Top 10 Gadgets?

Which Kestrel model do you have may I ask?
This is the Kestrel I use.
Kestrel 4500NV Electronic Hand Held Weather Meter Horus Ballistics

I, of course, did not buy it for use with the drone. For drone needs, that is WAY overkill but for putting 5 holes in a 3" circle from 1/2 mile away, very handy.

I also have this:
Kestrel Rotating Vane Mount Electronic Hand Held Wind Weather Meters
Its a PITA to level and get accurate. It, however does allow you to mount your Kestrel and have it bluetooth to your device so its hands free.
Honestly, I rarely use it anymore.

For your flying needs, the simple and fairly inexpensive 1000 will do:
Kestrel 1000 Electronic Hand Held Wind Meter

Most of the time you really don't need a meter. At least I don't. I have sailed for 4 decades. I am an avid long range shooter. I can get within a half MPH of what the Kestrel says simply by feeling it on my face. Obviously not everyone can do that.

Reactions: Flipper
Carl ziess cinemiser glasses best. worst has got to be polar pro landing gear, totally useless and a waste of 30.00 pounds!!

How can the P3 get off the ground carrying 30 pounds of gear????? O_O j/k!

Ok... I thought about it a little and here is my input.... I think these are my favorite Gadgets without a doubt...

1) the HDMI module... Buy HDMI Output Module (Phantom 3 Pro/Adv/Phantom 4) | DJI Store
2) the Head Play... the HeadPlay HD FPV Headset w/ 40ch 5.8GHz Raceband Receiver

the reason I think these are the best I have bought for the P3Pro is that I can put the head play on someone and fly and let them experience the flight while I'm flying the P3Pro... I love the grin on everyones face when I take them for a ride.... just too too cool... :)

Ok... I thought about it a little and here is my input.... I think these are my favorite Gadgets without a doubt...

1) the HDMI module... Buy HDMI Output Module (Phantom 3 Pro/Adv/Phantom 4) | DJI Store
2) the Head Play... the HeadPlay HD FPV Headset w/ 40ch 5.8GHz Raceband Receiver

the reason I think these are the best I have bought for the P3Pro is that I can put the head play on someone and fly and let them experience the flight while I'm flying the P3Pro... I love the grin on everyones face when I take them for a ride.... just too too cool... :)

Thats a brilliant idea! Not that combo but the idea. I haven't looked seriously at the goggle thing since its verboten for flying. But as a passenger, thats another thing. I bet the granddaughters would love that. Something to think about getting this summer maybe.

Used to use a anemometer... now I just used an app called ikitesurf... shows the wind speed/direction and also has forecast table to show me what the winds will be doing the next flight day... very nice app... there are others that also show winds aloft...

I thought about the anemometer thing too but from my experience flying (skydiving, paragliding, kites and now drone) I've noticed that wind is never the same at 6ft as it is at 100ft, for instance. Also, I would rather trust the movement of the leaves at the top of the trees.
I'm also trusting a weather app (windguru, in this case) and my observational skills :)

Reactions: Wolfiesden
Yep, but the things you are likely to hit (trees) are down where your anemometer is reading the wind. Winds aloft are a different ballgame.

I have more than once seen winds aloft where I was standing on the ground and the clouds where moving over me and if I looked up further in the sky the clouds where going the opposite direction... I fly paramotor and paraglider too... and know how to read the winds... I don't take chances on wind reading...
you want to feel in a bind... take a paramotor up with southern winds around 10mph.. get up to around 3k feet and the wind is pushing you out into the gulf of mexico.... not a good feeling... I like to use one app the most... ikitesurf works for most flying... iKitesurf

Thats a brilliant idea! Not that combo but the idea. I haven't looked seriously at the goggle thing since its verboten for flying. But as a passenger, thats another thing. I bet the granddaughters would love that. Something to think about getting this summer maybe.
your granddaughters are going to love it... you can go way high with the camera pointing down and spot deer and wild pigs... they don't even know your up there watching them.... you might even be able to fly over a pod of dolphins if your close by them too... thats what my wife likes to see...

Which Kestrel model do you have may I ask?

I use the 4500NV Applied Ballistics version. I too am using it for other needs. But as others have said, almost NOT necessary. I too use other applications and tools in the tool chest to help. HOWEVER, it is nice to be able to get an idea of what 30mph vs 2 mph looks like. Eventually, you do learn the wind and are able to judge things a little better.

I am already looking at the 5xxx series of the kestrels too. Mine has a bluetooth connectivity issue and am trying to work something out.

Reactions: cactusfrog

I've got a Headplay on backorder. The wait is killing me. I can't wait to experience it.

I noticed most of you turkeys forgetting a very important piece of equipment. Anemometer - Wind meter. I keep a Kestrel handy. Wind is one of the biggest factors and we cannot always rely on our birds for accurate readings.
I also have a wind meter in my case. As any pilot or skydiver will confirm, wind gusts are one of the biggest threats to safe landings and this is equally true for quads. A good wind meter will be able to register the frequency and strength of gusts. I use the Vaavud, which connects to my iPad and employs an app which provides very useful information, not only for my own location but anywhere I need to check.

vaavud.jpg

Might be nice to have an airspeed indicator on the bird. Then could also check wind speed aloft by holding ground speed zero position. (I'm probably missing something obvious like prop turbulence.)

Might be nice to have an airspeed indicator on the bird. Then could also check wind speed aloft by holding ground speed zero position. (I'm probably missing something obvious like prop turbulence.)
ATTI mode = the poor man's airspeed indicator.

Reactions: Excavator99
I noticed most of you turkeys forgetting a very important piece of equipment. Anemometer - Wind meter. I keep a Kestrel handy. Wind is one of the biggest factors and we cannot always rely on our birds for accurate readings.

Interesting.... Where is the wind speed shown on the GO App?

How do you use ATTI mode to determine wind speed?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
You fly up to the altitude at which you intend to do your filming run, switch to ATTI mode, and let go of the sticks. Your quad will drift in the direction and speed of the prevailing wind at that altitude. Very useful information for long distance runs as well.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31