Three bladed carbon fiber props?

Reaction score
Anyone know about these things?

BTG Upgrade 3-Blade 3-Leaf Carbon Fiber Propellers for DJI Phantom 3 Professional

61cRcdeFtyL._SL1024_.jpg

I wouldn't go near them. Taking a big risk if you do.

That thread linked above says 3 blades are quieter. I know I worked on CH-58s and OH-58Ds and the 4 bladed OHs were way quieter, never really knew why though. But those were real helicopters you know. lol

I would like quieter.

They aren't extensively tested by dji so you are taking a big chance. I'll only use stock props. How much quieter could they be? 5%, 10%? Still very loud

I read awhile back you could sand the raised letters from the top of the props and also the leading edge's to make the stock props quieter and tried it. I didn't notice anything but now having a set of slick *** props :)

That thread linked above says 3 blades are quieter. I know I worked on CH-58s and OH-58Ds and the 4 bladed OHs were way quieter, never really knew why though.
Quieter (on a real helicopter) because the velocity of the tip of the blade through the air is much lower.

These will be rubbish on your Phantom and definitely not any kind of upgrade..

They are great, stand back when you hit the throttle. Very quit.power big time. But you haft to trade flight time.
You aren't going to improve the tuned propulsion system that DJI design engineers put together by using cheap unbalanced rubbish that probably doesn't have composite hubs necessary for the P3.

Or maybe they are just holding off to the p4 to use 3 blades lol. Gotta keep somethings under wrap

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

3 blade props are equally good as 2 blade props and are less noisy for the same lift power. The main issue is we need props whose load speed characteristics match with motor load speed characteristics for best efficiency. Picking a random set of 3 blade props on P3 will definitely give inferior performance and same will happen if you pickup any 2 blade non-DJI prop set. We assume that DJI has matched the characteristics.

Expect about 5-6 minutes of reduced flight time with 3 bladed props.

DJI engineers want to design the most efficient P3 possible.
Factory mangers want to streamline the production.
The bean counters want to cut product costs.
DJI makes the best Phantom they can for a certain price point, but there are compromises along the way. There are improvements that can be made to the Phantom 3. But I don't think 3 bladed props are one I would want. Slightly quieter and a heavier payload lift, but shorter flight time.

Last edited:
More stress on the Phantom motors, mounts and body

Quite correct, FASTFJR, two blade props Do put more stress on motors, mounts and body.
N.B.
Everyone should be aware...
- The effects of gyroscopic precession are pulsed, at double rpm, when using two bladed props.
- Three blade props don't eliminate the effects of gyroscopic precession but, have a smooth consistant response to it.

Three-blade props are sometimes used on Hubsans to make them quieter, but apparently they soak up the battery life. (Never tried them myself.)

I used them on my Syma x5c and they sucked. Less lift, less response and slower. Not worth a penny. I don't see how they could be any better on the P3A or any Phantom. I would avoid them completely.

Anyone know about these things?

BTG Upgrade 3-Blade 3-Leaf Carbon Fiber Propellers for DJI Phantom 3 Professional

Yeah, I gave them a fair test hoping they would benefit a P3P I had set up for extended flight that carried tandem, extra power. They needed a bit of balancing, first of all. However, the only thing I can recommend them for is their looks. They look really fine :) Something special.

They spin faster than the regular props. The bird flew OK, but I really wasn't comfortable with them. Too bad, like I said, they look **** good... I didn't have to bother timing the test flight, or anything. I could see they weren't nearly as efficient as the standard props.

That thread linked above says 3 blades are quieter. I know I worked on CH-58s and OH-58Ds and the 4 bladed OHs were way quieter, never really knew why though. But those were real helicopters you know. lol

I would like quieter.

Chuck...The more blades you have, the slower the rotor disk has to turn to get the same amount of lift. But the rotor disk diameter has to remain the same. The noise is created by the blade tips which are travelling just at or above the speed of sound. (I'm referring to a real helicopter, not a drone). But the principle still applies. So, if the rotor speed can be slowed down, the result is less noise.

The old Huey pilot.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl