This gimbal vibration is killing me

Reaction score
So I got my new Walkera g2-d installed and again I experiencing pretty bad vibrations.

My cheap chinese gimbal vibrated too, and I added a piece of innertube under the gopro and used rubber bands to secure it better, and it helped quite a bit. But still, sometimes almost ruined parts of video because of the vibrations would continue.

The vibrations only happen when rolling forward to the max, so basically when the drone is doing 15-30 mph. Wind appears to make it worse. When rolling backward very fast vibration happens less.

It vibrates with both stock p1 8 inch props and p2 9443s.

I did a bit of reading on the forum and I saw one member that talked about his shell being cracked near the motor mounts, and that could cause vibration. My shell does have a crack on the front right motor mount. I've read that this is no big deal, and I plan on gorilla gluing it or something, and using a sewing needle to get deep in the crack. But I don't know if this could be causing the vibrations. It does appear to be slowly getting worse.

I'm not sure if my props are balanced. I'll be getting a balancer here soon.

It's driving me nuts, and it's highly disappointing.

I'll be uploading a video to youtube here in a second to show you the vibrations.

Attachments

• 11692971_10156205618800131_180705634_n.jpg
    11692971_10156205618800131_180705634_n.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 409

here is the video

I forgot to add: I am using my old cheap chinese gimbal dampers. The walkera ones seem like a joke.

This may be a stupid question, but what on earth are dampers even for? They're nothing but a pain, and when the gopro is hard mounted to the phantom, I see absolutely no vibrations at all. Aside from crappy rolling video.
I'm convinced my gimbal is better off without them at all if I could do it that way. Or at least very hard dampers.

Below I see a lot of very similar threads with no answer to them at all.

This seems like a widespread problem with not a lot of answers.

Balancing the props will definitely help quite a bit.

I have read that using Neutral density filters on gopro causes decreased shutter speed and that causes less jello making into the recorded video!
Really want to try that myself!

Hey UJunkie,

Can you have your bird hover and touch it gently to feel for the vibration. I'm trying to eliminate the possibility of it being props or motors. Honestly doesn't sound like it is prop or motor related, but when hauling butt stuff does shake a bit more for me also.

What is the gross weight?

Have you tried adjusting your gains? Perhaps you could reply with a screen shot of the NAZA assistant gimbal page. More info will help us all.

The dampers are to reduce the vibrations from the bird before they reach the gimbal. Some folks say theirs are too soft, some say theirs are too stiff. Some people stuff them with earplugs or cotton.

The crack in your shell is the worst I've seen.
Great video of the vibration.

Looks to me like it's wind resistance overpowering the gimbal. You say it doesn't happen going backwards, what about going left and right?

I think we get what we pay for.
Take a peek at the folks using a $300 gimbal and see if they have the same issues.

Reactions: JKDSensei
I saw the vibration.

I think IflyinWY said everything I would have.

That would have been a pretty bad place to take a dive.
Getting to it would have been "fun".

I agree with the other comments and as someone who recently installed a cheap eBay brushless gimbal on P1, this reminds me of the gimbal motor vibration I got a couple times while setting it up.

I never really found out what was causing it but a manual calibration or two and it eventually stopped.

If you lightly touch the cam/gimbal and feel a sort of “buzz” that’s probably what’s going on.

Gross weight is 1050 grams.

I always hand land and any vibrations are not noticeable.

So I jammed the cheap chinese gimbal dampers with ear plugs.

It still vibrates a bit and I've just accepted it. Especially when flying full throttle into the wind or whatever. I did order a prop balance though. I'm hoping that will help.

I've read a bit on the forums and discovered atti is pretty much the best way to fly. So I tried that a bit and was much easier on the drone instead of pushing it into the wind full speed. I don't have the pitch control hooked up yet, I really need to get on that.

I had leftover vibrations, too, and am using a free trial of premier pro to stabilize. It works really well, so I might just suck it up and pay the monthly fee.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj