TX BEEP! Throttle in the middle

Reaction score
I was under the impression that the TX on the 1.2 Phantom was to Beep upon power up? Once for mode 1 and twice for mode 2. Can someone validate this for me? I also thought that it was supposed to beep if the throttle was on. I get no beepage... Any thoughts?

Second Question Throttle is in the middle return mode? I am not accustom to that. I would expect it is personal preference but Pros and Cons? Who likes this and why and Vice Verse?

I have a V1 and couldn't hear a beep if there was one anyway.

Re: question #2, I think the consensus is that the middle return throttle is a massive advantage for the Ph. If set up stock...or correctly, the middle seeking position will 1) allow idling after motor start without take-off. 2) Once in flight will define GPS controlled "hover and hold" instantly when the throttle is released in GPS mode. In Atti mode it will put the bird into altitude hover but there will be momentum or wind drift. Especially for the newbie, these are priceless safety measures...release the throttle and the bird will hold position until you figure out your orientation or what to do next. Once one ascends to a desired height....on level ground....just releasing the throttle to neutral pretty much instantly/easily defines a constant flying height without further throttle input. You mostly only have three controls to worry about instead of four. No searching for "just right" which isn't going to lock at that height anyway.

^^^^ What he said! :lol: Trust me, you will get used to it quick, and will REALLY appreciate the advantages so eloquently articulated by Mr. Patricelli. I converted my Futaba T8J to center stick on throttle with the spring kit, and fly all my models with it, including an OFM Jumper 600.

PF

Thanks for the insight.

Phantomfan do you have details on the conversion for the futaba?

The auto centering sticks are INCREDIBLE. My futaba doesn't have them and its a pain to fly my F450. I'm constantly having to make small adjustments and its really taxing. It shows on my videos too. Videos look better on my phantom than on my F450 even when I use the zenmuse on the 450. The reason is because its harder to control the altitude so its at 8 feet then 3 feet then 12 feet and this continues throughout the video. With the phantom I can literally put it at 8 feet and drive it around like its a car on the ground. Its basically the single greatest feature on the phantom.

Just ordered the spring kit from Futaba. Here's the details if anyone needs them:

"Due to the very high increase in demand for these "conversion kits" for radio sticks, we can no longer send these out at no charge.
You can order a "package" through us to convert your transmitter, but there is now a charge for this.
You will need part number:
HSP00501 GIMBAL CENTER SET B $ 2.99
However, some of the parts are on back order and we do not have tentative arrival date. It could be a couple months until we have them.
Any prices provided are Manufacturers Suggested Retail Pricing only. You can order that through us at 217-398-8970 option 2. There is a $2.99 shipping and handling charge. Or, you can order it through a local hobby store and not pay shipping. They will have to call their sales rep at Great Planes Distributing and order it over the phone."

Wow...glad I got mine when I did! :D

PF

Ok so I took out my spring prior to posting this "rookie mistake"... I have been flying with it with the throttle not springing back. My question is what is the difference between setting the throttle in the mid position and having it spring to mid position. It seems I leave it there most of the time any way. Don't get me wrong I am planning to convert it back and my futaba to middle. However the huge advantage you speak of is elusive. Also does the spring back need to be calibrated in ?

Elusive???? The Phanto parks itself at whatever altitude you are hovering/flying at when you simply release the sticks. That's hardly an elusive or trivial advantage. It's almost miraculous.

PF

I just ordered the GImbal Center kit and they did not charge for the kit or the shipping. I guess popularity and stock are down and up. SWEET!

PhantomFan Thanks for posted the detailed info. It helped to know what I was talking about.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl