Took a 5 mile hike up a mountain with the wife to fly. It was windy as [Language Removed]

The hike was suppose to be about half the distance but turned out to be five miles. In all we climbed 1000 ft of elevation and ended up at a very windy overlook where I took off. But what an adrenaline rush!
Whewwwwwwww glad you never seen any mountain lions.....i'm sure they seen you.....I really enjoyed the video.Thanks for the sharing of it !

I will say you've got some b*lls for flying in such high winds. My phantom 3S can handle 35mph with no problems, but I try to avoid those conditions. Good job!

I will say you've got some b*lls for flying in such high winds. My phantom 3S can handle 35mph with no problems, but I try to avoid those conditions. Good job!
Thanks. This drone has some stress fractures so I figured this will be my chance taking drone. Also I hiked a long way, so if it didn't blow over on the take-off pad, I was going to fly it.

I just got back on Saturday from a 5 day trip to southern Utah and had several flights with comparable wind. On one flight I was coming back with less than 35% battery into a headwind and my max speed was down to about 10mph. I changed course and descended a bit and was able to increase my speed to about 15mph and make it back at 25% battery.

A couple years ago, while flying my Inspire 1 Pro near the top of the Moki Dugway near Mexican Hat in southeast Utah, I climb up a cliff about 125 feet above the parking area and near the top of the cliff. The drone was hard to control because of the strong winds and as I tried to descend it wouldn't go down until I used full stick down -- the updraft as the wind ascended the cliff was so strong it was almost supporting the weight without the lift of the props. The trick was to back away from the cliff face where the winds are strongest and I was able to get her down at that point. Here's where I'm talking about...

Brian

That looks like such a cool place to fly. When it is really windy, I try to fly into the wind first so I have the wind to bring me back. That usually works out perfectly because I fly over the ocean, and the battle is going out and usually not coming in.

That looks like such a cool place to fly. When it is really windy, I try to fly into the wind first so I have the wind to bring me back. That usually works out perfectly because I fly over the ocean, and the battle is going out and usually not coming in.

Yes, flying into the wind first is a good idea -- sometimes you get wrapped up in the visuals that you overlook the headwind issue. It's interesting how you develop a sense as to how long the battery will last and how much stuff you can do and be back, as I try to be, right at about 30%.

The problem I had trying to descend was with the Inspire 1 Pro and I haven't flown it in over a year -- since I got the P4P, but I just updated the firmware on the Inspire, recalibrated the IMU, and plan to head out in the next couple days to test it out. The P4P has a better image processor and will do 100Mbps versus the max 60Mbps of the Inspire so the P4P tends to produce better video. OTH, the Inspire 1 Pro is a lot faster and you really never have a problem with having props in the shot unless you try to.

Brian

Yes, flying into the wind first is a good idea -- sometimes you get wrapped up in the visuals that you overlook the headwind issue. It's interesting how you develop a sense as to how long the battery will last and how much stuff you can do and be back, as I try to be, right at about 30%.

The problem I had trying to descend was with the Inspire 1 Pro and I haven't flown it in over a year -- since I got the P4P, but I just updated the firmware on the Inspire, recalibrated the IMU, and plan to head out in the next couple days to test it out. The P4P has a better image processor and will do 100Mbps versus the max 60Mbps of the Inspire so the P4P tends to produce better video. OTH, the Inspire 1 Pro is a lot faster and you really never have a problem with having props in the shot unless you try to.

Brian
That sounds like one serious updraft. On warm days I experience an updraft but only one flying a very light Sima x5c which probably only weighs a couple of ounces. Birds must love that area.

The hike was suppose to be about half the distance but turned out to be five miles. In all we climbed 1000 ft of elevation and ended up at a very windy overlook where I took off. But what an adrenaline rush!
Hi, loved the vid... keep up the good work. Looks awesome in that neighborhood!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4