Thermal imaging

The original post "Why should I spend $5,000 to attach a Flir to my P4P when I can buy a brand new Parrot Bebop with a Flir installed already for $1,500????"

My response... DJI (OEM) should offer a Thermal Phantom... to compete with Parrot's Bebop Thermal, which at $1,500 is just a Bebop 2 with $300.00 Flir One Pro camera mounted on the other end.

The Flir is a fixed camera, without a Gimbal... so... Good concept, poorly executed. If you want a thermal drone, there is not much, that I know of on the OEM market, between the Parrot and Matrice.

Reactions: Bellaflys2016
I know that you can go directly to FLIR and they will sell you a number of DJI drones that they either install or send with each one. They will install it on the Phantom for you. The one they offer is almost $5,000

I know that you can go directly to FLIR and they will sell you a number of DJI drones that they either install or send with each one. They will install it on the Phantom for you. The one they offer is almost $5,000

Yep, we looked at them. As well as the "Thermal Kits" Such as the Inspire One + Flir camera and the Matrice 200 + Flir camera.

I just like the portability of the P4P, just wish it had a thermal camera that I could control.

Don't be scared... the Matrice 210 is truly worth the ride (if DJI can figure out the battery fw issue... but that's another story) ...

Anyway, I hope this post is not too long.

...we recently experienced an underground steam leak on campus and our energy provider wanted to compare their annual aerial (by plane) thermal Infrared images with a sUAS. (Why? ...ROI, Proof of Concept?) (Why me? - I just love to fly).

So, since I was willing to take the Red Pill and was ready to see how deep the Rabbit Hole went, they provided the Matrice 210, Zenmuse XTR (640x512), and Zenmuse X5s payload.

IMHO the Matrice 210 paid for itself during it's first flight!

Here is what we were able to do with it.

1. Thermal Infrared of the campus - by plane ~$10K to $25K per year:
View attachment 106343

2. Google Earth image - best guess of where the leak occurred
View attachment 106344

3. Quick YouTube video from steam leak investigation with the Matrice 210

4. Area of Interest (AOI) 1: Ground temperature (19 degrees F) /Excavation (190 degrees F)
View attachment 106345

5. AOI 2 - Area under the car was 62.7 degrees F (car was parked overnight/engine cold - 33 degrees F) pipe is ~6ft underground at this location
View attachment 106346

6. AOI 3 and AOI 4 - surface temperatures are close to "normal". Indicates pipe break is north of this point.
View attachment 106347
View attachment 106348

7. Here are the Matrice 210 images that we sent back to our energy provider (overlaid their Google Earth image)
View attachment 106350

...I have my FAA Part 107 Certificate and my Level 1 Infrared Thermography Certification

Wow. That is awesome sauce! Lol. Just goes to show the reason using drones is the best option in a lot of areas.

Reactions: Kilowatt54
I guess it will all depend on bang for the buck. They have them from $5,000 up to $12,000. I’ve always wanted the best tool for the job. So if I can afford it I’m going all in. I always buy the best tool when I shop at Home Depot. I hate the cheap stuff.
That is me too. High-res, radiometric I’m just confused about best focal length, which I guess will depend on the job,to some degree.

You are right.
For mapping on campus I am very happy with the Phantom 4 Pro (V1). Since I do not do survey work, I use a Trimble Geo 7x to collect sub meter accurate Ground Control Points. Good enough for GIS mapping.

But, I like Heliguy's explanation about the RTK on the Matrice RTK
I wonder if the P4 - RTK has the same pros and cons. If yes, I'm happy sticking with my P4P (V1) and Trimble GCPs.
I’ve been told the RTK on the M210 is more for navigation. It helps when navigating near metal structures like towers, etc. The P4-RTK does a better job of writing location data to the images so it’s better for mapping. I guess the the M210-RTK isn’t a good mapping solution. I would assume the P4-RTK is good for navigation also, but the P4 version has the mapping advantage.

I looked atthe enterprise model and i dont remember seeing that. Is it a newer release? Looks like exactly what i need for now
The Enterprise "Dual" has the Flir Radiometric camera.
Screenshot_20181221-043734_Chrome.jpg

If they built an OEM Phantom, with Thermal, or something smaller than the Matrice, I would be in my Happy Place.

Well now you can be happy! DJU has the Mavic 2 Enterprise Dual. FLIR is mounted right next to the regular lens on a the 3-axis gimbal.

Reactions: Bellaflys2016

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl