Tried to fly today for the first time. Got a couple questions.....

Reaction score
P3P w Crystal Sky monitor, the small one. Powered everything up, started to scroll thru the Crystal Sky stuff. Finally got to a screen that said "poor connection, be cautious when flying" and something about to much interference or something to that effect. Never got a picture on the screen from the camera. Camera did turn on and run thru a function test. Was connected/logged in to my WiFi in the house and was only 35-40 ft outside the house. Motors would not start.
Now, I am just over 5 miles from the local airport and according to DJI, I am just outside the outermost limit for flight. No other big power lines near my location. The controller was only 3-5 ft away from the aircraft at the time.
What gives?

Edit to add: One other thing was, the Crystal Sky kept asking me if it was an inspire 1 or???

Last edited:
Wifi connection to your house or any other wifi has nothing to do with flying the Phantom.
Being close to the airport has nothing to do with the problems you are having, that would only give your warnings on the app and prevent the motors from flying.
Power lines have nothing to do with anything at all. They do not interfere with flying, image transmission or connection. I fly near high voltage and cellular towers a lot. Zero issues.
It seems like you have a connection problem either with a usb cable or the tablet/monitor you are using.

What Phantom do you have ?

If Advanced / Pro - Are you using the USB cable supplied by DJI to connect controller to screen ? Not all cables work.

If Standard - then you need to change from home WiFi to the Phantom WiFi.

Nigel

Phantom 3 Pro. I have the new Crystal Sky monitor and mount. Basically should be plug and play. All batteries are charged. Everything was plugged in and turned on. Strange part to me was the monitor asked if it was Inspire, Inspire 1 or I believe there was a 3rd Inspire option.

If you're using DJI GO app, then you should be asked upon first opening which unit you have. Swipe sideways (IOS) to determine between Inspire, Phantom, Matrice and Osmo. Then there is a drop down box that allows you to choose which model of each craft you have - for phantoms that's Pro, Advanced Standard etc.

Reactions: Oso
If you're using DJI GO app, then you should be asked upon first opening which unit you have. Swipe sideways (IOS) to determine between Inspire, Phantom, Matrice and Osmo. Then there is a drop down box that allows you to choose which model of each craft you have - for phantoms that's Pro, Advanced Standard etc.

THANKS! OK, got the aircraft determined. Sure would be nice if somewhere in the manuals they would tell you about swiping sideways. Aircraft powers up and gives me the green lights. Still have the "weak controller signal" with everything powered up and lots of green lights on the controller and the aircraft. Controller was only 4 ft away from aircraft. Read the manual from cover to cover and can not find anything that may be causing this issue.
Also, on the Crystal Sky monitor battery, when I hit the button once, all the lights come on then go off. I have tried to push it once, then again and hold for 2 seconds, does the same thing. Nowhere in any of the manuals does it tell you how to turn this thing on and get lights.

Technically - if you have connection - then GO should not need to be swiped to correct model. If it does - then IMHO - something is not completely correct ...
Go should automatically select correct model.

Nigel

If I get a green light on both the aircraft and the controller, that means that they are linked, correct?
Everything here is brand new, a/c and controller were bought from Amazon as refurbed units. Came sealed in the DJI box and everything.
Possibly a bad controller?

What GO are you using ? With a P3P you can only use GO BEFORE 4 version ....

The GO 4 version is ONLY for P4 and later machines ... NOT for P3

Second. Once GO loaded - you MUST login to DJI via home wifi to create Account ... then it 'opens up' GO to your use.

Nigel

What GO are you using ? With a P3P you can only use GO BEFORE 4 version ....

The GO 4 version is ONLY for P4 and later machines ... NOT for P3

Second. Once GO loaded - you MUST login to DJI via home wifi to create Account ... then it 'opens up' GO to your use.

Nigel

Just plain Go. I have logged in and created an account. I have connected to my WiFi.

When you downloaded GO .... you did select GO BEFORE 4 ..... ?

Just trying to be absolutely sure .. you say plain GO ... there is no plain GO ...

Nigel

When you downloaded GO .... you did select GO BEFORE 4 ..... ?

Just trying to be absolutely sure .. you say plain GO ... there is no plain GO ...

Nigel
I don't know very much about the CrystalSky monitors, but they do come with DJI GO (plain GO?) and also DJI GO 4 already installed. As far as I know, the devices have no access to the play store to download other apps.

Crystal Sky main screen.JPG

Also, on the Crystal Sky monitor battery, when I hit the button once, all the lights come on then go off. I have tried to push it once, then again and hold for 2 seconds, does the same thing. Nowhere in any of the manuals does it tell you how to turn this thing on and get lights.
The button on a CrystalSky battery is only to check the battery level which seems to work fine as you noted. It is not for turning the battery itself on or off.

P3P w Crystal Sky monitor, the small one.
I have the new Crystal Sky monitor and mount.
Just to be clear you have the CrystalSky mount with the built in cable and you are using that built in cable to connect to the USB port on your RC?

Well, that answered that! This particular Crystal Sky monitor is a hunk of junk. Loaded JDI Go on my antique I-phone 5c that is nearly out of storage, and had my first flight. Still had the Crystal Sky and mount on the controller so I just sat my phone on the hood of my car and stayed close with the controller while I was getting a feel for the Phantom's flight controls. What a fiasco!

The more I think about this, the more I think that maybe the MOUNT/CABLE was the issue all along. Never really connected. Almost always had the "poor connection" warning.Perhaps the mount/cable was what was doing all the bad stuff. As soon as I hooked my phone up, everything started working. At any rate, called DJI customer service, and have a replacement Crystal Sky and mount in process.
I think.
Everyone I talked to was from India. Very VERY hard to understand........

The more I think about this, the more I think that maybe the MOUNT/CABLE was the issue all along. Never really connected. Almost always had the "poor connection" warning.Perhaps the mount/cable was what was doing all the bad stuff. As soon as I hooked my phone up, everything started working. At any rate, called DJI customer service, and have a replacement Crystal Sky and mount in process.
I think.
Everyone I talked to was from India. Very VERY hard to understand........
Sounds like good progress in your troubleshooting.

If you want to try testing the CrystalSky monitor without the built in cable, you can try using an external cable from the monitor directly to your RC. It would be a good troubleshooting test. If you choose to try it without the built in mount cable, you need to use the micro USB port on the monitor so you need a micro USB to USB cable.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl