Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Sign up for a weekly email of the latest drone news & information

Traveling TO the US?

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations' started by Kaitlyn, Jun 12, 2016.

  1. Kaitlyn

    May 28, 2016
    Likes Received:
    Living in Toronto, I frequently take trips to the US for photo trips. Really excited about adding a drone to my options. Question is - what do I need to do/know that may be specific to the US? Do I need to register with the FAA as a non-resident? Would I need to register/give notice or something for each trip I do (which is infrequent)?

    And assuming need to register... is it an easy process?
  2. Hickeroar

    May 31, 2016
    Likes Received:
    From their registation FAQ:

    Q12. Are non-U.S. citizens visiting the United States on vacation or for sUAS competitions required to register?

    A. All sUAS are required to be registered prior to operating outdoors. Foreign nationals who want to operate in the U.S. may use the FAA's new online registration system. These non-U.S. citizens or non-permanent U.S. residents will receive an identical certificate as U.S. Citizens or permanent U.S. residents under the online registration platform. However, this certificate will function solely as a "recognition of ownership" document. This document is required by the Department of Transportation for foreign nationals to operate legally in the US.

    UAS Registration Q&A
    sUAS Registration

    Registration costs $5 (US). Have fun!
Similar Threads - Traveling Forum Date
Traveling To China then Philippines from US Standard Tuesday at 10:15 PM
An American traveling Greece w/DJI 4I Editing (Photo and Video) Sunday at 10:02 AM
Traveling to Thailand, thing to know? Phantom 4 Pro Discussion Dec 3, 2017
Traveling with my p3s Standard Jul 11, 2017
Traveling in the USA with your drone on airlines Rules and Regulations Jul 8, 2017