Tracking device

rickasaurus said:
I just ordered an RV-16. When you order, you need to tell them which country you will be operating in, and they send you the appropriate one for that country. I don't have mine yet, but I will soon know if it works in Australia!
:D
I have one and the main limitation is cellular service. I've been in many places where I can't connect either my phone or the tracker. Make sure you have coverage for your flying sites before you register your SIM card.
Between Sprint and AT&T, Western US coverage sucks.
Find my Phantom Vision works better.
Not sure what services are available in your area, just a heads up!

Fplvert said:
rickasaurus said:
I just ordered an RV-16. When you order, you need to tell them which country you will be operating in, and they send you the appropriate one for that country. I don't have mine yet, but I will soon know if it works in Australia!
:D
I have one and the main limitation is cellular service. I've been in many places where I can't connect either my phone or the tracker. Make sure you have coverage for your flying sites before you register your SIM card.
Between Sprint and AT&T, Western US coverage sucks.
Find my Phantom Vision works better.
Not sure what services are available in your area, just a heads up!
Yes, I agree that is an issue. I fly in Australia, sometimes in remote areas with poor or no cellular reception. I guess I just have to accept it may not work in those locations.

rickasaurus said:
Good to know -thanks for that info. That would make it a no-go for me. I have a Spot Trace (I removed the heavy case and only used the insides with my Phantom 2) which I tested in Netherlands, Canada, and the US (worked fine) and Australia (didn't work). It's going back to REI (they have a 1-year return policy).

I need something that will work in many countries. I will probably go with the Drone-mods one (http://drone-mods.com/Drone-Mods-UAV-Lo ... -DM006.htm) since I only need to get a SIM card for each country of use.

DattaGroover said:
rickasaurus said:
Good to know -thanks for that info. That would make it a no-go for me. I have a Spot Trace (I removed the heavy case and only used the insides with my Phantom 2) which I tested in Netherlands, Canada, and the US (worked fine) and Australia (didn't work). It's going back to REI (they have a 1-year return policy).

I need something that will work in many countries. I will probably go with the Drone-mods one (http://drone-mods.com/Drone-Mods-UAV-Lo ... -DM006.htm) since I only need to get a SIM card for each country of use.
I ordered the international version from Drone-Mods. I will check in once I've received and tested it.

One problem I have with these is finding a 2G PAYG Sim in the UK. Anyone know where you can get em'?

I'm considering eventually purchasing a Marc Polo tracker because I prefer not to pay a monthly service fee that is ongoing, especially since I don't fly a lot and a monthly fee will often be wasted. The Marco Polo tracker uses a radio signal to find the downed quad which doesn't rely on GPS or a cell signal. It's a bit pricey at around $219, but a less expensive GPS tracker will eventually reach that price with its continuous monthly connection service charge. It doesn't employ a map, but seems extremely accurate and leads you right to the crash site. Just something I'm considering buying when the warm weather returns and I'm out flying more often. Does anyone here currently use a Marco Polo tracker on their P2V+?

http://eurekaproducts.com/rc-model-tracking-and-recovery/

MapMaker53 said:
I'm considering eventually purchasing a Marc Polo tracker because I prefer not to pay a monthly service fee that is ongoing, especially since I don't fly a lot and a monthly fee will often be wasted. The Marco Polo tracker uses a radio signal to find the downed quad which doesn't rely on GPS or a cell signal. It's a bit pricey at around $219, but a less expensive GPS tracker will eventually reach that price with its continuous monthly connection service charge. It doesn't employ a map, but seems extremely accurate and leads you right to the crash site. Just something I'm considering buying when the warm weather returns and I'm out flying more often. Does anyone here currently use a Marco Polo tracker on their P2V+?

Interesting- this might be a great choice for non-cell areas. I'm concerned about the 2 mile range. That usually means 2 miles line of sight. SO, if it is in very rough terrain, it would probably be much less. It's possible that might be out of fly-away range.

Just discussing this- it's not out of the question, at least for me. I just bought a Drone-mods.com one for my son, but I might consider one these. I like the idea of not having to get a sim card for each country.

Let us know what you decide, and if you do get it, keep us updated.

DattaGroover said:
MapMaker53 said:

Interesting- this might be a great choice for non-cell areas. I'm concerned about the 2 mile range. That usually means 2 miles line of sight. SO, if it is in very rough terrain, it would probably be much less. It's possible that might be out of fly-away range.
In fact, here's their published data:
System Range
Line of sight: up to 2 miles typical
Open terrain, rolling hills with few obstructions: up to .5 – 1 mile
Dense suburban areas: 2,000 ft. typical

I would say range could be an issue with this.

Note that this is NOT a GPS (or cellular) unit. This is a simple radio tracker.

Considering the rolling terrain and dense suburban range limitations, I think my approach would be to reach the last known location using the Find My Phantom and then use the Marco Polo to further zero in on it.

MapMaker53 said:
Considering the rolling terrain and dense suburban range limitations, I think my approach would be to reach the last known location using the Find My Phantom and then use the Marco Polo to further zero in on it.
The "Find my Phantom" is only with the Vision +, is that correct?

Another alternative is you could at least search by car, motorcycle, or bike until you came into range.

DattaGroover said:
The "Find my Phantom" is only with the Vision +, is that correct? Another alternative is you could at least search by car, motorcycle, or bike until you came into range.

I'm not familiar with non-P2V+ Phantoms. I only have the plus, and my app has Find My Phantom - which is not completely reliable if you lose wifi during the flyaway, but at least it gives you the last known GPS point when it cut out and can generally point you in the right direction. Assuming a straight-line flyaway, yeah.. I would hop into my car and travel outward in that direction until I picked up the signal.

My conclusion (that I need to protect my investment):
1) really good GPS tracker (I got from Drone-mods.com)
and
2) a good FM Tracker (I got from eurekaproducts.com)

Sometimes I'm way outside cell or GPS range, and the FM is the only thing that would work. Hopefully the P2 Version 3 is more stable, and resistant to getting a wild hairs up its fuselage, so it won't even be necessary.

I have the Marco Polo. It seems to do what they advertise. I did get a bad locator unit which I did not know that was the problem until I called the guy and he sent me a new one. I thought the transmitter was the problem but it wasn't. Very good customer service. I have it zip tied to the carbon fiber camera guard. I had my daughter hide it around the house and was able to find it very quickly

lindjiguy said:
Please let us know how it goes trying to mount the Rf-v16. I'm curious how you will mount that. Judging by this guy who did it here (link below), he had to resort to using a 3d printer to get a proper mount.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp09n8tVQU4[/youtube]

Looks like this guy had a wobble of death without properly fighting it. He should've tried to go forward instead of full throttling upwards.

Lucan said:
I have the Marco Polo. It seems to do what they advertise. I did get a bad locator unit which I did not know that was the problem until I called the guy and he sent me a new one. I thought the transmitter was the problem but it wasn't. Very good customer service. I have it zip tied to the carbon fiber camera guard. I had my daughter hide it around the house and was able to find it very quickly
That's the one I have, too. And I use it together with a GPS tracker. Their customer service is excellent. I think it's the same guy who designs them.

Thanks for the kind words about Marco Polo support guys. It's actually not that tough, even with thousands of Marco Polo's in the field we have very few problems, save the occasional screw-up!

Here is a video that I just love watching. The production quality is not exactly great but it is definitely spontaneous and the guy is so happy when he finds his lost quad in the grass it makes the long hours worth it!

[vimeo]118051384[/vimeo]

tlc452 said:
Thanks for the kind words about Marco Polo support guys. It's actually not that tough, even with thousands of Marco Polo's in the field we have very few problems, save the occasional screw-up!

Here is a video that I just love watching. The production quality is not exactly great but it is definitely spontaneous and the guy is so happy when he finds his lost quad in the grass it makes the long hours worth it!

[vimeo]118051384[/vimeo]
Nice!

. . . and thanks for caring about your customers.

Researching trackers so I figured I'd just bump this thread.

Do any of these trackers that use cell service work with Verizon?
I read that they did not but it's not apparent reading through the descriptions of the devices.

I have an HTC Windows phone using Verizon. Narrowing down the options would be a good thing.

What about Flytrex?

Marlin009 said:

I read that they did not but it's not apparent reading through the descriptions of the devices.

I have an HTC Windows phone using Verizon. Narrowing down the options would be a good thing.

What about Flytrex?

I use the one from Drone-mods.com, and it works great with my Verizon service. I got the international version, so I can get sim cards in any of the countries I travel in.

You cannot get your sim card for this tracker from Verizon (or sprint) since it is GSM - it must be from ATT. Could be T-Mobile, but they have poor coverage. I got my sim for under $50 and then it's $25 for 3 months- though there may be other plans out there. Helpful hint- get your sim card at an ATT store not online. That way you can make sure it's good right then and there.

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Edge, but any phone that shows maps will work fine. It does not have to be GSM - only the tracker.

Hope that's helpful.

DattaGroover said:
Marlin009 said:

What about Flytrex?

I use the one from Drone-mods.com, and it works great with my Verizon service. I got the international version, so I can get sim cards in any of the countries I travel in.

You cannot get your sim card for this tracker from Verizon (or sprint) since it is GSM - it must be from ATT. Could be T-Mobile, but they have poor coverage. I got my sim for under $50 and then it's $25 for 3 months- though there may be other plans out there. Helpful hint- get your sim card at an ATT store not online. That way you can make sure it's good right then and there.

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Edge, but any phone that shows maps will work fine. It does not have to be GSM - only the tracker.

Hope that's helpful.

. . . and jut so you know- I also use the Marco Polo mentioned below as I am sometimes out of cell range. It is an FM signal tracker - but costs twice the price of the one form Drone-Mods.com.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic