UAV Locator (GPS Tracker) Placement on P3

Reaction score
The Vision Positioning sensors are located where many would typically place their locators. Where are you all planning on placing them now? I know it's a manageable problem, just want to get your ideas. Trying to plan ahead.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Jeff
I have a UAV Locator and I recently came across a holder that attaches to one of the legs so that's the way I'm going. Also realized I can't use my gimbal protector since it would interfere with the positioning system.

cqr35, I've posted a link - I've been using it for a few months and works great. I test it every time before I fly, making sure when I call my assigned number and receive my text message, that my +v3 location is accurate on the map.

Not positive it will fit without blocking the sensors so still researching...

There is also an international model...

http://drone-mods.com/Drone-Mods-UAV-Locator-DM005.htm

Last edited:
I have a UAV Locator and I recently came across a holder that attaches to one of the legs so that's the way I'm going. Also realized I can't use my gimbal protector since it would interfere with the positioning system.

Can you give us somemore information? Link, maker, etc. Was looking and came across another forum discussion but still want to explore options as I consider it a must have. Has already paid for itself when I had an autolanding out of sight.

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/mounting-uav-locator-on-phantom-2-vision.32451/

I've thought about this and decided that the best place for me is probably to mount my GPS tracker just behind the battery. I use 3M DualLock, and will have two strips placed around the battery LEDs. I'll need to make sure there is enough material for a secure fit.

While in flight the GPS locator will block the LEDs (not a big deal really). When the P3 land, I can take the locator off the battery which exposes the battery LEDs where I need it most.

I'm wondering about placing it ontop. I could make a light weight spacer/platform to maker sure it clears the props. There it would be centered so even weight distribution would maximize flight time. I understand, with the previous phantoms no one did this because it could block GPS signal. With the P3, not sure where the GPS receivers are, but since it recieves GLONASS as well as GPS maybe a few less satalites isn't as big a deal.

Why not just Velcro it to the back of the bird overlapping the battery? Can't see the battery LEDs past 100ft anyway.

Hey guys,

Question... Why would not use the "Find My Phantom" function in the DJI app?

Thxs

Regs Chris

We have the Trackimo units in stock, they work great!

http://www.uav-outlet.com/products/trackimo-gps-tracker-1-year-of-gsm-service.html

Trackimo_set_large__65748.1426261632.1000.1200.jpg
How do you suggest mounting these?

Good point. I was going to attach it to the rear of the gimbal protector but I now wont be doing that on the p3.

I only say this as if I open up the DJI app now and ask it where is my Phantom? it see it in the last location I had it last powered on three days ago and it's very very close to the last known spot where I turned it off.......within a meter.

I only say this as if I open up the DJI app now and ask it where is my Phantom? it see it in the last location I had it last powered on three days ago and it's very very close to the last known spot where I turned it off.......within a meter.
the assumption here is that you've lost signal so the app won't update with anymore than the last known position.

So don't you think the app knows the last known location of the phantom? mmmmmm ? I know my PH 2 V+ does.... I can land it anywhere with power on or off and then look at "find my phantom" app and it will tell me its last known location. This location is updated live in the app as the phantom fly's around the place.

So don't you think the app knows the last known location of the phantom? mmmmmm ? I know my PH 2 V+ does.... I can land it anywhere with power on or off and then look at "find my phantom" app and it will tell me its last known location. This location is updated live in the app as the phantom fly's around the place.
It will know the last known location but if it flys out of range and can't communicate with the controller the controller won't know where it went so find my phantom will only show where it was at the last point of location.

Last known location and where it currently is are not necessarily the same place.

ok coolz... thxs...

This UAV locator talked about here, will it work in Australia? the international version talks about 2G / GSM / GPRS.... only

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.