The Very Latest on the Phantom 5

Reaction score
Hi,

I'll admit that I haven't been keeping up with the latest tech news regarding a Phantom 5 introduction from DJI.
I do know there has been much talk and anticipation regarding DJI coming out with a follow on model after the very successful P4 series of aircraft.
But, aside from rumours, has there been anything concrete from DJI about the release of a Phantom 5?
And, what's been the delay in DJI releasing a Phantom 5?
Are we really any closer to knowing what DJI has in store?
And, what is the likely POSSIBLE release date IF DJI were to come out with a Phantom 5?

Thanks for any comments.......

Hi,

I'll admit that I haven't been keeping up with the latest tech news regarding a Phantom 5 introduction from DJI.
I do know there has been much talk and anticipation regarding DJI coming out with a follow on model after the very successful P4 series of aircraft.
But, aside from rumours, has there been anything concrete from DJI about the release of a Phantom 5?
And, what is the likely POSSIBLE release date IF DJI were to come out with a Phantom 5?

Thanks for any comments.......
I don't believe you'll get much response on this subject seeing as it's been beaten to death. Nevertheless, I never weighed in since I wasn't the least bit interested. But for what it's worth, I don't see a P5 in our future. The company seems to be focusing on more commercial applications such as the P4 Multispectral and the Agras T16.

The P4 pro was released three years ago, with a very minor update for the V2.0 1.5 yrs ago.
The P4 pro has been out of production for over a year now and DJI originally gave a fake explanation that it was due to parts supply issues.
Since then DJI has given no hints that they intend any replacement and they've had plenty of time to if they wanted to..
You'd have to ask DJI.
But DJI aren't saying anything, and if they did their information is likely to be unreliable.
There's no way anyone can answer that.

Reactions: Recoveryone
Take a look at the Mavic site, and you realize there's no going back. To Phantoms at least. Soon it will be a badge of honor to own one. Like the old guys at the wharf that won't let go of their Wooden Boats. I will always own a couple just to be able to haul c*** around. Happy Days. ?

Mini, Skydio2, Gannet (waterproof fishing drone) on order. Times Are A-Changin

Reactions: MTO
The P4 pro was released three years ago, with a very minor update for the V2.0 1.5 yrs ago.
The P4 pro has been out of production for over a year now and DJI originally gave a fake explanation that it was due to parts supply issues.
Since then DJI has given no hints that they intend any replacement and they've had plenty of time to if they wanted to..

You'd have to ask DJI.
But DJI aren't saying anything, and if they did their information is likely to be unreliable.

There's no way anyone can answer that.
Agree with your overall summary... and it’s the last of the model; although the V2 upgrade was only a few; the switch to ocusync protocol was a significant update in transmission. The props... not sure if that effective, but added a nice look and the ESC’s they added improvement. But mainly, it seems the V2 demands a lot more price on resale... that seems to be the biggest upgrade.

Is is a shame that the Phantom with its greater weight and stability is history now. But most people are now looking for portability / compactness to carry around.

I am a devotee to my P3P ... because it does more than I need as a hobby flyer. Maybe many others are like me. I for one cannot justify the high price of the P4 for what I need .. nor the latest Mavics in fact ...

I have a feeling that DJI may have thought that with pricing going ever up for the models - that they'd reached about as high as they could ask, for what is essentially a Hobby Grade 'Drone'. With other brands offering Hobby Grade 'drones' at less cost (some are actually approaching DJI capabilitys... for a lot less money) ... its possibily time to let go ?

At school days they told us that the title must encompass the core idea of the article.
Your title completely missed that or should I say it is the opposite of what you wrote.
But you'll get much more interest for sure if that is your aim.

It wasn't enough of an upgrade for many existing owners of the P4 pro to move up to.
Same camera, same performance, no improvements that made any difference.
Very true, and many held to the P4P.... for the money, it was hard to justify the upgrade. Although many did upgrade based on the sales of the P4Pv2... some of those would upgrade regardless too. Those with a P3 series, it was worth the extra $$ to go P4Pv2 over the P4P.... new, but several great P4P buys appeared too... another indicator several did upgrade. I think the ocusync was the primary incentive, the props were an easy swap.

Similar to Mavic Pro and the Mavic Pro Platium... to many wasn't worth the upgrade but many purchased the props!

I did the upgrade from the v1.0 to the 2.0. My P4P Obsidian loves to fly away, so I became wary of flying it. I had no idea how much better the Ocusync system was compared to Lightbridge, until I tested it out. I don't regret my purchase. I still have my P4P Obsidian, but it hardly ever flies. I boot it up and fly it around the house just to make sure it's in working order in case I have to use it as a spare.

I did the upgrade from the v1.0 to the 2.0. My P4P Obsidian loves to fly away, so I became wary of flying it. I had no idea how much better the Ocusync system was compared to Lightbridge, until I tested it out. I don't regret my purchase. I still have my P4P Obsidian, but it hardly ever flies. I boot it up and fly it around the house just to make sure it's in working order in case I have to use it as a spare.
I'd agree, the Ocusync is a major transmission protocol improvement. For those flying in certain RF areas, the Ocusync provides an improvement worth the P4Pv2 investment. My Lightbridge Inspire 1 and M600PRO are great platforms but the LB doesn't compare to Ocusync versions... even when a Amp is used with LB2, still not as stable signal as Ocusync. DJI certainly has a plus on RC transmission.

Last edited:
Reactions: OOO
My P4P Obsidian loves to fly away, so I became wary of flying it
I've never known of a P4P to fly away like a Wifi drone can do. It should come back upon disconnect due to range or interference. Did you analyze the flight data to find out why it flew away? How many times did it fly away?

Take a look at the Mavic site, and you realize there's no going back. To Phantoms at least. Soon it will be a badge of honor to own one. Like the old guys at the wharf that won't let go of their Wooden Boats. I will always own a couple just to be able to haul c*** around. Happy Days. ?

Mini, Skydio2, Gannet (waterproof fishing drone) on order. Times Are A-Changin
You're on a direction I was thinking may be the next DJI platform... weather called the P5, P6, or something else... don't know.

But the Skydio2 has an shattering new design in OA and the logic matrix with their autonomous flight options. Their processing matrix and 360 optics introduces a new approach for various projects with smooth OA that stays close to objects like or better than manual control.

What.. 1 yr, 18 months ago... There was a 360 optical OA system DJI teased with that fell back into the labs, as well as a small phantom size Hex to complete with the H480 or better yet the H520.

In my opinion, that may be the next direction market they address after the new Mini market rush dies down.

If DJI brought out a small Hex... call it a P6P?? With 360 Optical OA, MFT payload... with autonomous flight features to compete with Skydio2... they'd have a unbeatable platform to compete with H520 3D / Terrain modeling, and Cinematic action the Skydio2 is targeted.

Last edited:
You're on a direction I was thinking may be the next DJI platform... weather called the P5, P6, or something else... don't know.

But the Skydio2 has an shattering new design in OA and the logic matrix with their autonomous flight options. Their processing matrix and 360 optics introduces a new approach for various projects with smooth OA that stays close to objects like or better than manual control.

What.. 1 yr, 18 months... There was a 360 optical OA system DJI teased with that fell back into the labs, as well as a small phantom size Hex to complete with the H480 or better yet the H520.

In my opinion, that may be the next direction market they address after the new Mini market rush dies down.

If DJI brought out a small Hex... call it a P6P?? With 360 Optical OA, MFT payload... with autonomous flight features to compete with Skydio2... they'd have a unbeatable platform to compete with H520 3D / Terrain modeling, and Cinematic action the Skydio2 is targeted.
They've got no choice but to match the market upgrades or they'll get left behind. They needed a kick in the butt and I'm glad it's from the USA.

They've got no choice but to match the market upgrades or they'll get left behind. They needed a kick in the butt and I'm glad it's from the USA.
Totally agree, and very nice it's USA doing the kicking! DJI has 75% market, and they've normally been the one that created the new markets... another nice plus is it was a USA company.

I actually think I recall they (DJI) toyed with similar technology a year or so back but ruled it out as not a driven revenue market at that time. I'm sure the "inside" corporate pressure to compete or take that segment is high, so I think we'll reap in the end with some pretty impressive hardware & technology from DJI and others. They've pretty much controlled the market in one way or the other for some time, it's refreshing to see that being challenged. DJI also doesn't bring new technology out as quickly as they develope or obtain, they use release dates to their advantage and to pull Buyers away from competing products in the past.

Have no knowledge how well the Skydio2 will perform but looks extremely promising for it's intended scope... I got one on order to obtain one and to support the company.

Reactions: Capt KO
With the advent of all Governments putting more and more regulation upon hobbyists flying for recreation I would venture a guess that there well not be further upgrades to the Phantom line. DJI seems to be moving into the more professional application realm where pilots are getting their part 107 licensing and having to pass private pilot like licensing instruction and tests. They are systematically taking the hobbyists out of the equation with restrictions and fear tactics of exorbitant fines. I know there are people out there that support the idea of the “ average citizen “ not being able to acquire drones due to misuse and safety concerns due to a few mindless idiots that have caused issues over the last few years. My view is there are many more things that can cause safety issues if someone is intent on creating havoc! It seems the Government always create rules and regulations to the lowest common denominator and punish the entire population rather than punishing the handful of perpetrators who wish to cause issues. So I see DJI spending their resources on the more “professional” areas and leaving the casual UAV pilots to toys that won’t fly above 30 feet vertically and horizontally and tiny FPV drones under 250 grams. Because, you know, the Government officials think the average person is too stupid and selfish to be trusted!! So we need to be stringently regulated!

Last edited:
Reactions: RBuzz and MTO
With the advent of all Governments putting more and more regulation upon hobbyists flying for recreation I would venture a guess that there well not be further upgrades to the Phantom line. DJI seems to be moving into the more professional application realm where pilots are getting their part 107 licensing and having to pass private pilot like licensing instruction and tests. They are systematically taking the hobbyists out of the equation with restrictions and fear tactics of exorbitant fines. I know there are people out there that support the idea of the “ average citizen “ not being able to acquire drones due to misuse and safety concerns due to a few mindless idiots that have caused issues over the last few years. My view is there are many more things that can cause safety issues if someone is intent on creating havoc! It seems the Government always create rules and regulations to the lowest common denominator and punish the entire population rather than punishing the handful of perpetrators who wish to cause issues. So I see DJI spending their resources on the more “professional” areas and leaving the casual UAV pilots to toys that won’t fly above 30 feet vertically and horizontally and tiny FPV drones under 250 grams. Because, you know, the Government officials think the average person is too stupid and selfish to be trusted!! So we need to be stringently regulated!
Several valid points and worthy concerns too!
Although I doubt the Recreational flyer will be totally ended... it will definitely change and have new regulations applied, hopefully if an individual is abusing FAA the applied "focused attention" is on the Individual and not a wide blanket control.

Currently too many recreational flyers to cease, but adding a few additional knowledge gates is a certainty... that's already started. I think you'll also eventually see different categories beyond the 2 current and the additional for the new BVLOS (most likely out of reach for small shops). I can easily see 2-3 Recreational Levels and 3 or more PT107 type levels. The highest level Recreational would have shown similar knowledge of the PT107 but not pursuing Income source. The middle level might have permission to fly within City's FAA Controlled airspace using LAANC system, the lowest level being Amateur not allowed in any controlled airspace.

The Owner/Flyer needs to have minimal understanding of the aerial responsibility, understand the possibly penalties, safety guidelines, and understand the legal possibilities. The aircrafts should also be individually registered & tagged. Actually, I'm not against the Aircraft when it's "Purchased" needs to have some sort of accountability associated to serial number and not sold as an unaccountable toy. Any other craft: Car, Bike, Boat, etc have a little paper work to indicate who purchased... and the ability to transfer Ownership.

Currently the two classifications are defined simplistically by "potential income source or business benefit". A "yes" means PT107, a "no" is Recreational. I feel that's lacking in scope, responsibilities and separation of skills. Even the definition of "potential income" is arguable and easily challenged, especially when the PT107 could declare prior to flight it was a recreational flight and falls under the Recreational category.

Not to stray too far into the above diversionary discussion... that's a whole new subject.
I feel the Recreational will continue, but they'll have more responsibility on their actions both FAA & Legal.

Regarding the Mavic Mini @ 249g. It is not released of any of the FAA responsibilities or legal. It's simply not required to be FAA Registered...IF it remains 249g. If it goes above 250g it is required to be registered. The DJI trim stickers, installing the FlyMore Prop Cages, landing leg extenders, body wrap, new 3rd party props(?), anything over 1 gram pushes it into required FAA Registration; It's based on Flight weight, not original weight.

Reactions: RBuzz
WOW ... !!

Sorry just trying to get my head around some of the comments ....

My own view is that a manufacturer is not concerned about what a Govt puts out as rules to use their products. Its not the manufacturer who is being limited - its the user.
Example : Motor manufacturer produces a car capable of 150mph. Govt's impose limits of maximum 60 ... 70mph or whatever far below what car is capable of. It doesn't make manufacturers then produce cars of 70mph or stop producing the faster ones.

What does change a manufacturers production is what they consider they can get away with selling. Whether it be priced to sell or dealers can move, as well as public opinion.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31