Thoughts on updating firmware vs waiting

Reaction score
I have been flying my P3 with the original firmware for a couple of weeks and it works fine. I've read a bunch of stories about people having problems with the video feed disconnecting after they installed the firmware update.

Wondering what people's views are on the benefits of the new firmware vs the risk of having problems I don't now have. I was hoping for an update above v1.1.8, but no updates since 5/8/15.

thanks

You will have to update to 1.8 or you might not be able to apply future updates.

This is what I have after attempting to update firmware.
Does this mean It's current?

Packet: P3S_FW_V01.01.0008.bin
Result: Abort.
The firmware on the SD card is identical to or older than the current firmware on the aircraft.

So, what your say is the factury loaded the latest firmware .08?
That would be my guess. If an update is needed and it works, you'll get a "SUCCESS" otherwise you get a "FAILURE". If none is needed but you try anyway, you'll get an "ABORT". You should be able to check the version once you power up the bird and connect everything. Can't tell you where since I'm not near mine, but I know I've seen it.

Reactions: Bob Publicover
I have been flying my P3 with the original firmware for a couple of weeks and it works fine. I've read a bunch of stories about people having problems with the video feed disconnecting after they installed the firmware update.

Wondering what people's views are on the benefits of the new firmware vs the risk of having problems I don't now have. I was hoping for an update above v1.1.8, but no updates since 5/8/15.

thanks

I would wait a little just in case, I recall a simple mixup naming wise when 8 arrived buy was quickly fixed. As for not being able to skip a version that should not matter. That would be silly, as time goes on some stock will miss an upgrade or two or three, the software will know all past versions and update accordingly.

Bugs crop up in all software, windows android the list goes on...with so many units any bugs are detected within a week or so.

If I am in airplane mode the firmware asks do you want to check now, I say no and things are fine.

Last edited:
You will have to update to 1.8 or you might not be able to apply future updates.
If you really wan't to wait and hold on, just download the current firmware and keep a copy of the file in your pc for later, so if they release further updates and you wan't to update later then you can do the 1.8, and apply the next updates after...

Also from my experience old versions are always available on DJI website, you just got to change the link address to old firmware version number and it should download it...

I'm still running "out the box" firmware haven't seen the need to update....fpv device is android.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic