Phantom 4 Advanced - GPS Positioning Issues

Reaction score
I've had my P4A for a few months now - Completed 23 flights with no issues at all, until yesterday evening.

Earlier in the day i had been flying about 100 miles from home without any issues at all. I traveled back home, but still had 1 full battery left - Not wanting to leave it charged I went round the corner from home to run down the battery in a big open filed I often using to fly my old P3A in.

Initially, everything was normal it picked up GPS and its home position etc. I starting to fly around the field and suddenly it lost all GPS signal and visual sensors - Basically, dumping me straight into ATTI mode with all number of warnings in the app as well as the drone pitching backwards and downwards to the right (i.e. loss of stability) - One of the many errors suggesting that the RTH path would take it through an NFZ (there are no NFZs for miles around where i was).

Checking the warnings in the app see:

- Current RTH route will pass through NFZ
- Satellite positioning off
- Approaching NFZ
- In flight, working GPS encounters disconnect (multiple times)
- In flight, working GPS encounters data exception
- Weak GPS signal, position accuracy may be compromised

I turned the drone around and headed back to my take off point where everything appeared to go back to normal, but i landed it anyway.

I power cycled the drone, first time it came up with no video feed?! and complained about a vision system error, power cycled again and this time it booted up without issue.

I launched it again, everything looked good - starting heading out over the field again and exact same thing happened again, but this time the GPS did not come back at all - to the point when i landed it refused to take off again.

I've had a look at the flight logs and you do see a instantaneous GPS loss - but cant see any reason for it.

I've raised a support ticket with DJI and am awaiting a reply, but has anyone got any ideas???

I suspect i will be sending it back to them :(

I've had a look at the flight logs and you do see a instantaneous GPS loss - but cant see any reason for it.
... has anyone got any ideas???
It sounds like a hardware issue, either a malfunction or a bad connection.
How about sharing the flight data so people can do more than just guess.

Good point i the flight data - this was my second take off after bringing the drone back in:

https://app.airdata.com/main?share=mWeKMq

DJI support have just replied suggesting I do a factory reset and try again (without asking for any logs etc)

My concern is there is something very wrong and putting it up into the air could end in disaster :(

Iain

Airdata does not provide enough information to make any determination. We need to see the actual log. Either upload your .txt log file at the link below, or make your Airdata link "fully" sharable such that we can download the actual file from there.

DJI Flight Log Viewer

Sorry - attached to this reply.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-04-22_[18-55-48].txt
    1.3 MB · Views: 421
Sorry - attached to this reply.
Here's what your flight data looks like: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
You had a number of GPS error messages at 0:45, 2:20, 2:31, 2:33, 4:11, 5:32, 5:34.
These are not normal and show the flight controller is detecting problems with the data it's getting from the GPS.
The GPS Position Nomatch messages are nothing and can be ignored.

It looks like something that needs attention.
It maybe a poor GPS connection or it may be a hardware fault.
(Synch the flight record (click the cloud icon on the flight records page of the app).
Then get onto DJI's online help chat and get them to look into it.

Thanks - kind of what I was expecting.

I’m dealing with them via email currently, told them I wasn’t happy with a simple reset and try again and I was happy to share all the required logs.

Waiting for their next move.

Further reply this afternoon - they have advised me to return it for repair without asking for any further information/logs?!

Given the constancy and seriousness of the problem I think I’m going to just do it.

I’m not happy it’s not either going to fly off by itself or drop out of the sky :(

??
The article explains that DJI don't get to see your flight data unless you choose to upload it to DJI

True, however, I don't believe everything I read and try to read between the lines, and there are a several things I still wonder about.

I recently went to a restaurant in Shrewsbury and a day later Google asked for a review on it. I have since found out that I had been tracked - not only the location, but what route I had travelled to get there. That was broadcast from my mobile phone. This proves to me that data is sent - and I have not given my permission to be tracked so far as I am aware, although I might have. So this proves to me the infrastructure exists as we all know it does.

I also wonder why the U.S. Army have ruled that DJI drones are not to be used. Perhaps its because of location data being sent as per the statement :-

Quote 'In April 2016 news went round the world that DJI drones were quietly beaming data back to Chinese state authorities, via DJI’s proprietary controller app. That data included aircraft telemetry and GPS location data.' Unquote.

Also, if I understand it correctly, when I sign on to the DJI forum, how do they know my distance flown? I certainly have not given any permissions for data gathering.

Mr P was not asked for any logs or data yet DJI accepted his aircraft for further investigation without question. Is this because they already have examined his data?

So, call me paranoiac if you will, but we don't really KNOW what goes on - but we know its possible for data to be sent - with or without permission.

Last edited:
True, however, I don't believe everything I read and try to read between the lines, and there are a several things I still wonder about.
Then read the article again.
They were specifically testing for things you are wondering about.
I recently went to a restaurant in Shrewsbury and a day later Google asked for a review on it. I have since found out that I had been tracked - not only the location, but what route I had travelled to get there. That was broadcast from my mobile phone.
That's between you, Google and your mobile phone. Turn off Location services if you don't want to be tracked.
It doesn't prove anything about your DJI fears.
I also wonder why the U.S. Army have ruled that DJI drones are not to be used. Perhaps its because of location data being sent as per the statement :-

Quote 'In April 2016 news went round the world that DJI drones were quietly beaming data back to Chinese state authorities, via DJI’s proprietary controller app. That data included aircraft telemetry and GPS location data.' Unquote.
And as the recent report explains, the fear and panic caused by that "news" was fake news and completely unfounded.
Also, if I understand it correctly, when I sign on to the DJI forum, how do they know my distance flown? I certainly have not given any permissions for data gathering.
That's no mystery.
If you synch your flight records, DJI knows how far you've flown.
Make a few flights and dan't synch records. Watch your flight distance on their forum stay the same.
Mr P was not asked for any logs or data yet DJI accepted his aircraft for further investigation without question. Is this because they already have examined his data?
Mr P gave scanty details.
Did he synch his flight record?
He didn't say. He just said that they didn't ask for many more info (beyond what he'd already given them).
So, call me paranoiac if you will, but we don't really KNOW what goes on - but we know its possible for data to be sent - with or without permission.
We do have a pretty good idea what goes on and that report that you've completely ignored gives you further details.
DJI have no idea what you do with your drone unless you choose to share the data with them.

Reactions: deltamike
The P4A is on its way back to DJI’s repair facility in the Netherlands.

And as for the question above - I sync all my flight data. I have no real issue in doing it as quite frankly there isn’t anything in there I would be particularly precious over.

Of all their 100s of 1000 of customers, if they are really interested in exactly what I’m doing they can feel free to view my flights. :)

Reactions: deltamike
DJI have received the drone and have confirmed it is a fault 3-in-1 board.

They are replacing the board (which would cost 202 EUR out of warranty!) free of charge - I was hoping for a completely new unit given the age of it, but as long as it resolves the issues I'm happy.

Iain

That’s good news. Glad to see it’s been taken care of.

Paul Caldwell

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl