Uk goverment proposes drone registration

Our friends over the pond get it revoked in March, and our government propose introducing it...

No Doubt there will be a witch hunt over the next few weeks by none drone flyers around the UK

I can't see how it makes a difference if its registered in all honesty. I mean.. Let's say I registered... Then I flew illegally... How are they going to get my drone registration number flying fast at 200 metres? Only way is to follow the drone and see where it lands... That's the only way it can be done regardless of being registered or not. My only concern is the geofencing being expanded. I fly by the Thames at a low level. If the geofence gets put in place then I will use litchi.

Yeh saw this in paper today - when does it come into effect and how intense will it be and costs ? I'm a member of BMFA if that helps but, never took an actual course. I would of if had been much cheaper but, only seemed needed if commercial and that cost a bomb for a course. I use just for self. Always try to read up on stuff and keep as careful and sensible as can LOS etc.

Yeh saw this in paper today - when does it come into effect and how intense will it be and costs ? I'm a member of BMFA if that helps but, never took an actual course. I would of if had been much cheaper but, only seemed needed if commercial and that cost a bomb for a course. I use just for self. Always try to read up on stuff and keep as careful and sensible as can LOS etc.

There's nothing concrete yet watching BBC news earlier today.

Reading / listening / surfing various news bits during the day, so for this is the word on the street.....
Ready?? So.... some are suggesting compulsory registration at the time of purchase; others, additionally, that they must have compulsory training and CAA registration and have a minimum of TP insurance! Deep joy.... Having said all that, this is Britain, so it'll come into effect in 2032 and by that time, there'll be the DJI Sonab V that'll be submersible to 150 feet, have a level top speed of 115mph and 190 in a dive; a 550mp sensor with 18-300 eqv lens, a 4hour flight time, autonomous 360 degree obstacle avoidance and an autonomous range of 358miles and all allowed at a maximum height of 200 feet. Well, they had to reduce it to avoid the flying double-decker buses....

I am surprised that you think it will come in that early. You missed out the committee of enquiry and of course the review of the results from the enquiry, and putting out to public consultation, before doing something entirely opposite. One thing you can guarantee is that it will make more money for the government in fees. Then of course it will still not work because they didn't listen to the right people in the first place.

Yes I am also with the BMFA and fly fixed wing models and have a A certificate so I am hoping that if I take the multi rotor A cert this will count as a drone exam, this will of course cost me nothing as part of a model club but a drone exam as there proposing will cost and of course many will be making a tidy profit out of just like the commercial pfaw

seriously though it could end up coming in soon and costing a lot... if it does then I cant afford extras on top and many be selling the drones or use illegally...then it will be what happens and how is enforced and what the fines are etc... but, this could come in soon to make requires take same as commercial exam and costs... ? Only recently bought mine and now wondering how much longer get to use it...

How do I take the A certificate... ? I'm member of BMFA but, had join as single member since not clubs near me...

I doubt that it will cost the same as the commercial course. That is currently costing me about twice the price of the drone. Was it worth it? I have learned a lot and I am much more safety conscious when flying, but that price is way too much. I had heard that the certificate is to be an online one, which means it could be answered 'open book'. It strikes me that that route will be so,open to,fraud as to be useless. For hobby flyers the best route would seem to be through the BMFA , but would the government make enough money out of that? The other important thing to remember is that these proposals are routed in sthe EASA, document, I.e. European. Will brexit affect them?
However, I do believe that there might be a role for existing, competent pilots to have a role as well. Perhaps those who have a PfCO, and/or have a certain number of flying hours logged. But that also raises further questions. Do those programmed missions that many use count as flying hours, as they are not piloting the aircraft per se.
A lot of water still to go under the bridge on this one yet. Doesn't harm to be prepared though.

If I have to pay a course even near the cost of the drone I have to sell up and forget it. Sure I made an investment but, it was just for something I can use on a sunny day when I have the time and in the mood to take some nice pics. I don't care about sports mode or flying fast etc. I joined BMFA and try to use a bit of common sense. Granted a small simple intro course costing less than £100 is maybe something I would consider but, anything beyond that then I'm afraid I'm out. I don't work currently and not going into reasons but, I have sod all now. If this comes in like the usual rip of Britain crap (as stated popping up everywhere and licence to make money) then I'm out. Fly round my own house and friends fields - surely private land they have no say over or do they own all the air space? hmmm I would love be part of a club but there is none near me and someone did mention about Rhyl but, I'm not there often enough in the area to make special trip out but, again if there was a course could be done through BMFA for free then it would be worth it. I think as usual it will go over the top and be in end like a mini commercial licence costing similar and proving pointless. Just counts to get rid of drone users by pricing them out only for the serious pros eliminating the average joe hobbyist. I hardly used mine so far anyway - couple of practice flights then simple ones around nice areas, slow an careful - keeping LOS as well as having screen and all safety things turned on. Checking on google the area and using some common sense - defiantly nowhere near airports of over busy streets or roads or flying at people etc. but, already know their are people out there who only hear word drone and will want make your life hell. so I think its the idiots who have brought this on - one who fear them irrationally and the ones who have flown them stupidly and now with complaints made rest of us suffer for it.

Anyway my 2 cents - rightly or wrongly. Just foresee stupid exams at stupid prices looming and having to sell something only just getting to enjoy occasionally.

As for the course with BMFA - is it something can be taken now? A Cert... is there a cost and how do I sign up with BMFA to take it?

Last edited:
I do not think it is something they offer per se, but it might be worth asking them directly. I am doing the commercial licence for my own reasons, and making money is not one of them. I thoroughly agree with you that if the cost exceeds even £75 then it would be too much, because you would have to add in the cost of the certificate itself. Worry not yet though. This will take a long time, its the British government remember.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen