THE Ultimate Guide for all Phantom Vision and Vision+ owners

Reaction score
Well, now that I've got your attention:

To all Phantom Vision and Vision+ owners out there: this Summary Guide is for YOU!
It may not be THE "Ultimate" one but I'm sure it will help a lot of phantom's owners.

I'm the kind of guy who just hate to flip thru pages and pages of userguideS looking for stuff when only the important things need to be easily found.

Soooo, I made this "little" guide for all the newbies(to be used as a startup guide) and not so newbies(to be used as a reference/reminder guide) out there.

Almost nothing is from me, except for the hours I spent looking/extracting/formatting/summarizing important information all over the place :).
My sources were:
- Phantom User's Manual
- Naza User's Manual
- Comments found on the net
- Comments found on this site (BTW, if you see something you wrote, please let me know, I'll be glad to put your name on the list)
- Personal experiences

I've extracted what I think is important to know, remember, never forget about flying these birds.
I know, there are Wikis on the Net, but I found out there's always something missing.
Just have a look at my "Pre-Flight Checklist/Tips&Tricks" section, which, I think, is the most complete/detailed ever produce :)

Sections list:
What to Do & Not to Do First
Good to Know before you Go
Starting/Stopping the Motors
DJI Vision / Radar Function
Flight Environment Requirements
Pre-Flight Checklist/Tips & Tricks/Notes
- Inspection
- Power-Up
- DJI Vision
- Ready to Fly
- Know your switches
- Always be prepared for the Worst
- Landing
- Side Notes
Led Status (Phantom, RC & Extender)
Battery Status (RC, Extender & Smart)
Calibration
Naza mode and IOC. Why and How
How to Avoid Fly-Away / Recovering from a Fly-Away
Failsafe / Manual Failsafe
IOC Flight – Course Lock & Home Lock / CL Direction & HL Home Point Recording
Flight Limits (Height/Radius)
Ground Station
Preventive Maintenance Checklist
Phantom and RC Assistant / Camera Update

This guide is assuming that you already have set your Phantom in Naza Mode (dont' forget to turn IOC on...) and that bottom position of S1 switch is set to Failsafe and NOT Manual. BUT it can also be used if you haven't made the switch yet: just forget sections about IOC/HL/CL/ATTI... But I'm telling you, you're missing a lot.
Also, I'm assuming that all your firmware/software are up to date.

I'm open to comment, improvement, correction, new section, and so on. So feel free to contact me anytime.
This is a WIP-"Work in Progress". So if we work together we could made this thing THE Guide for the Phantom Vision.

Here's the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mv8d1hohc3mceym/DJI Phantom Vision Summary Guide.pdf?dl=0
Let me know what you think.

Enjoy, Fly Safe and Take Care.

Re: THE Ultimate Guide for all Phantom Vision and Vision+ ow

Excellent post!

Can you confirm RC antenna perpendicular? I've always been told run it sideways-Parallel to ground to provide best range, and also eliminating loss of signal when P2 is directly over head. The tip of the antenna is a dead zone so to speak.

I know :geek:
BUT this help me remember everything I needed to know much more easily. :D

Does the link works?

Damon said:
Excellent post!

Can you confirm RC antenna perpendicular? I've always been told run it sideways-Parallel to ground to provide best range, and also eliminating loss of signal when P2 is directly over head. The tip of the antenna is a dead zone so to speak.

I saw lots of tutorial videos with the wrong antenna orientation, so be careful...

Unless experience prove me wrong, The answer is Yes! As per the User Guide v1.4, Section 5,4:
Quote:
Antenna Orientation:
Keep the antenna pointing skyward, perpendicular to the ground for maximum remote control range during flight.
:End Quote

Fantomas said:

Does the link works?

Yes, the link works. If you really want to kill some time and take it to the next level, make the table of contents clickable. :p

Well done Fantomas

Very nice! Thanks for the time you put in.

Catalina36 said:
Fantomas said:

Does the link works?

Yes, the link works. If you really want to kill some time and take it to the next level, make the table of contents clickable. :p

Well done Fantomas

Thanks. Hope it's gonna help a lot of Phantom's owners out there :)
Share the joy :)))))

Good idea about the clickable TOC. BUT I'm no Word expert. Anyone wants to do it? I'll send him/her the .DOC version. Just tell me.

simple. Change major headings into the same headings font. Make them consistent (i.e. heading 1 ,2 or 3)then go to references tab and and click table of contents, word will automatically make the table of contents for you.

@Fantomas
thumbup1.gif

Downloaded and had a quick look, and it looks good so GJ!

-Tomas

I'm getting a 404 error on the link

Page 11, Section B, Flyaway,
Good points. You may want to clarify the results of these steps under different conditions.
1. You will be flying manually. (meaning she will not automatically hold position or fly in a straight line, without position hold she will drift)
... Home lock will not work and return to home will not work. You'll need to be able to see the Phantom to manually fly it back and compensate for wind drift.
... If the Phantom is out of sight, you won't be able to fly it in atti mode, skip to step 2
... If the Phantom stabilizes in atti mode and you have control, Manually increase altitude quickly to avoid obstacles and attempt to regain satellite lock.

2. Manually attempt to increase altitude before going to failsafe. Increased altitude will improve your chance to regain satellite lock and avoid hitting trees.
... If GPS is lost, the Phantom will attempt to land slowly wherever it is. A soft landing is better than a drop, but it will drift with the wind and possibly land in a tree or crash into whatever the wind blows it into.
... If it has GPS or regains GPS it may fly home.

3. Nothing to add. Last resort. If it's out of sight this will prevent it from getting further away but if it's out if sight you will not know if Step 2 was effective so will probably not get this far.

If compass error is the cause of the flyaway, it will most likely crash quickly before you could get to step 2.

S1 Switch... Re: Atti mode. It doesn't use the compass to maintain direction. It only uses the IMU gyros to detect yaw. It flys much like any small hobby quad that maintains level and orientation without GPS or compass. Therefore a switch to Atti mode is a good idea if there is a compass problem.
You will notice a huge difference in atti mode even if there is no wind. In atti mode it does not slow down by itself. It has momentum and will continue flying in whatever direction it was moving until you counter that momentum with thrust in the opposite direction.

Page 12, Never use CSC to shut off motors after landing. This will often cause a tipover.

You have a hover check on your list which may be the most important thing you can do.
I would only add to watch for circling and if none, confirm by doing a 360 degree yaw slowly and confirming it maintains position throughout.
If it does, that confirms compass calibration and function.
If you notice TBE, circling or other large movements in response to yaw, Land or catch land immediately. I recommend switching to Atti mode immediately. Do not attempt to yaw or move, just get it straight down asap.

Here's my Preflight and Postflight checklist. FWIW.
https://docs.google.com/a/hutchins1.net ... RJX3FCNVE/
My checklist is of course completely customized for me, so much of it may not be applicable to you.

Could not have made it better myself :lol:

cahutch said:
You have a hover check which may be the most important thing you can do.
I would only add to watch for circling and if none, confirm by doing a 360 degree yaw slowly and confirming it maintains position throughout.
If you notice TBE or circling, Land or catch land immediately, I recommend switching to Atti mode immediately. Do not attempt to yaw or move, just get it straight down asap.

Is it supposed to stay rock solid when doing the 360 check? or is a small bit of movement OK (breeze etc)?

cahutch said:
Page 11, Section B, Flyaway,
Good points. You may want to clarify the results of these steps under different conditions.

Thanks Cahutch. Some very interesting stuff. May I use some parts of your text and update THE Guide?

Fourblade said:
cahutch said:
You have a hover check which may be the most important thing you can do.
If you notice TBE or circling, Land or catch land immediately, I recommend switching to Atti mode immediately. Do not attempt to yaw or move, just get it straight down asap.

Is it supposed to stay rock solid when doing the 360 check? or is a small bit of movement OK (breeze etc)?

FWI (in the Guide) :)
Hover accuracy is +/- .8m (GPS/ATTI); Horizontal hover accuracy is +/- 2.5m (GPS only).

I heard somewhere (you know from the Colin guy :D) that since the Phantom cannot connect to military grade satellites. The GPS is not perfect.
So it WILL move even if no wind at all.

downloaded, had a short look.... FANTASTIC.
Thanks for your effort and time...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers