Thinking of using propeller guards?

Reaction score
Here in the UK you couldn't do much better than these.
IMG_5761.jpg

However, you will need to trim the moulding tags from each blade before you attache them to the mounts or they will jamb!!
Couple of minutes with a sharp knife solved the issue! and they just slide on and off!
IMG_5755.jpg

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
What does that mean to remove the molding tags from blade?? Are you actually cutting a piece of your rotor blades for the drone?? If so, NO brother don't do that find the time to acquire the propper guard designed for your platform. It may be an insignificant modification but it's probable that this will cause maintenance issues for you due to drone being off balance from said modification.

Thanks for the share here Cheddar man......a slight touch from a dremel too or the end of a fingernail file would work nicely too.

MIGHT BE a great idea to change that lower "LEFT" side prop.....i looked close at it and it has many nicks on the forward edge !....check the others too as i seen dirt and grass stains on them....i typed wrong side its been corrected to left side !

Last edited:
What does that mean to remove the molding tags from blade?? Are you actually cutting a piece of your rotor blades for the drone?? If so, NO brother don't do that find the time to acquire the propper guard designed for your platform. It may be an insignificant modification but it's probable that this will cause maintenance issues for you due to drone being off balance from said modification.
Read the post and look at the picture before making such a silly reply! Oh, and these are made specifically for the Phantom 3.

By the way when is the best time to visit UK other than the typical tourist seasons. I'm not a fan of being among gawkers but rather visit with folks that are outside the tourist areas
Mid winter, nice and quiet!

Thanks for the share here Cheddar man......a slight touch from a dremel too or the end of a fingernail file would work nicely too.

MIGHT BE a great idea to change that lower "LEFT" side prop.....i looked close at it and it has many nicks on the forward edge !....check the others too as i seen dirt and grass stains on them....i typed wrong side its been corrected to left side !
Yes I did some grass cutting yesterday when I landed on a tuft and the drone rolled onto its side - hence the purchase of the guards :D

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
LOL.....Cheddar you can still cut grass But only a 1/2 inch of it now with the prop guards LOL

I sent you a PM Cheddar*

Read the post and look at the picture before making such a silly reply! Oh, and these are made specifically for the Phantom 3.
Thanks for being rude in a cool way...I saw the pic.s and I can't see how these guards are meant for DJI Phantom / OEM products... I suppose by cutting tabs off you're able to reposition guard further out allowing props to spin freely makes sense now...cheers

There are four mounting brackets that screw onto each arm of the Phantom 2 or 3 using slightly longer bolts (supplied) into the motors, two red for the front arms
IMG_5762.jpg

and two white for the rear arms
IMG_5763.jpg

into which the propeller guards slide and lock with little catches.

IMG_5764.jpg

The casting tags are little bits of plastic left over from the moulding/casting procedure and if you don't trim them off they stick inside the mounting bracket making it very difficult to install or remove the guards. You are NOT cutting the tabs off, just the little bits of surplus plastic on the tabs.

Attachments

• IMG_5755.jpg
    IMG_5755.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 307
Hey guys this is to help you understand me. I pulled out my gaurds to compare and there are some subtle differences

Attachments

• 20190225_130920.jpg
    20190225_130920.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 325
  • 20190225_130723.jpg
    20190225_130723.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 298
Slight difference, yours looks a bit flimsier than the ones I bought? Exactly the same principal though.
IMG_5765.jpg

I have a set of DJI propguards I got as part of a broken drone I bought for parts. I’ve never used them though. Do you guys always fly with prop guards? Or only in confined environments? And does it reduce the flight time significantly or have any other impact on flight performance?

The only thing I've noticed is that it seems a bit more stable, but then it's slightly heavier. Time wise, seem to get 20 minutes per charge.

It looks like propeller guards will see more use as the new Notice of Proposed Rulemaking from the FAA says no flight will be permitted over people unless the propellers are protected in some way to make them incapable of causing a "laceration" to a human. They significantly affect performance, but we'll have to figure out something.

"They significantly affect performance" In what way, I haven't noticed any significant difference but then I'm still fairly new to drone flying.

Prop guards are like training wheels on a bike. You will get rid of them quickly. Never used them, never will unless mandated. To me they are basically useless. If you clip a tree, you will still crash.

For once I have to disagree with you Fly Dawg! I was flying/filming through an area last week where there is a miniature Stone Henge. I thought it would be cool to fly through one of the arches so did so. On doing so I clipped one of the vertical stones but just bounced off it. Had I not had the guards on the props they would have contacted it and it would almost certainly have trashed the props! I'll leave them on for now :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1