Two Positive Experiences with Public

Reaction score
Today I was at a nearby beach/boat launch, flying my P3S where I have flown numerous times. There was no one near the area and shortly after taking off a fellow pulls up in his car and comes over to me. I asked if I was bothering him. He said he just wanted to watch. He stayed for all three of my 3 flights and asked many positive questions and was genuinely interested. I showed him my screen and talked about what I was doing (taking panos and pictures of the Canada geese landing and flocking up as well as scenery shots).

On my 3rd flight a lady pulled up in her car and asked if I could take pictures of her 5 acre lot nearby. She said she would pay me and gave me her business card (a photographer). I indicated that I only fly for pleasure and likely would not legally be able to do that but would look into it.

I left the area feeling good about the 2 encounters as my 2 other previous encounters with other people haven't been so positive - one lady said it sounded like a gigantic mosquito and two kids reminded me of the new drone rules in Canada (which I have printed out and carry with me).

Hopefully, any future encounters will be positive, like today.

I was driving home from a trip in Burlington (VT) with a friend and we stopped at Vergennes Falls Park to see if it would be a good place to fly my P3S. There was a nice open area by the creek to launch from. While I was getting it ready to launch, some guy was staring at me. Didn't say word, just watched me carefully. After I Iaunched it and flew it down to the falls, he came over. He said he didn't want to bother me but wanted to know if I could see what was on the camera. I showed him the display on my phone and he got quite a kick out of it. He then asked how much it costs, how hard it was to fly, the usual questions. He thanked me and then walked off. It was a positive experience.

TL;DR Vergennes Falls Park is a nice place to fly your drone from.

Arrggghhh... very envious of you all. Around here, there is almost no place to fly recreationally for fun. That's the curse of being a drone pilot in Marin County (just north of San Francisco on the sunny side of the Golden Gate Bridge): We have some of the most spectacular scenery around, yet it is all National Parks, or state and county parks that have banned drones.

Reactions: MTO
There are lots of big open ranches out near Dillon Beach, in Marin County, I bet they would be good spots to fly.

Reactions: Just Mark
There are lots of big open ranches out near Dillon Beach, in Marin County, I bet they would be good spots to fly.
Thank you, Floatin. Dillon Beach is beautiful, although a bit of a trek out there (about 90 minutes).

I will check the regulation there. My first guess is like so many towns and cities around here they have made it illegal to fly a drone (from public property).

There is a place called Aircraft Hill in Mt. Tamalpais State Park that drones and model aircraft are still allowed, but I can't for the life of me find it on a map. I just know it is supposed to be 1/4 south of Four Corners, which also is not really on a map.

And also Stinson Beach overlook (in the National park here).

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. Didn't mean to derail the thread. Hoping everyone has good experiences with civilians and that we act as ambassadors to the drone community.

Arrggghhh... very envious of you all. Around here, there is almost no place to fly recreationally for fun. That's the curse of being a drone pilot in Marin County (just north of San Francisco on the sunny side of the Golden Gate Bridge): We have some of the most spectacular scenery around, yet it is all National Parks, or state and county parks that have banned drones.

I know what you mean. Recently came back from a family road trip out to the Canadian Rockies. Almost every day we were driving through spectacular scenery. Brought my P3S out but didn't fly it once. In every National park there were no drones allowed signs. In Lake Louise (Banff National Park) one sign even said there would be a $20,000 fine for violations. I would never have flown where people were but I didn't want to take any chances and spoil my vacation.

Reactions: Just Mark

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl