P3 Firmware Three drones, three failures

I am getting so frustrated and disappointed. Started this process three months ago:

- Purchased Standard but could not update firmware, so I returned it and upgraded to a Professional.
- Could not update firmware on Professional either, so I returned it for a replacement Professional.
- Now I can't update firmware on second Professional (drone #3).

I'm using a Mac. I go to DJI.com and download Professional firmware. (The .bin file goes to my "Downloads" in top right corner. Using a card reader, I move the .bin file from my "Downloads" file to my SD card. I then insert the card into the drone and power up the drone. Absolutely nothing to indicate my update is processing. Yes, I've left it in there for hours. Also, when I place the card back in my card reader, I get no "update successful" or "update failed" message. It's like nothing happened.

This is my last shot at this drone. If no one can assist me, it's going to be returned and I'll just have to wish I had a drone. (PS, in an attempt to pull at your heartstrings, my wife is severely disabled and has been very anxious to see this thing in action…)
You're following the correct procedure...you don't have to unzip the file, just drag it from your downloads onto the sd card, but make sure you put it in the root directory of the card..not into the DCIM folder. Put card in Phantom, switch on, and the update should start.

Reactions: flpholt
yep it is just that easy well said

You need the .bin file on the SD card. Go to your Mac, double click on the ZIP file. The Archive Utility will open, and extract any files in the ZIP. You should now see a folder of the ZIP contents. Select the .bin file only, and copy it to root (top level) of the SD card. Insert SD card in the bird, power on the bird. Have a cup of coffee, or your favorite brew. Your Phantom should now update.

You're following the correct procedure...you don't have to unzip the file, just drag it from your downloads onto the sd card, but make sure you put it in the root directory of the card..not into the DCIM folder. Put card in Phantom, switch on, and the update should start.

You certainly do need to uncompress the zip file. You _only_ use the .bin file. If a person's software displays the .zip file as a folder this is fine. But it's only a _representation_ that it's just another folder containing files. If they click on that folder and it displays files, including the .bin file it's still compressed. Once they drag the .bin file over to another folder they are uncompressing that zipped file. Once someone understand this they can better understand what is taking place and better know how to manipulate compressed files.

just find another pilot around you to show you how to due it

Best answer (but I appreciate the others as well). That's EXACTLY what I've been doing for 3 months!! I'm moving the .bin file to the root directory (not DCIM) and it acts like I've done absolutely nothing! Maybe this company is selling returned drones!

You need the .bin file on the SD card. Go to your Mac, double click on the ZIP file. The Archive Utility will open, and extract any files in the ZIP. You should now see a folder of the ZIP contents. Select the .bin file only, and copy it to root (top level) of the SD card. Insert SD card in the bird, power on the bird. Have a cup of coffee, or your favorite brew. Your Phantom should now update.
It is automatically unzipped (shows up as the .bin file) after I click "Zip" on the DJI page. I've searched and there is no option
for me to unzip or decompress the .bin file (actually, the .bin file, which I DO get, is unzipped if I understand it correctly). I believe I'm doing
it correctly (it's quite an easy task after all). Somewhere along the line, though, something gets screwed up. (I don't have any problem
admitting that it's user error, I just can't imagine what I'm doing wrong. It's only 3 or 4 steps!)

You certainly do need to uncompress the zip file. You _only_ use the .bin file. If a person's software displays the .zip file as a folder this is fine. But it's only a _representation_ that it's just another folder containing files. If they click on that folder and it displays files, including the .bin file it's still compressed. Once they drag the .bin file over to another folder they are uncompressing that zipped file. Once someone understand this they can better understand what is taking place and better know how to manipulate compressed files.
Agreed. But other than moving the .bin file over to the drone's sd card, there is not further "unzipping" required. It's kind of automatic (which is what I think rockydog meant. Right…??

just find another pilot around you to show you how to due it
I've tried but haven't found anyone. I even went to a computer store and had them download the file onto my sd card with a Windows PC (was only $10). Same problem...

Maybe a bad sd card?

Sent from my iPad using Phabulous PhantomPilots mobile app

If it helps any, I've placed the .bin file in Google Drive. This is a direct link.

P3X_FW_V01.08.0080.bin
Thanks, great idea! I've included a screen shot of what you sent me (the file on top) and the one I downloaded from DJI (the second one). As you see, they are the same! So at least you know I'm not crazy. I WILL try to move yours over to my sd card though just to see what happens.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 8.08.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 8.08.09 PM.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 340
I guess not if someone else downloaded it for you ,well I'm stumped
I'm totally stumped too. I'm downloading the .bin file someone tcope sent me, but it appears as if it won't work either. I'll leave it in for awhile and see what happens...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj