nexus 7 (2013) running Android 5.0.2 and it works fine!

Not flown yet but fully functional in all respects, weather not permitting flying yet!

thank you , keep up the good work
Hi Jaykay,
It sounds good, thanks for the information.
Is your Phantom in the last v3.10 or still in the 3.08 ?

My current configuration is DJI 3.0.56/Nexus 10/Android 5.02/Phantom v3.08 and my main concern is that the DJI app crashes when I start the props.
May be the last v3.10 fixes it but I keep waiting a bit before upgrading as I can still fly using my wife's smartphone.
This new app, beyond the attractive features it brings, might clear the situation and let me use the Nexus again, no matter the firmware 3.08 or 3.10.

One more thing : the "radar" never worked properly on the DJI app. When reading Kenargo litterature, I understand that it is handled differently in his app and so, could also work on the Nexus. This is also important to me as my Phantom often leaves my LOS. Getting the compass and bearing operational is then very helpful to make the Phantom flying back to home.

Just to clarify, this thread is NOT the DJI Vision Android app, it is an app I am writing and is available here: http://www.kenargo.com/AndroidApps/UltimateFlight

The new release, posted last night makes use of a new drop of the JDI SDK which appears to fix crashes on Android 5.

Please don't confuse the 2 apps.

Thanks,
Ken

philarvropagan said:
Hi Kenargo,

I've just downloaded your great app but no way for me to try it out today because of the strong wind.

Just one question (I didn't see answer on that point in the thread) : how do you put a map in cache ?
As I use a tablet, I won't remain connected to the Internet when flying.
I entered the Map app of the DJI Ultimate Flight (Google map icon) and zoomed on the place I'd like to catch ... and then, what do I have to do ?
Thanks a lot.

There are 2 ways, from the flight screen or from the Google-Map tile. The Google-Map tile is the better way since it will allow you to move to the location you will fly. In short, open the screen, find your flight location and let the maps load. Maps cached!

kenargo said:
Just to clarify, this thread is NOT the DJI Vision Android app, it is an app I am writing and is available here: http://www.kenargo.com/AndroidApps/UltimateFlight
The new release, posted last night makes use of a new drop of the JDI SDK which appears to fix crashes on Android 5.
Thanks,
Ken

I don't Kenargo :) It's just that I was wondering if your app was working better than the DJI official app on features like the compass display. Moreover, since my Nexus is under Lollipop, the DJI app crashes when the props start.
According to Kayjay (who also has a Nexus), I've got the confirmation that your app works fine even with Lollipop ... and that's great ;)
Now I cant' wait testing it out !
Thanks a lot for your dev.

kenargo said:
There are 2 ways, from the flight screen or from the Google-Map tile. The Google-Map tile is the better way since it will allow you to move to the location you will fly. In short, open the screen, find your flight location and let the maps load. Maps cached!

Thanks a lot for the explanation and your quick answer !

I have been away from this forum for a while. Now found this interesting thread and very interesting development project. Thank's Ken.

Will Ultimate Flight support wireless download of DNG images? If not, please add the feature.

When you implement Ground Station, please support both waypoint and mission save & load.

Attachments

• UltimateFlight_TBD.JPG
    UltimateFlight_TBD.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 523

read the second link I posted, it outlines the current features as well as the future features. It looks as if you will eventually be able to plan and save missions.

The suggestion of live DNG download (into Adobe lightbridge perhaps?) might be a good feature for some people if the wifi can support the datastream rate needed for that and the rest of the data the wifi connection needs to handle to and from the bird. I don't think the wifi is robust for something like that though, but I could be wrong.

PhilD13 said:
read the second link I posted, it outlines the current features as well as the future features. It looks as if you will eventually be able to plan and save missions.

Few hours ago http://www.kenargo.com/AndroidApps/Ulti ... ePlan.html gave me as in the screen image...

PhilD13 said:
The suggestion of live DNG download (into Adobe lightbridge perhaps?) might be a good feature for some people if the wifi can support the datastream rate needed for that and the rest of the data the wifi connection needs to handle to and from the bird. I don't think the wifi is robust for something like that though, but I could be wrong.

Similar download as DJI app does for JPG and MP4 -files. Actually DJI app V2.x had DNG download already, but for unknown reason they removed it :( I am not asking to do the download while flying, but as an album funtion when quad is on the ground, motors stopped. Taking the SD card out to read the images and putting it back for next session, again and again, will break the tiny SD-card socket. Video files can be larger than DNG, DJI app will download them fine.

P.S. There are number of applications to process DNG -images. Advantages of DNG over JPG are obvious as have discussed many times.

philarvropagan said:
kenargo said:
Thanks,
Ken

I don't Kenargo :) It's just that I was wondering if your app was working better than the DJI official app on features like the compass display. Moreover, since my Nexus is under Lollipop, the DJI app crashes when the props start.
According to Kayjay (who also has a Nexus), I've got the confirmation that your app works fine even with Lollipop ... and that's great ;)
Now I cant' wait testing it out !
Thanks a lot for your dev.

I decided on a slightly different implementation of the compass interface. Since not all devices have a compass the usability of showing the compass direction is not so interesting (or at least that is my thought today). What I decided against was a fixed compass, where the aircraft orientation shows the bearing of the aircraft and an inner ring shows the bearing to home point. If you rotate the Phantom so that it points to the {H} then it should be flying home. In addition, since you have a map display you can also point the Phantom in the direction of the little man or home and fly straight towards home. In short, 2 ways to show the same thing depending on if you use the map or the compass.

Hope this makes sense.

AnselA said:
I have been away from this forum for a while. Now found this interesting thread and very interesting development project. Thank's Ken.

Will Ultimate Flight support wireless download of DNG images? If not, please add the feature.

When you implement Ground Station, please support both waypoint and mission save & load.

I have some really nice features I'm thinking of for when Ground Station is added. Development for GS ideally begins this week on once I get the V1 onto the App Store.

GS features will most certainly include save/load as I have a fair number of requests for people that want to take the same photos time and time again using the same flight and It appears I will be able to control flight direction with GS flight (aka, fly between waypoints while the camera points at a point of interest or even while camera points backwards or sideways). Initial investigations looks very promising and I should know more in a few weeks once I get some code running.

I'm hoping to implement follow-me but I need to investigate good methods to support this that will be supported on most Android devices. In order to do well it might only work on devices that are GPS enabled (to manage location follow) but I need to implement a histogram identification algorithm in order to manage camera point (though I might be able to get away with using bearing against GPS location and have it close enough).

This is just a few of the things I have on the list and the website includes a form to submit ideas if you have some you'd like to add.

Thanks for the interest.

Ken

kenargo,

Is there any requirement (perhaps I missed somewhere) to uninstall the DJI or other phantom app before installing and using your app?

I am having issues with settings on the settings page not remaining the way I set them. This occurs with all settings, I have just mentioned a few examples below.

For examples
I can turn on Phantom Tracks and it will not be on
Return to home to On and it will not remain on
I can set FPV to off and the setting will not be off as evidenced by the gimbal action of the camera
I can set the auto camera start to off and it will remain on evidenced by the video camera starting at start of flight.

The issue seems to be repeatable but somewhat random in nature. For example I can turn off FPV and without touching anything wait a bit before exiting the settings screen and the setting might remain off, but not always.

After an app crash the settings seem to randomly change state.

Not sure where the settings are stored but if they are not kept in a settings file on , perhaps they could be.

The one selection that is very consistent is the Display units. Once set it remains at the selected setting even if the app crashes.

I would suggest that instead of using sliders for the selections, to use a check box with a green check like DJI does for selected or add a save settings button on the screen so the settings selections can be saved properly. Maybe by using check boxes or providing a save settings button the setting change would be recorded properly.

I see there is a bug in the app when the screen is switched to the Live View only screen, in that the informational icons across the screen top are not displayed across the top. Only the wifi signal strength is displayed and it is displayed at the far left of the screen on top of the return arrow. On the original and full map screen the icons are distributed properly.

I would suggest an option to make the compass in the lower left display operate in one of two modes. Your preferred mode (180 out as it currently is) and the original DJI (indicator arrow shows true heading of bird) mode which I think better (not confusing) for persons coming from the DJI app.

Phone used:
Android version: 4.4.2 (KitKat)
Motorola DROID RAZR Max HD

DJI Ultimate Flight
version: 1/31/2015 Release Candidate 6 (final)

First, I'd like to say how much I appreciate the feedback and attention to detail in your description of your issues. I'll reply below per issue.

Is there any requirement (perhaps I missed somewhere) to uninstall the DJI or other phantom app before installing and using your app?

No, there is no requirement to uninstall the Vision app but the 2 apps cannot be running at the same time since only a single app can connect to the Phantom at any one time.

I would suggest an option to make the compass in the lower left display operate in one of two modes. Your preferred mode (180 out as it currently is) and the original DJI (indicator arrow shows true heading of bird) mode which I think better (not confusing) for persons coming from the DJI app.

This is a current bug; with the last SDK update from DJI they changed the way the phantom reports yaw (bearing). It should point in the direction the Phantom is flying. The fix will be posted later tonight, I'm just finishing testing.

I would suggest that instead of using sliders for the selections, to use a check box with a green check like DJI does for selected or add a save settings button on the screen so the settings selections can be saved properly. Maybe by using check boxes or providing a save settings button the setting change would be recorded properly.

Settings UI is Android managed (defined in XML, no code), Vision app uses a custom implementation of the settings UI so they show a very non-standard Android settings surface. I will consider changing this in the future depending on feedback but for now it is much more consistent with Android standards and as a benefit I don't need to manage the settings; they are managed and saved for free.

I am having issues with settings on the settings page not remaining the way I set them. This occurs with all settings, I have just mentioned a few examples below.

For examples
I can turn on Phantom Tracks and it will not be on
Return to home to On and it will not remain on
I can set FPV to off and the setting will not be off as evidenced by the gimbal action of the camera
I can set the auto camera start to off and it will remain on evidenced by the video camera starting at start of flight.

The issue seems to be repeatable but somewhat random in nature. For example I can turn off FPV and without touching anything wait a bit before exiting the settings screen and the setting might remain off, but not always.

After an app crash the settings seem to randomly change state.
I will investigate. It is interesting since Android handles all this under the covers for me so I wouldn't expect there to be issues unless I forgot to mark them as persistent but they are.

Not sure where the settings are stored but if they are not kept in a settings file on , perhaps they could be.

Android stores them in a settings file under Android\data\com.kenargo.djiultimateflight\cache

I see there is a bug in the app when the screen is switched to the Live View only screen, in that the informational icons across the screen top are not displayed across the top. Only the wifi signal strength is displayed and it is displayed at the far left of the screen on top of the return arrow. On the original and full map screen the icons are distributed properly.

Are you using a small-screen device? I need to check the layout and knowing the device screen size will help me locate and correct the issue.

I am having issues with settings on the settings page not remaining the way I set them.

My error; the settings you mentioned where not marked to persist which would explain why they where not saved. This will be fixed in the release tonight.

Thanks for catching this!

I would check all the settings to make sure they are set to presist while in there.
Thanks!

Yes I am using a small screen device a DROID RAZR Max HD which is a phone not a tablet. It is just on that one screen the icons don't show/are to the left. The other two screens are fine.

Thanks for developing this app. It is really good!

Edit: Thanks for verifying your app can co-exist with another (DJI) app on a device.

New version posted:

Fixed: Yaw was 180 degrees off: DJI changed the relative bearing reading for yaw and as such the display was 180 degrees off.

Fixed: a number of error reporting surfaces where not correct usually never seen.

Change: Format SD card, Reset Camera Settings, live resolution and select Camera Mode now close the camera menu as these commands tend to be used stand-alone and not along with other operations.

New: One-click HDR
This camera mode takes a series of three photos with bracketed exposure values with just one camera click.
The camera will take one shot at the current exposure setting, one stop underexposed by 1 offset value,
and shot overexposed by 1 offset value.

New: Advanced setting: InterPhoto time (ms) between HDR frames. Defaults to 1000ms (1 second).

Fixed: Camera mode was not always initialized to show current setting

Fixed: Camera icon was not always set correctly

Fixed: Save new camera mode as global setting UI was being shown even though camera mode is not saved in Phantom

Fixed: Some settings not being saved.

Fixed: On small screens, when selecting full screen live image the information icons where overtop one another.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik