Traveling With Phantom 3... Tips?

III% Steve is right. They are not allowed to cut locks off of checked baggage with a DECLARED firearm inside. They have to contact you (the owner, and only person that (should) have the key/combo) to come open it, if any additional inspection is requested by TSA.
That may be so:

"Yes, TSA might clear your gun case upon your departure. Yes, some other TSA agent may cut your locks off somewhere between your departure gate and your final destination. They’re not supposed to without a really good reason, but it happens. Again, that’s your tax dollars at work. You can yell, scream and stomp your feet, but you won’t win that battle. Accept the cost of new locks as part of doing business. On the other hand, if your guns are missing, I personally would tell the airline and destination TSA agents that I was calling the FBI immediately to report an interstate theft of firearms. That ought to get you some attention.

I’ve flown many, many times with one or more firearms and have never had a serious issue. Yes, some airports act differently, but I’ve never lost a gun or had a serious run in with the G-men."

Mr. McHale also had some points about different destinations having their own rules, eg. traveling to Bend, OR, and New York. Good information if your packing a Phantom who carries.;)

10 Gun Tips You Need To Know About Flying With Guns

That may be so:

"Yes, TSA might clear your gun case upon your departure. Yes, some other TSA agent may cut your locks off somewhere between your departure gate and your final destination. They’re not supposed to without a really good reason, but it happens. Again, that’s your tax dollars at work. You can yell, scream and stomp your feet, but you won’t win that battle. Accept the cost of new locks as part of doing business. On the other hand, if your guns are missing, I personally would tell the airline and destination TSA agents that I was calling the FBI immediately to report an interstate theft of firearms. That ought to get you some attention.

I’ve flown many, many times with one or more firearms and have never had a serious issue. Yes, some airports act differently, but I’ve never lost a gun or had a serious run in with the G-men."

Mr. McHale also had some points about different destinations having their own rules, eg. traveling to Bend, OR, and New York. Good information if your packing a Phantom who carries.;)

10 Gun Tips You Need To Know About Flying With Guns

I've never heard of a bag getting screened once it clears TSA in the departure airport, but nonetheless, if TSA needs to open a firearm case, they call the owner to open it. I have thankfully never been called, and only have had them request my keys to open a case once. Do you have any links to anything that says that TSA may open a piece of baggage containing a known firearm without attempting to contact the owner to get the keys to open it?

Yeah, I go to NY frequently, not usually one of the bastardized metropolitan areas around NYC (that tell the rest of the state how to live), but usually out in the country in upstate NY. On these trips, I just have to go without having a gun on me. It's sad that that state doesn't make it easy for anyone to carry in their state. California is the same. Minnesota for whatever reason doesn't have reciprocity with FL, and I go there, but at least they are still gun friendly and I can have it in my rental car and hotel.

I have a GoProfessional Case that is similar to yours, 400ftFloridian. I have traveled via air three times (six legs in all) with my case checked and everything has been fine. No damages. I used small zip ties as locks. That way, I know immediately if TSA opened the case.

Here is Delta's policy on lithium ion batteries as an fyi:

LITHIUM BATTERIES
As you probably know, traveling with consumer electronic and medical devices containing lithium cells or batteries (e.g. watches, calculators, cameras, cell phones, laptops, camcorders, hearing aids, etc.) is allowed onboard as carry-on. Spare lithium batteries are allowed as carry-on only, and must be individually protected to prevent short circuits.
Tips to properly transport spare lithium batteries:
Pack spare batteries in carry-on baggage.
Keep spare batteries in the original retail packaging to prevent unintentional activation or short-circuiting.
If original packaging is not available, effectively insulate battery terminals by isolating spare batteries from contact with other batteries and/or metal.
Specifically, place each battery in its own protective case, plastic bag or package, or place tape across the battery's contacts to isolate terminals.
Take steps to prevent crushing, puncturing, or putting a high degree of pressure on the battery, as this can cause an internal short circuit, resulting in overheating.
Size Limits for Lithium Batteries:

Passengers are permitted to travel with lithium ion batteries that contain a maximum of 160 watt hours per battery. Any lithium ion battery containing more than 160 watt hours is prohibited from carriage on all passenger aircraft. Lithium ion batteries installed in a personal electronic device can be transported as checked or carry on baggage. Lithium ion batteries not installed in a device (spares) must be in carry-on baggage and no more than two (2) spares between 100 and 160 watt hours are allowed.

For more information on traveling with batteries please review the DOT Safe Travel Tips and the supporting file for Acceptance Guidelines.
Thank you for this post. I am flying to Arizona tomorrow with my P3P with 3 batteries. Will carry on.

I was thinking someone can start a Travel Thread and report Airline: Airport: State: Country: Airplane Size: And comment on their experience.

Sorry totally unrelated but wanted to thank IronMan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.