Turn Off VPS

I would suggest to NEVER do what this guy did!! He got really lucky that the blanket didn't fly up into the quad.
I've seen it happen when a buddy used a piece of carpet as a landing pad for his T-Rex heli. Completely destroyed the bird. All it takes is for the wash to get under the blanket and it's game over.

Edit: Here ya go!! Not my buddies crash but pretty much the exact same scenario.

See, now no one needs to do this to find out if the VPS system cancels out GPS.

I took the risk so that other people don't need to.

You are welcome.

Reactions: AmosMoses
See, now no one needs to do this to find out if the VPS system cancels out GPS.

I took the risk so that other people don't need to.

You are welcome.
LOL! Thanks and I let other people know not to try this because it's not a good idea. People helping people! That's what makes the world go around.:cool:
You can admit it, you never thought about that blanket flying up into the Phantom. Neither did my buddy and the guy in the video I posted until it was to late! :eek:;)

Yes I'm trying to understand , you said auto landed ruff with vps off , but what there saying here is if you have gps lock it shouldn't of used vps whether you put it on or off

Turning off VPS also turns off the ultrasonic sensor that the P3 can use to determine its altitude as it lands. So, while it won't use VPS with a good GPS lock, it will use the ultrasonic sensor when VPS is enabled.

- - Roger

Reactions: AmosMoses
You can admit it, you never thought about that blanket flying up into the Phantom. Neither did my buddy and the guy in the video I posted until it was to late! :eek:;)

I never thought about it... until it did start to flap up. It flapped up when I was about 3' above it which was better then much lower. So I lowered it to about 2' and tried to keep it in the middle as much as I could.

Also I hope somebody had their hand on the controls and he wasn't a moron that just put the TX down while videoing.

I never thought about it... until it did start to flap up. It flapped up when I was about 3' above it which was better then much lower. So I lowered it to about 2' and tried to keep it in the middle as much as I could.

I'll be honest, I didn't realize that it was your video when I made my first comment. Thought it was just something ya found on YouTube. I would have commented to you directly telling you to be careful!

Now, if you want to further test the vps out, here's one for you. Take it out and let it get a good home lock. Then, bring it indoors with no GPS reception AND TURN THE TX OFF! ;} I think we'd all like to know how the p3 would react. My theory is with no GPS and no TX connection it will just sit in a hover until it regains communication?! I'm not confident enough to try it but there's a lot of us that would like to know! Lol! You in?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I'll be honest, I didn't realize that it was your video when I made my first comment. Thought it was just something ya found on YouTube. I would have commented to you directly telling you to be careful!

Now, if you want to further test the vps out, here's one for you. Take it out and let it get a good home lock. Then, bring it indoors with no GPS reception AND TURN THE TX OFF! ;} I think we'd all like to know how the p3 would react. My theory is with no GPS and no TX connection it will just sit in a hover until it regains communication?! I'm not confident enough to try it but there's a lot of us that would like to know! Lol! You in?

DO NOT ATTEMPT... If sufficient Satellite counts come back whilst indoors with the controller off, it will shoot into the roof as the default RTH is 20m (60ft)..

DO NOT ATTEMPT... If sufficient Satellite counts come back whilst indoors with the controller off, it will shoot into the roof as the default RTH is 20m (60ft)..

Find something and cover the sensor so it can't get GPS back?

Okay how about just regular indoor flight with no home lock or GPS? Loses connection what will happen?
Someone has to be willing to test it!

Last edited:
Find something and cover the sensor so it can't get GPS back?

Okay how about just regular indoor flight with no home lock or GPS? Loses connection what will happen?

Foil can be used to block the GPS.

For indoor flights with no home lock and you lose controller connection, then it will just hover till the battery goes into autoland. There is chance that it can still pick up sats indoor and if your battery is low or someone turns off your controller (loss of connection) then RTH is triggered.

If you are going to do indoor flights, disable RTH or set RTH height = 0.

Foil can be used to block the GPS.

For indoor flights with no home lock and you lose controller connection, then it will just hover till the battery goes into autoland. There is chance that it can still pick up sats indoor and if your battery is low or someone turns off your controller (loss of connection) then RTH is triggered.

If you are going to do indoor flights, disable RTH or set RTH height = 0.

Test it and post the video? I've been through the manual several times and can't find that info.
I agree with ya in theory but we need test evidence.

Test it and post the video? I've been through the manual several times and can't find that info.
I agree with ya in theory but we need test evidence.

No thanks - i don't do indoors. If i wanted to, i would attach the P2/P3 on a broom stick. i don't trust the VPS yet.

Theory applies in real world. If no sats, then it will go into ATTI and drift till battery is low and land.
If home point is established and you have sats, then it will return to home if you lose connection or turn off controller. This means up 20m and then home.

There was a real 747 pilot on youtube who broke his toe and cut his fingers when his P2 shot into the roof. He bumped his controller and the battery came loose. This triggered RTH - his RTH was his garden as the phantom's GPS has a tolerance of 1-2 meters depending on the sat count.

Trust me... I did not mind at all. If I had thought of it I should have added a disclaimer.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr