FAA registration- Part 47 vs. Part 48

J_L

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
New member here, just got my first drone and starting to navigate the process. I'm a commercial photographer in the US, with a LLC. Working on getting 107 soonish.

I see plenty of info here and elsewhere describing how Part 48 is so easy, or how Part 47 you can choose your own N-number... but I don't really see anyone talking about advantages of one over the other. 47 is a bit more work to obtain, so is it ever worth the effort? I'm a US citizen, so that's not a reason for 47 for me. I imagine that in the rare situation that I need a drone in another country, I would just hire a local pilot.

But does 47 carry any weight when requesting permissions around airports or other areas? Are you taken more seriously / professionally with an N-number?

If I use my LLC to register a Part 47, does that offer any liability protection? Maybe the FAA doesn't care, but maybe from civil lawsuits?

Any other reasons to go with Part 47 over 48?

Thanks!

I have never seen anyone register a UAS (less than 55 pounds) under Part 47. Why would you want to go through that extra paperwork and effort? As far as I can see, Part 47 offers nothing more than Part 48.

Part 47 offers no advantages as to where you fly or are allowed to fly. That is all based strictly on the pilot.

No one cares how your UAS is registered...only that it is legally done so.

Method of registration should make no difference in liability lawsuits. Again that comes down to you, the operator.

Reactions: BigAl07
As stated above one form of registration does not give you any more "ability" or difference in liability.

Honestly the N# is designed for Manned aircraft but we utilized it for a few years until the FAA got their ducks in a row and created the Drone Portal for us to use. Actually the N# process has some DISADVANTAGES (I'm speaking from FIRST hand experience).

a) It's a paper form that has to be filled out by hand and if you make any mistakes you have to start OVER! When I requested my forms the lady chuckled and said, "I'll go ahead and send a few extra just in case". Thank goodness because I used TWO sets of forms before I did it without any mistakes.

b) If you decide to sell/trade your aircraft you need to de-register it via another form with the FAA

c) If you need to replace an aircraft and use the same N# you have to fill out a different set of forms and get them NOTARIZED and them submit them to the FAA.

d) Some states monitor FAA databases and some sUAS operators who have N# get a bill from their state for taxes for having a Registered aircraft.

>>>> FAA Dronezone <<<< takes a few minutes, costs the same as the N#, and if you need to unregister your sUAS it also only takes a couple of moments. I fully expect at some point in the not too far future to see them restrict N# registration to non-Part 107 sUAS operations and manned aircraft.

Reactions: mossphotography
Thanks guys, that's basically what I thought! Just had to make sure I wasn't missing something. I think the few advantages to Part 47 only apply in very few cases. Will go ahead with Part 48.

Thanks guys, that's basically what I thought! Just had to make sure I wasn't missing something. I think the few advantages to Part 47 only apply in very few cases. Will go ahead with Part 48.

I'm curious as to what you've heard are advantages for applying with Part 47. We have aircraft with both types but I honestly haven't learned of any advantages to Part 47 yet. Well that's not true... I was able to get my Area Code + Initials as my N# but that's just for my own vainness and nothing more.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhantomFandom
Reactions: FLYBOYJ and BigAl07
@BigAl07 - Copied from the FAA page here:

Aircraft Registry – Aircraft Registration: Unmanned Aircraft (UA)

Part 47...
Is required
  • for Unmanned Aircraft that weigh 55 pounds or more,
  • for sUA owned by a trustee under a trust agreement,
  • when the sUA owner uses a voting trust to meet U.S. Citizenship requirements,
Is available
  • for sUA that need N-number registration to operate outside the U.S.,
  • when public recording is desired for a sUA's loan, lease, or ownership documents,
So... something in there about citizenship requirements? Dunno, maybe doesn't matter with 48 either. N-number- maybe a good thing to have if you want to take the machine to another country? Or maybe the country you're going to doesn't recognize N-# on a drone? Dunno. Anyway, I skipped this and went with 48 as suggested. Seems like it's the latest standard.

@BigAl07 - Copied from the FAA page here:

Aircraft Registry – Aircraft Registration: Unmanned Aircraft (UA)

Part 47...
Is required
  • for Unmanned Aircraft that weigh 55 pounds or more,
  • for sUA owned by a trustee under a trust agreement,
  • when the sUA owner uses a voting trust to meet U.S. Citizenship requirements,
Is available
  • for sUA that need N-number registration to operate outside the U.S.,
  • when public recording is desired for a sUA's loan, lease, or ownership documents,
So... something in there about citizenship requirements? Dunno, maybe doesn't matter with 48 either. N-number- maybe a good thing to have if you want to take the machine to another country? Or maybe the country you're going to doesn't recognize N-# on a drone? Dunno. Anyway, I skipped this and went with 48 as suggested. Seems like it's the latest standard.

Unless something has recently changed (and that's always possible) no other country recognizes US/FAA Registration of Part 107.

Right, but with 47 aren't you registering the aircraft itself, nothing related to your 107 status? Regardless, I'm sure there are different and complicated procedures everywhere. Something I'll save investigating until I've got a plane ticket in hand.

Reactions: BigAl07
Right, but with 47 aren't you registering the aircraft itself, nothing related to your 107 status?

Yes you are correct....14 CFR Part 47 is very much registering the aircraft itself (serial #).

My comment about Registration # and Part 107..... I just meant that other countries don't acknoledge/accept US aUAS registration #'s or FAA Part 107 privileges.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj