Time for drone to warm up

Reaction score
How long should it take for the drone to “warm up” before it’s ready to fly. It seems like mine takes 5-10 minutes before drone blinks green, is connected, camera initiates, before I am able to start the engines.

I thought it would only take less than a minute before drone is ready.

Are you flying in beginner mode? If so, it won't show it's ready to fly until the Phantom has a good GPS connection.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Yes beginner mode and I am indoors...maybe that is why...difficult to get satellite connection for GPS.

Too dang cold to try out side, 9 degrees, to try and get better signals.

Thanks

That makes sense then. You shouldn't run into that problem when starting your Phantom up outside.

BTW, it's pretty risky flying a Phantom indoors (unless you're talking about a gymnasium). Be careful.

Not flying inside...just trying to learn how to initialize...no props on. Found the simulator on DGI App and "flying" inside to learn controls. One day when it warms up I will try outside.

Ah. Well, turn off beginner mode and you should be good to go.

BTW, it's pretty risky flying a Phantom indoors (unless you're talking about a gymnasium). Be careful.
Besides the amount of potential hazards, what makes indoor flying so much more risky?

Other than obstacles in nearly every direction? Nothing.
Ok, so if you are a somewhat practiced pilot, in theory, you should be ok, right? I mean, you don't *need* GPS to fly.

To OP: Sorry for hijacking your thread for a bit.

Ok, so if you are a somewhat practiced pilot, in theory, you should be ok, right?
I fly lots of DJI drones and I still would never attempt to fly a Phantom inside of a small building like a house.

I fly lots of DJI drones and I still would never attempt to fly a Phantom inside of a small building like a house.
Ok, I get it. It is the size of the structure that increases the danger. Common sense.

I thought there was some other, hidden danger, I was not aware of. Thank you for your time.

Reactions: Pharm
Not flying inside...just trying to learn how to initialize...no props on. Found the simulator on DGI App and "flying" inside to learn controls. One day when it warms up I will try outside.
With *No Props ON *.....just be careful to "NOT HOLD IT WIDE OPEN" on the motors for a long time..them eight bearing are not meant for that wide open revving with out props on !...my answer was posted here on a question somebody had By a very well known member that knows his stuff !

That makes sense then. You shouldn't run into that problem when starting your Phantom up outside.

Someone I know recently tryed to fly his new p4p indoors for the first time, it ended up trashing his 60 inch curved TV...flying indoors is not a good idea...lol

Someone I know recently tryed to fly his new p4p indoors for the first time, it ended up trashing his 60 inch curved TV...flying indoors is not a good idea...lol
I Gasp.....i've heard of that too..and worse part was it near hit a person ! here's a Video Of what could Or might happen IF you flew indoors and was Not too good at all YET at the controls LIKE SHUT DOWN ! !have the volume UP.....so you can hear all the excitement !
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've e flying rc since 1975, and I wouldn't attempt flying indoors at home. As most have stated above, and at 2.5 lbs of mass, and these motors have tremendous torque. a slight misstep and disaster. Using the simulator, make sure the camera assembly is cooled by a fan of some sorts as they have a tendency to overheat.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I Gasp.....i've heard of that too..and worse part was it near hit a person ! here's a Video Of what could Or might happen IF you flew indoors and was Not too good at all YET at the controls LIKE SHUT DOWN ! !have the volume UP.....so you can hear all the excitement !
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Might as well release a full grown wild bobcat in the house.

I've e flying rc since 1975, and I wouldn't attempt flying indoors at home. As most have stated above, and at 2.5 lbs of mass, and these motors have tremendous torque. a slight misstep and disaster. Using the simulator, make sure the camera assembly is cooled by a fan of some sorts as they have a tendency to overheat.
Stuka....seems like all give a lots of advice on the firing UP of the Quad to perform maintenance Updates ect....But theirs hardly ever a mention / advice of the small fan pointed on the "Gimbal Assembly" when the quad is doing updates ect ! because it sure will get hot !...Thanks to you....IF this guy follows your fan advice He won't see the "OVERHEATED GIMBAL" sign on the tablet or phone.......Thanks Stuka *

I have two means to cool the gimbal / camera assembly :

a DIY plate with PC fan mounted powered by a 4cell NiMh pack ....

Then when in local Supermarket - they had Laptop Cooler trays ion offer for less than $10 ... so I grabbed one. Being powered by USB or 5V ... I found I could use my DJI battery via Telesin Discharger to run it ...

Nigel

9 Degrees??? Ha!! That's beach weather. It was Minus 29 degrees here in Ontario, Canada this morning.

Hope that makes you feel a little warmer.

Bud

Yes beginner mode and I am indoors...maybe that is why...difficult to get satellite connection for GPS.

Too dang cold to try out side, 9 degrees, to try and get better signals.

Thanks

Would you please explain why you can't run the motors full out without the props? I've tested RC aircraft engines many times for long periods without props with no ill effects, ever.

Bud

With *No Props ON *.....just be careful to "NOT HOLD IT WIDE OPEN" on the motors for a long time..them eight bearing are not meant for that wide open revving with out props on !...my answer was posted here on a question somebody had By a very well known member that knows his stuff !

Reactions: dclifton

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic