Top Altitude record is WAY off

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 with screen.
I am a new pilot with about 70 flights (Lvl 7) .
Under my Experience Points (6,920) the Top Distance shows 15,803ft which seems right on the date listed, BUT the Top Altitude says well over 400ft elevation on the same date. I have played back the flight log on that date and my max flight elevation was 384ft.
I can't find where this has happened to anyone else in the forum. I am an old guy and have been carefully flying this drone and I know every time I came close to 400ft. Not sure why my "Top Elevation" is well over 400ft when the logs don't show that and I have never flown that high.
What would cause the Top elevation to show different than the flight logs?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am an old guy and have been carefully flying this drone and I know every time I came close to 400ft. Not sure why my "Top Elevation" is well over 400ft when the logs don't show that and I have never flown that high.
It's because the Top Altitude is the highest altitude above sea level, not the highest level above your launch point.
If you launch from a mountain, you get a high Top Altitude.
If you always fly from near sea level, your Top Altitude will be much lower.

Reactions: Jim Canada
It's because the Top Altitude is the highest altitude above sea level, not the highest level above your launch point.
If you launch from a mountain, you get a high Top Altitude.
If you always fly from near sea level, your Top Altitude will be much lower.
So that number is MSL not AGL?

I have seen the same astonishing numbers on my Flight Record but has dismissed them as false. So You mean that there is an instrument in my drones that measure and note the altitude MSL. Is it the Z - value in the GPS? But I can not see the altitude (MSL) when flying, only the height AGL (at start point)

For flying purposes the elevation above see level is not relevant.

I have a Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 with screen.
I am a new pilot with about 70 flights (Lvl 7) .
Under my Experience Points (6,920) the Top Distance shows 15,803ft which seems right on the date listed, BUT the Top Altitude says well over 400ft elevation on the same date. I have played back the flight log on that date and my max flight elevation was 384ft.
I can't find where this has happened to anyone else in the forum. I am an old guy and have been carefully flying this drone and I know every time I came close to 400ft. Not sure why my "Top Elevation" is well over 400ft when the logs don't show that and I have never flown that high.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It will get you a notice that you have reached max elevation if you have set the limit to 120 meters.

MSL doesn't make sense to me as it looks at the elevation from the take off point being 0 which is AGL. Why would the top elevation portion switch to MSL?
It might make no sense to you, but that's how DJI set it up.
It's easy to check.
Just check the date of the flight that Top Altitude was set and check the altitude of the spot you flew from.
My Top Altitude was showing 496 metres until I went and flew here:
DJI_0038-59a-X2.jpg

Now it reads as 1792 metres, which is approximately the height of the mountain I was flying from on 26/9/2019.
i-Smv87MM-M.jpg

I have seen the same astonishing numbers on my Flight Record but has dismissed them as false. So You mean that there is an instrument in my drones that measure and note the altitude MSL. Is it the Z - value in the GPS? But I can not see the altitude (MSL) when flying, only the height AGL (at start point)
The height comes from GPS.
Your drone does not use it for flight purposes, but it's still recorded in flight data and can be found in the metadata of each image you record.
Note that the Top Altitude is not the highest altitude that your drone has flown at, but is the highest altitude at which you have launched.
Just another DJI oddity.

i-35TGrS4.jpg

almost all flights (unless its around home & I know the number) I take a still photo before taking off. Then when you read the metadata later -I read Altitude in Lightroom- you have a baseline - MSL at takeoff.
For example around Chicago even at the the edge of Lake Michigan anywhere from 545-560' MSL - but when you are actively flying your Go app shows 0' on the ground.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav