Time for drone to warm up

Ok, so if you are a somewhat practiced pilot, in theory, you should be ok, right? I mean, you don't *need* GPS to fly.

To OP: Sorry for hijacking your thread for a bit.

If you are good pilot, should be okay but still need to be careful. Most indoor can't really catch on much satellites, GPS will be terrible. You will NEED GPS since its controlling the drone positioning and try to be flying static as much as it can. Compared how the P3P & P4P perform, P4P are more static than P3P but Mavic Pro will be the winner in term of hovering in position. DO NOT TURN OFF GPS when flying in small spaced area(Attitude Mode). It will hover front, back, left and right inconsistently because of the propeller will propel air in 4 different direction. as the air hit objects such as table, wall, chair, etc, it will change direction without you controlling it.

All very interesting. My initial 4 flights were inside, in my finished basement. With prop-guards on, I had a couple of wall bumps, but otherwise, I thought it was great to learn the control sensitivity, and to understand the beginnings of straight line flight with the bird coming at you. Am now outdoors enjoying the balmy 10-degree weather, flying in a school parking lot, my neighborhood, in snow - Love this thing so far!

Reactions: adrianthomas93
Last edited:
With *No Props ON *.....just be careful to "NOT HOLD IT WIDE OPEN" on the motors for a long time..them eight bearing are not meant for that wide open revving with out props on !...my answer was posted here on a question somebody had By a very well known member that knows his stuff !
Glad I saw this thread. I need valuable, accurate info. With cold weather, I want to continue flying & practicing ‘fine-tuning tight, fluid movements’ (yes, to get better at camera movements like sliders & jibs). QUESTION: Why can’t I fly the ‘simulator’ with No Motors? it’s a shame to cause Wear & Tear on the motors during ‘sim flying/practice’.
it seems, the software would analysize the motor response, calculate & sim would visually &, via the meters, indicate the readouts - all without motors running & shortening motor life. Thank All “POSTers” for Invaluable Help & Generosity with your experience.

Those motors are incredibly durable. I had a crash last year at the top of a 500 foot high hill which took me over 15 minutes to climb (645 stair steps) the P3 was upside down and still on. As soon as I lifted it the probs ran up to full speed. I had to pull the battery to kill it. Motors were warm only and it's been fine ever since. Gimbal was ripped off but motors fine :)

I fly lots of DJI drones and I still would never attempt to fly a Phantom inside of a small building like a house.
I've flown inside my church many times with my P3 Pro, it just takes practice. My P4 Pro is much easier in tripod mode. Focus, concentration, and practice...........

If you’re going to run that simulator for a decent amount of time watch out for the gimbal overheating. I would suggest running a fan on it.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Would you please explain why you can't run the motors full out without the props? I've tested RC aircraft engines many times for long periods without props with no ill effects, ever.

Bud
Instead of with the 4 props on.......Your allowing them tiny 8 little ball bearings to go to very excessive HIGH SPEEDS "with No props on" and your eventually going to shorten their life span and them bearing will fail and when that happens and you will get excessive vibrations that will cause the areas around ALL 4 motor to crack and they will fall OFF and your drone will fall from the skys above.need more be saId ?.....so far your lucky !

Those motors are incredibly durable. I had a crash last year at the top of a 500 foot high hill which took me over 15 minutes to climb (645 stair steps) the P3 was upside down and still on. As soon as I lifted it the probs ran up to full speed. I had to pull the battery to kill it. Motors were warm only and it's been fine ever since. Gimbal was ripped off but motors fine :)
WOW......not knowing the props would take off.....Its a good thing you did Not get sliced up by them powerful 4 spinning props !

I fly my quad in extremely cold weather but I don't go outside to do it. I start out by putting the quad outside then stepping inside the house and standing at a storm door or window to fly it from. I am able to pick up on the satellites but not quite as many as I can while I am outside.

I have read that the ambient temperature of the IMU at the time it is calibrated will be the temperature it must warm up to before being ready to fly which is one reason you are supposed to cool the phantom down before an IMU calibration.
Anyone want to validate this?

I have read that the ambient temperature of the IMU at the time it is calibrated will be the temperature it must warm up to before being ready to fly which is one reason you are supposed to cool the phantom down before an IMU calibration.
Anyone want to validate this?

This is as posted by various ...

Some advocate taking P3 outside in cold weather ... keep battery in pocket .. start all up except leave battery out till last and then plug in ... go to calibrate before heat of battery causes IMU to warm up too much !

Did I do it ? No. Do I fly in real cold weather ? Yes. Do I wait for aircraft warming up ? Yes .. is it long ? Not unduly ..

Nigel

Just out of interest went outside in -5C garden and did IMU calibration then took this video as test flight ..

Nigel

Tried flying mine indoors for first time in a large fabricating shop The is pretty wide open... I flew it to the end of shop and was bringing it back when the throttle stopped responding and just kept on coming at me for a full head on crash with the wall.

I've e flying rc since 1975, and I wouldn't attempt flying indoors at home. As most have stated above, and at 2.5 lbs of mass, and these motors have tremendous torque. a slight misstep and disaster. Using the simulator, make sure the camera assembly is cooled by a fan of some sorts as they have a tendency to overheat.

Don't fly indoors ?? This is my P3S indoors ....

But I do have a number of mini rotor stuff for indoors that basically teaches you manual flying ...

But example of what can happen :

I have 450 Helicopters as well and in same room ... I was going through some Tx setups on one of them. I stupidly made mistake of swapping a control in programming and it took off like a raving banshee ... hit the tele ... bounced of the ceiling ... whizzed past my left ear literally leaving scorch marks and then tangled itself in Wifes Xmas tree she'd only decorated that day !
All the dogs and cats ran of to hide when she saw what had happened ...

I know ... even after all these years - I still made mistake of not removing the rotors !!

Guess what is now banned in our house ?

Nigel

Reactions: Rudder Bug

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl