UAV Forecast app?

Reaction score
For those of you that use the UAV Forecast app, do you use the default settings or set your own parameters? I wound up dropping the min est sats to 10 from 15 because I’ve never had more than 13. I did drop the wind threshold to 15 mph at 75’ because I don’t like flying in high wind and seam to be in the 75-100’ area most of the time. I thought about raising it to 20 mph since it seams to hover around 16-19 mph a lot. Is 20 mph still low enough to get steady pics and video? I’ve hear KP is the one I really want to pay the most attention to. I have it set at 5 right now, is that a realistic threshold? Just trying to wrap my head around this awesome app and set the most realistic thresholds.
7d00898bbcc04ddfbaf83ff42f661970.jpg

Reactions: Kenny1
For those of you that use the UAV Forecast app, do you use the default settings or set your own parameters?
I use this only for reference...and reference only. You can't depend on any facet being completely accurate. The best way is to use good judgement. References are good, but they are only that. You have to remember the name "forecast" which is basically a "best guess".

Reactions: Phill2 and R0bD
The arguably least important prediction is that for Kp. How many times have you been stuck in a departure lounge while the flight crew waited for the Kp to reduce or found you couldn't make a call on your mobile telephone due to elevated solar activity?

I agree with you on the Kp, I also find useless, I think my drones fly fine in up to 20 MPH winds. Temperature, I haven’t really pressed the lower limit but last summer here in Texas I regularly flew in 100 degree weather without issue. Probably 102-3.

I use this only for reference...and reference only. You can't depend on any facet being completely accurate. The best way is to use good judgement. References are good, but they are only that. You have to remember the name "forecast" which is basically a "best guess".

I find looking out the window or going outside more accurate than UAV forecast.

Reactions: Rsm425 and Kenny1
For those of you that use the UAV Forecast app, do you use the default settings or set your own parameters? I wound up dropping the min est sats to 10 from 15 because I’ve never had more than 13. I did drop the wind threshold to 15 mph at 75’ because I don’t like flying in high wind and seam to be in the 75-100’ area most of the time. I thought about raising it to 20 mph since it seams to hover around 16-19 mph a lot. Is 20 mph still low enough to get steady pics and video? I’ve hear KP is the one I really want to pay the most attention to. I have it set at 5 right now, is that a realistic threshold? Just trying to wrap my head around this awesome app and set the most realistic thresholds.
7d00898bbcc04ddfbaf83ff42f661970.jpg

Check out weatherunderground ‎Weather Underground: Forecast or WunderStation ‎WunderStation you can pick from personal weather stations closest to you. I’ve compared wind speeds from many apps using a portable anemometer and these apps have been the most accurate.

For those talking about Kp index and how it's trivial... this is only true for DJI aircraft. I'm not sure how/why DJI is pretty much bullet proof that's not the case for other brands of aUAS. I've had a couple that are very "Kp/Solar Flare" sensitive to the point of not getting a GPS lock if the Kp was over 5/6. Two entirely different manufacturers (not DJI) and bought/built 18 months apart.

One was my very first "Commercial" sUAS and the other was one we used for SAR operations. Both have since been replaced but you could bet your last $$ that if the Kp index was greater than 5 or 6 you would not get a GPS lock.

For those talking about Kp index and how it's trivial... this is only true for DJI aircraft. I'm not sure how/why DJI is pretty much bullet proof that's not the case for other brands of aUAS. I've had a couple that are very "Kp/Solar Flare" sensitive to the point of not getting a GPS lock if the Kp was over 5/6. Two entirely different manufacturers (not DJI) and bought/built 18 months apart.

One was my very first "Commercial" sUAS and the other was one we used for SAR operations. Both have since been replaced but you could bet your last $$ that if the Kp index was greater than 5 or 6 you would not get a GPS lock.
I've never seen kp higher than 2.

Lots of the default settings are of little use.
Since when is cloud cover an issue and the potential effect of KP index is a myth.
As for your satellite numbers, if you've never seen more than 13, you are flying a P3 standard or older drone that only uses the US GPS sats.
All the more modern units use US + Russian satellites and commonly get >20 sats and that explains the higher default setting.
But unless you are flying in a canyon, under dense tree cover etc, you will always have enough satellites to fly wherever/whenever you fly.

I live in South Florida and I’ve seen 5+ on the KP index. One of the most important weather metrics to me is wind direction and speed. It is how I line up my aircraft to take off and land and most of all to be ready should I loose my GPS and go into ATTI mode. When choosing a wether app you have to wonder where do they get their data from. Airports have weather stations for current conditions and apps like ‎AeroWeather Pro are a great source if flying close to airport. To get the most accurate reading closest to me I use ‎WunderStation that gets data from private weather stations closest to you. I believe all other apps just interpolate between public weather stations.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj