Turn Off VPS

Reaction score
I know this has been covered to death but a search for "turn off VPS" yielded:

"The following words were not included in your search because they are too short, too long, or too common: off, vps"

Essentially the search function looked for "turn"....

Can anyone point me in the right direction to turn off vps?

I know this has been covered to death but a search for "turn off VPS" yielded:

"The following words were not included in your search because they are too short, too long, or too common: off, vps"

Essentially the search function looked for "turn"....

Can anyone point me in the right direction to turn off vps?
View media item 153

Reactions: kside001

Your screenshot is very much "right on." But there's one thing that just drives me bonkers in the DJI Pilot app - at least as it applies to my Galaxy S5 - it might be different on other devices.

On my mobile device, the Advanced Settings (part of the MC Settings menus) is actually more than one page. You have to scroll down the page to see the entry about the VPS enable/disable. But you're given absolutely no indication that there's "more" if you scroll down. In some of the camera settings menus, there *is* a "more" that alerts you to another page. It should be a little more consistent. There are several areas (other than camera settings) where a "more" is needed and not used.

Just my two cents.

Definitely. But DJI isn't in the software business. Flying machines? More in their wheelhouse.

Should we be flying with it off ? I haven't had mine on since I got mine . I there anything I'm missing out on ? Benefit to leaving it on or am I better off just leaving it off

VPS does not work when the P3 has a GPS lock. I'm not sure about ultrasonics. Ultrasonics do regulated in the Pilot app. Why not leave it turned on.

So if I was near a pitched roof or a tree it couldn't give a false reading as long as I have gps . Does anyone one else think this is how it works ? Just want use it if is safe. Thankyou

So if I was near a pitched roof or a tree it couldn't give a false reading as long as I have gps . Does anyone one else think this is how it works ? Just want use it if is safe. Thankyou
VPS is for indoor flying, where there is no GPS. If you have a GPS lock, the bird is not VPS assisted.

Reactions: AmosMoses
If you have a GPS lock, the bird is not VPS assisted.

You sure? When its on P mode, the VPS is always on. Its activated when its less 10ft.
You can get GPS acquisitions and do auto take off. If it takes off and doesn't drop altitude or sway, then you know the VPS and GPS is assisting.

Reactions: bobmyers
You sure? When its on P mode, the VPS is always on. Its activated when its less 10ft.
You can get GPS acquisitions and do auto take off. If it takes off and doesn't drop altitude or sway, then you know the VPS and GPS is assisting.
It's on, but not really active. It isn't designed for pitched surfaces or leaves fluttering in the wind or reflecting light ... It just won't do anything. 2' off the ground over grass pavement, yeah it'll do it's job. At least in my experience..

Even if I turn it off in Settings?

set.jpg

Visual Positioning does not do anything... the ultrasonics may. I posted a video showing a P3 that had GPS lock and was hovering over a blanket. I moved the blanket in order to fool the VPS into thinking the P3 was moving but it was not affected. This was because the GPS lock was over-riding VPS.

I found out today that auto-land and/or RTH is a lot rougher landing with VPS off!
That is correct.

Just to clarify:

The VPS is a combined ultrasonic and image data to stabilise. The image data acts like a "pictured GPS" to lock horizontal movement. The ultrasonic is like "barometric IMU sensor" to lock the vertical movement.
If you turn off VPS, you turn off the ultrasonic system as well.
VPS turns on at 10ft below and works hand in hand with the GPS to stabilise at low altitudes. Its on by default unless disabled in the app.
If there is no GPS present then it will follow the ground pattern:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

VPS turns on at 10ft below and works hand in hand with the GPS to stabilise at low altitudes. Its on by default unless disabled in the app.
If there is no GPS present then it will follow the ground pattern:

Just to be clear, the downward facing camera does not over-ride the GPS lock. So as long as the P3 has an acceptable GPS lock, the camera does nothing. This does not mean ultrasonics don't make a difference but this is height only.

Reactions: AmosMoses
Just to be clear, the downward facing camera does not over-ride the GPS lock. So as long as the P3 has an acceptable GPS lock, the camera does nothing. This does not mean ultrasonics don't make a difference but this is height only.

I would suggest to NEVER do what this guy did!! He got really lucky that the blanket didn't fly up into the quad.
I've seen it happen when a buddy used a piece of carpet as a landing pad for his T-Rex heli. Completely destroyed the bird. All it takes is for the wash to get under the blanket and it's game over.

Edit: Here ya go!! Not my buddies crash but pretty much the exact same scenario.

Yes I'm trying to understand , you said auto landed ruff with vps off , but what there saying here is if you have gps lock it shouldn't of used vps whether you put it on or off

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31