To upgrade or not.

Reaction score
I currently have a Phantom 2 Vision Plus v 3.0. I am toying with the idea of upgrading to a Phantom 3. As far as I can tell, the P3A has the identical video capabilities of my P2+V3.0 with the exception of a narrower FOV. Also as far as I can tell the P3P only has 4K and a higher capacity charger than the P3A. I am not a professional videographer and edit on a 7 year old Macbook Pro and would likely have to downgrade the video to 1080 for regular uses.
I would appreciate some guidance as to whether it is worthwhile to upgrade and if so, whether to upgrade to P3A or P3P.
Also can anyone tell me whether DJI upgraded the motor to ESC wiring to multi stranded wire on the P3 series or are they still using the "solid core" wiring.

I to have the same dilemma and have after burning two batteries today decided to wait till the P3 is fully supported including batteries off Amazon, props, cases etc.... What 3 months?

Got a good thing going now - no reason to start the DJI stability dance again... And yes, I changed the motor wires and GPS plug in my V3 for peace of mind..... My personal view it was a crap, cost cutting design with to much risk in my eye's. If the P3 has the same wires, that will be the first change I make warranty or not.....

Reactions: Jeff48920
As far as I can tell, the P3A has the identical video capabilities of my P2+V3.0 with the exception of a narrower FOV.
The P3 is a huge upgrade from the P2 in all departments.
Much more than you imagine.
Read this and watch his video to get some idea.
http://blog.jeffcable.com/2015/04/dji-just-announced-phantom-3-after.html
It also does great night time video which the P2 V+ couldn't.
There's no need for most users to go for the Pro, but they'll sell like hotcakes because people love to think more-is-better.

Re your concerns about ESCs etc, expert opinion seems to be that this has been handled well with their new ESCs and higher voltage - lower current.

I currently have a Phantom 2 Vision Plus v 3.0. I am toying with the idea of upgrading to a Phantom 3. As far as I can tell, the P3A has the identical video capabilities of my P2+V3.0 with the exception of a narrower FOV. Also as far as I can tell the P3P only has 4K and a higher capacity charger than the P3A. I am not a professional videographer and edit on a 7 year old Macbook Pro and would likely have to downgrade the video to 1080 for regular uses.
I would appreciate some guidance as to whether it is worthwhile to upgrade and if so, whether to upgrade to P3A or P3P.
Also can anyone tell me whether DJI upgraded the motor to ESC wiring to multi stranded wire on the P3 series or are they still using the "solid core" wiring.
My 2 cents is bite the bullet and jump in:D If you have the cash go pro if not advanced. In reality the 4K is a few years out, but I wanted the ability to use but don't know that Ill much use it for now . The #1 thing I love is HD view,
nice to see what it sees, when it sees it and for longer distance. I still have both but pv2 will sit in case 99% time
p3 max.PNG

With the P3A or P3P, your getting a much better CMOS sensor.. 1080P on the 3 is far better than 1080P on the 2V+.

I'll put my money on the fact that DJI will be introducing a new Inspire camera that will compete with the rumors of the GP H5.

Keep your P2 and wait for the inspire with upgraded camera.. :p

Sorry, did I say that out loud?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff48920

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic