Total newbie from Sweden

Reaction score
Hello there!

Im new here and just wanted to introduce my self and ask some questions.

Im from Sweden (haven't found a good native forum), I ride a motorcycle and know that UK and US forums are usually fantastic places with helpful people.

I havent flown anything RC in my whole life, I tried "real" paramotor and paraglideing, but it was just too expensive for me plus I dont have a car so going to places to fly from was a bit problematic.

I found this hobby on the youtube and started to research what quads were the best, pretty soon it became obvious that DJI was the thing for me. I had a look at the P2, and the P2V but I think they are a bit too pricey for someone who really a total beginner. Then I found Jim Bowers on the youtube and saw all the cool stuff he's done with his Phantom 1. That guy is pretty cool, in his own way, and after watching his videos I was pretty much sold :D

So I did some more research and finally ordered a P1, its the 1.2.1 version. I know its not the best, apparently the 1.1.1 is the way to go, but I got it brand new for a crazy-good price. And as said Im a beginner and I can always upgrade to something else later.

The copter arrived yesterday and with the help of youtube I got it assembled, its no hustle, just a couple of screws. But the DJI manuals really don't help much. I ended up with 4 screws left (not sure that its a good thing :lol: ) ant a piece of white string, which I for the life of me cant figure out what to do with. Pretty sure its not for flushing my teeth.

Anyways, its now assembled and I really want to fly the bugger, BUT Im pretty sure that I have to plug it in to the computer and do what? Can anybody please explain what I need to do before the first flight? Compass calibration is not a problem, there are plenty of videos showing how thats done. But the hooking up to the computer thingy is a bit confusing.

Whilst waiting for replies Ill be reading the manual, watching all the youtube clips I can get a hold on and trie to learn what the basic colour combinations of the LED mean.

Cheers and its nice to be a part of this forum.

Welcome to the forum....im from the US (Indiana to be more exact). Now on to helping you with your questions

You will want to install the NAZA software on your computer (via the DJI website). Then you will connect your Phantom to your computer with the USB cable. Then turn on your controller (more commonly called a Tx or transmitter). Then turn on your Phantom. The computer will see the Tx through your Phantom. Also it is a good idea to have the props off the phantom while doing this just so you can test and check things with no danger. The NAZA software gets pretty deep but there are videos on Youtube that can show you what you need to do. Also there are other guys on here that know more about it than I do that can walk you through any questions you might have.

If I can give you one piece of advice i would like to say..."take it slow and easy". You may think you have something mastered or figured out. But take it slow and REALLY learn so that if a situation arises then your natural reactions are the right ones and not ones based out of fear and uncertainty .

Once again welcome...and happy flying

hi and welcome. i am also a bit new to rc stuff and i am having a blast. in answer to your question you need to download the naza software and the drivers then go in and set up the "ioc" stuff so you can turn on failsafe etc. the version phantom you got is very advanced and can do pretty much the same things as the others but you need to add camera and gimbal.

those are extra screws and the string is for prop guards. typing on my tablet is hard.so i might come back with more if i get keyboard. one of my first posts i explained how to set up an fc40. (i own an rv park in northern california and we just had some swedish visitors a couple days ago.)

Thx guys, I knew i could get some helpfull info here.

@Chuddly:If I can give you one piece of advice i would like to say..."take it slow and easy". You may think you have something mastered or figured out. But take it slow and REALLY learn so that if a situation arises then your natural reactions are the right ones and not ones based out of fear and uncertainty .

Yupp, thats what Im thinking and thats why I want to learn and set up everything correctly before first flight :D

@Wedeliver: The version phantom you got is very advanced and can do pretty much the same things as the others but you need to add camera and gimbal.

Camera and other cool stuff will come later, I think that I will learn to fly the P1 without any extras on first. I hope that the swedes you met behaved well, or else Ill have words with them :lol:

So if I get this right, before I can fly my P1, I need to:
1) Download the Naza software and drivers

2) Enable the IOC

3) Calibrate the TX? (Think I read about that somewere) Is that standard procedure to do with a new bird?

4) Calibrate the compass

5) Do I need to upgrade any firmware?

Is there something I'm missing, dear forum, please enlighten me!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl