Thinking about dropping my Mavic Pro order for a Phantom 4.

Reaction score
I haven't been waiting as long as some people for them, but it just seems like it may not be worth it. If I don't have it in hand next week, it will take a lot not to switch.

What are the camera differences in the two? Isn't the P4 camera better? I know the Mavic is way more portable, but the wait and problems with the smaller Mavic has me second guessing.

Thanks.

What are the camera differences in the two?
Per the Mavic FAQ:

"The two cameras have the same features, but the Mavic’s camera has a smaller FOV, is able to focus as closely as 0.5m and can be rotated 90° for portrait shots and selfies. The Phantom 4’s larger FOV makes it better suited for landscape imaging."

"The Mavic is smaller, lighter, and easier to carry with you thanks to its foldable design. Its new OcuSync transmission system has a longer transmission range and 1080p resolution. Due to its larger size, the Phantom 4 has a higher maximum speed and can withstand stronger winds."

I was looking at both and opted for the P4 and have not regretted it. It's easy, stable and just downright fun.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I want to be able to use my iPad Mini 4 with a Mavic Pro so I can see what I have to focus on other than just wanting a larger viewing screen for my aging eyes. I know there are adapters out there, and I know it will actually fit in the RC, but I just would like there to have been an option for a regular Phantom sized RC. Also, the Mavic Pro RC has to be charged more, which may not really be a problem. Also, if I fit the iPad Mini into the RC, I can't see how an all-important hood could be attached, but I'm sure it has already been done.

I've never handled or even seen a Mavic Pro, but it appears that they may not suffer the same problem as cracked airframes like the Phantoms are prone to. I'm unbelievably POed that I have a crack in my P4's airframe even though I'm taking really good care of it. They have to put an end to that problem with the Phantom 5.

I like that the Mavic Pro has about a mile more listed range than the P4, which will come in very handy with my Litchi missions. The big problem I see is that the Mavic Pro has to be focused, which I won't be able to do since it will be disconnected for about 15 minutes during my long missions. I've seen MANY Mavic Pro videos which aren't focused properly. I'm wondering if the smaller screens I believe most people are using make it appear that it is focused properly when it isn't.

The greatest thing about the Mavic Pro is that it is so darned portable. It is a major undertaking flying my P4 from somewhere other than my house since I pack everything away due to not wanting the slightest damage. With the Mavic Pro, I'd probably be up and flying in a couple of minutes where it would take between 5 and 10 minutes with my P4. Also, the size, color, shape and lesser noise probably make it more stealthy than the P4 so I can see owners have better relations with the neighbors and others out in public. I think the classic Phantom shape is negatively ingrained in the public's eye due to bad press and careless pilots.

If the P5, which many believe will be released later this year, is not enough for me to want to upgrade to, I may pick up a Mavic Pro since I can get a pretty good price on one at Apple due to employee pricing. The Phantom 4 Pro is out of the question because I don't want another crack-prone airframe.

Reactions: hotashes

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel