Tutorial for beginners

Reaction score
Hi all. Been flying a bit recently and really want to start getting into it more. Is there any beginners videos on YouTube anyone would recommend? I'm interested in flying tips as well as settings to optimise the video.

Cheers
Brad

Hi all. Been flying a bit recently and really want to start getting into it more. Is there any beginners videos on YouTube anyone would recommend? I'm interested in flying tips as well as settings to optimise the video.

Cheers
Brad
Brad, there are hundreds. I started with the official DJI videos. From there your screen will populate a never ending list. Three channels that stood out for me were from Tom's Tech Time, Drone Valley, and a kid (with a really big house and back yard) Carson Miller. Find a channel you like and go from there.

Reactions: MAJoJa
Thank you. I have found a few videos and have been watching them. I also worked out that I have been filming in 1080p rather then 2k (I had been wondering why my videos looked flat compared to others). And to sharpen the colours further I need to do some editing. So much to learn.

Thank you. I have found a few videos and have been watching them. I also worked out that I have been filming in 1080p rather then 2k (I had been wondering why my videos looked flat compared to others). And to sharpen the colours further I need to do some editing. So much to learn.
1080P will give good results without the need for post-production. 1080P and 2.7K are not color profiles. If your image looks flat, go into your camera settings and select a new profile. Sounds like you may have D-Log selected which is designed to be flat and then color graded in post. Go with standard for now. That should make a difference.

Thanks. Yes it was set to d log. Head is spinning with all the possibilities. Any tips on night shooting? I have tried a few but always a bit hit and miss with the results. I tend to get the arm lights blinking in the image. Should I turn them off at night?

Thanks. Yes it was set to d log. Head is spinning with all the possibilities. Any tips on night shooting? I have tried a few but always a bit hit and miss with the results. I tend to get the arm lights blinking in the image. Should I turn them off at night?
I enjoy flying at dusk. It's cooler outside and I can take advantage of the "golden hour" just before sunset. Amazing colors.

The only issue with night flying is safety. Hobbyists like us are not restricted like commercial pilots and so you can turn off the red lights in front if you want to. Just remember that's the front. You're required to have visible orientation. Keep it in a safe area. I added a couple of strobes to mine. One red and one white.

The 2.8 aprature on the P3 is fixed and pretty good in low light. Your shutter speed will drop quite a bit to the point you may see some motion blur. I've seen some impressive city lights on YouTube. Look for Dirty Bird "Follow the Leader" for a good example of what a P3S can do.

Thanks. I’ll try for a dusk flight and see how it goes. I have watched the follow the leader video. Very cool. How did they film that at night? Guess I’ll be doing some more research to get that good a quality video. Motion blur I assume is the blades spinning? Anything I can do to stop it, or just fly backwards?

Thanks. I’ll try for a dusk flight and see how it goes. I have watched the follow the leader video. Very cool. How did they film that at night? Guess I’ll be doing some more research to get that good a quality video. Motion blur I assume is the blades spinning? Anything I can do to stop it, or just fly backwards?
He uses 2 Phantom 3 Standards flying identical missions programmed in Litchi. So you can see the camera does work well at night!

Motion blur is streaking that occurs due to movement. Images are not as crisp. Most people using the Phantom for video try for some motion blur as it looks more natural. Really high shutter speeds create very crisp images but unnatural feeling of movement.

If the props are in your camera view, the aircraft is leaning too far forward. This is normal when aceIlerating but not during normal flight. You can always tilt the camera down a bit or crop the the image in post production. Or as you suggested, fly backwards!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic