Thermal how to

Reaction score
Ok new here my first time posting I just got a phantom 3 standard thanking I could just buy a thermal cam to put on it. well not that simple so is there a way I can mount one on the back behind the other cam? and how would I power it. and i would just fly drone from my phone and use my buddy for the thermal view what kind of rang would i get from the thermal view like live. wanting use for hunting and any info on a rig I can biuld be awesome because I only bought this for this setup

The phantom 3 series are not designed to mount other types of cameras other than the one built in. If you need a thermal camera in a drone you can probably buy another type of drone that can accept the camera you want.

Reactions: Andrew0157
The phantom 3 series are not designed to mount other types of cameras other than the one built in. If you need a thermal camera in a drone you can probably buy another type of drone that can accept the camera you want.
Probley could but I don't really want spend a ton of money on a drone I seen a kit where it would work for 800$ but then I have buy the camera for 1800$

Probley could but I don't really want spend a ton of money on a drone I seen a kit where it would work for 800$ but then I have buy the camera for 1800$
Well, thermal cameras are not cheap and is mostly used in a business environment where they have the cash available for the correct drone and camera. Try to Google it and see if a cheap drone can use a thermal camera.

Well, thermal cameras are not cheap and is mostly used in a business environment where they have the cash available for the correct drone and camera. Try to Google it and see if a cheap drone can use a thermal camera.
Yea I trying do more resurching but trust me I know they not cheap I have 3 of them we use them for hunting

using a drone for hunting ? oh my , thats not hunting ! jmo
Well pigs are pest to us farmer they cause alot of damage to the fields haha they getting smart so time for me get smarter I got 2 500 lum flash lights strap to the side haha I know I scared the hell out some people driving by the field haha ufo

Assuming A0157 is in the USA, Some States forbid the use of drones for game hunting/fishing... as they should.

Assuming A0157 is in the USA, Some States forbid the use of drones for game hunting/fishing... as they should.
As they should not I am predator hunting for coyote and hogs stuff that puts a hurt on are living killing are cows and tearing up are fields costing thousands some one has to do it I for sure don't have no problem with it

I was very specific regarding hunting and fishing.
I am not commenting on pest control as I have no knowledge.

If your protecting commercial Flora or Fauna you would seemingly need a 107 license for such flights.

I was very specific regarding hunting and fishing.
I am not commenting on pest control as I have no knowledge.

If your protecting commercial Flora or Fauna you would seemingly need a 107 license for such flights.
Haha where I come from there no such thing in the US anything goes for pigs and all there no laws on how you kill them they just want them gone in my state

Reactions: Capn Dave
I know this post is super old... BUT... did anyone here ever figure out a decent option?
I have seen options for FLIR/thermal on a Phantom 3 standard in the past. Not the best options, but still they were options..
Knowing this I thought I would be able to repurpose one of mine. But now that the P3 is basically obsolete, or close to it, I'm not having much luck. Everyone says to just buy an inspire, well thanks captain obvious lol I wish I could but that would use up the $$ I saved for the thermal lol then I would need a new case, extra batteries etc....

As for the hog hunting: yea, drones and thermal etc is wrong for normal hunting. It's like baiting deer etc. BUT down south, the hogs are not native and destroy EVERYTHING! Most places I think no license is required and I've heard of some states/counties actually putting out bounties on the hogs just to thin the populations.

using a drone for hunting ? oh my , thats not hunting ! jmo

Keep in mind that some places allow hunting certain "Pest" animals with Thermal Imaging.

Haha where I come from there no such thing in the US anything goes for pigs and all there no laws on how you kill them they just want them gone in my state

I bet you'd be unpleasantly surprised if you contacted the local FSDO and posed that scenario to them.

I bet you'd be unpleasantly surprised if you contacted the local FSDO and posed that scenario to them.
. I really can’t figure out anything that the FAA would care about here: sounds like it’s amateur flying, for a recreational purpose. It’s not like he’s arming the bird here. If he starts advertising a hog removal service, that’s one thing, but I don’t see this as any different than me flying the drone down to the Other end of the property to see if there’s any deer hanging around down there.

Reactions: weldor
. I really can’t figure out anything that the FAA would care about here: sounds like it’s amateur flying, for a recreational purpose. It’s not like he’s arming the bird here. If he starts advertising a hog removal service, that’s one thing, but I don’t see this as any different than me flying the drone down to the Other end of the property to see if there’s any deer hanging around down there.
I share your opinion but however if a person is getting technical he would need his 107 because he is flying it taking care of his farm which sounds like his his income. The way the wrote the rules is nuts. Now for another point I wonder if the people that harp and scream about other guys breaking the FAA rules on drones ever speed when driving or roll through a stop sign when nothing is coming. Lol

Reactions: weldor

If this is in any way protecting/supporting his farm (he said the hogs are hurting their living) it can not be argued as recreational. Besides, what you think, I think, and everyone else here thinks doesn't matter which is exactly why I mentioned the FSDO.

If a farmer can not use a sUAS to simply inspect his crops without a Part 107 why would hog hunting to protect the farm NOT fall under the same scrutiny? It would.

I highly suggest the OP make the phone call (anonymously if you desire) to his FSDO and pose the same question to them.

The FAA is pretty clear that money is money lol you may not receive compensation for the drone work directly but it is involved..
The only way I could see is being recreational is if the hunters are NOT farmers protecting assets AND if they are NOT receiving any compensation from farmers or the state/county.
I would suggest the farmers get 107 certified just in case, this also opens up other opportunities for them.

I share your opinion but however if a person is getting technical he would need his 107 because he is flying it taking care of his farm which sounds like his his income. The way the wrote the rules is nuts. Now for another point I wonder if the people that harp and scream about other guys breaking the FAA rules on drones ever speed when driving or roll through a stop sign when nothing is coming. Lol

I fail to see the comparison between moving violations and illegal compensation.

Does your profession require education, certification, or licensing?

I’ll assume it does... How would you react if others began competing with you who did not hold the requisites?

Maybe now you can see there’s no comparison to driving a car.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl