The Proof birds do Calculate. Bird spots me on fly by.

PhantomWetSuits

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
I was following the Lochness monster down the river when 5 migs passed over me when I was spotted a few hundred ft below them.

While my attention was focused forward on the 3 other migs you can clearly see the one 1 mig circle all the way around and than drop down in front of me for a surgical assault.

This bird behavior is interesting as I think he let me go and was letting other birds know he had me as he clearly pulls up but fakes the attack to save grace. lol
This has happened a couple of time now where flying backwards saved me and I cannot help but wonder how many drones are being attacked over the water from behind.
Interesting.

We talk about birds protecting there territory , there young, and nesting , but this seemed more calculated. lol'
I also want to add that the phantom has never been threatened like this in the hover position over the water only while in motion.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Phantom in the Rain.
coal

Last edited:
I have two thoughts on this. One is that a white drone looks like another bird and they attack it. I was hoping that a skin or possibly your wetsuit would take away the whiteness and make them think it’s not a bird. My second thought is. You were just too close to their nesting site and the gulls don’t care what it is, they will attack it.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
I get attacked by Gray kingbirds on almost every single flight I make. It's kinda scary, since they get extremely close to the drone and stay there circling around it and taking dives. Since they are small and extremely maneuverable, if I make a wrong move, someone will get hurt. In the past I have proven that birds will leave you alone if you gain altitude, since they will see you as the predator. Kingbirds don't give a f.... and will keep attacking you. They are well known to attack falcons and take them off the skies.

On another note, did you find the lockness monster, or did it get away?

Nice clip I thought that a landing position for seagull ,looked like he thought of landing on your drone and Abort last second,,yip our seagulls big here to,,I fly with them but we'll aware of size of them,I see if I can find my seagull,he was angry

I get attacked by Gray kingbirds on almost every single flight I make. It's kinda scary, since they get extremely close to the drone and stay there circling around it and taking dives. Since they are small and extremely maneuverable, if I make a wrong move, someone will get hurt. In the past I have proven that birds will leave you alone if you gain altitude, since they will see you as the predator. Kingbirds don't give a f.... and will keep attacking you. They are well known to attack falcons and take them off the skies.

On another note, did you find the lockness monster, or did it get away?
Nice clip I thought that a landing position for seagull ,looked like he thought of landing on your drone and Abort last second,,yip our seagulls big here to,,I fly with them but we'll aware of size of them,I see if I can find my seagull,he was angry

I agree there was an abort as he clearly had me on speed and position and Im thinking that once he was close enough he realized he could not eat me. lol

I have two thoughts on this. One is that a white drone looks like another bird and they attack it. I was hoping that a skin or possibly your wetsuit would take away the whiteness and make them think it’s not a bird. My second thought is. You were just too close to their nesting site and the gulls don’t care what it is, they will attack it.

So when you watch this on the big screen you can see that last bird fly by me on the left and than make a crazy eight circling all the way arround and drop straight down to my level, that I could see but not on the video as i was backing up as he was coming straight down.

With all that happening I an not sure I was attacked or he was just playing follow the leader.

I had about 10 seagulls come after my P4 in Panama City, Fl. I did the quick vertical and started a dogfight with them. I found it interesting. They cut corners more quickly, but the vertical was my ace. They seemed to be everywhere. I was starting to come to my senses. What am I doing? Than they left. Everything seemed quiet.

I have had the drone come back to me with blood all over it and pieces of a sparrow on it. Identified by my biologist sister. Another time it had hummingbird on it. A few times just blood in various amount. I have had gulls flying all around it when on a boat shoot.

It never fails when beach fishing, some tourist kid will walk out with bread or something to feed the gulls. Nightmare when using bait, they grab it midair. My Gannet Sport bait release will let go automatically if taken by a bird midflight. Otherwise by by phantom. No bird to bird contact yet.

That color change might have been what changed his mind. The crows leave mine alone now with the wetsuit on. Where they used to come so close as to scare me, now they keep a safe distance. Didn't realize it was the suit, Blue and black. Hey Coal, what color were you wearing? Fly safe

Sea Gulls? I say they initially mistook it for a potato chip or Doritos. Flying Rats.

Sea Gulls? I say they initially mistook it for a potato chip or Doritos. Flying Rats.
Glad someone said it... FLYING RATS!!!!! They have become a serious nuisance down at the Jersey shore. I have seen them dive bomb all kinds of different things including children and pets. On more than one occasion I’ve seen children and even infants struck by seagulls and come out of it bleeding and crying. There should be a hunting season for these nuisance birds to reduce the numbers!

Reactions: Kirby Johnson

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.