The Official "My P4 Range Is Too Short" Thread - Don't Start New Range Threads!

I'm interested in getting a little more range from my P4.
Last time I was looking - the itelite dbs had the best reviews

I'm wondering what the current best advice is on a booster.

Currently looking at the
Remote Controller Refitting Antenna Kit 2.4G 7DB & 5.8G 10DB Antenna Range Extender for DJI Phantom 4PRO PRO+ (LB51): Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games
or
Eagle Visible 2.4G 16DB High Gain Refitting Directional Antenna Signal Booster Range Extender for DJI Phantom 3 Advanced/Professional Phantom 4: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games

Mainly because they look more portable and being half the cost cannot but help..
I have a Windsurfer already. ta.

Had an epiphany today while flying my P4. I too had been concerned about range. Tried using my friends P3A remote, no difference in the tests I ran. Purchased some parabolic boosters, an improvement. Today, while flying out at my local park, over water, with NOTHING between me and my P4 and when I say nothing, I mean nothing. No trees, no buildings, no power lines, zilch. I was able to fly further than I have ever flown before AND could've kept going if I hadn't forgot to turn off the max range. :rolleyes:
I will not say how far out I was, but I will tell you this, when I reached max, I was still at full signal strength both video and signal. I have no reason to believe that I have any issues with poor range any longer. I think the issue at hand is that the unit is advertised with a specific range, in optimum conditions. So, for anyone that has complaints about the range of the P4, try duplicating the conditions I stated above and see how you do. You might be pleasantly surprised. ;)

Had an epiphany today while flying my P4. I too had been concerned about range. Tried using my friends P3A remote, no difference in the tests I ran. Purchased some parabolic boosters, an improvement. Today, while flying out at my local park, over water, with NOTHING between me and my P4 and when I say nothing, I mean nothing. No trees, no buildings, no power lines, zilch. I was able to fly further than I have ever flown before AND could've kept going if I hadn't forgot to turn off the max range. :rolleyes:
I will not say how far out I was, but I will tell you this, when I reached max, I was still at full signal strength both video and signal. I have no reason to believe that I have any issues with poor range any longer. I think the issue at hand is that the unit is advertised with a specific range, in optimum conditions. So, for anyone that has complaints about the range of the P4, try duplicating the conditions I stated above and see how you do. You might be pleasantly surprised. ;)

How much of an improvement did you get with the parabolic reflectors?

copper parabolic and antenna mod from argtek and my p4 reached out past 10,500 yesterday. had only lost one bar before i reeled her back in. thank God for homelock! lol. before with stock 4,000 ft was tops

I apologize if this is inappropriate here. I just got 4P4. Is DJI Go available for Windows OS?

People with the GL658A remote paired with the P4, how is the video transmission? I find that mine is pixelated compared to the P4 remote controller. Is that your experience as well?
Your experience is uncommon. Double check all your settings. Make sure hardware decoding is enabled. It helps to install the 32ch hack and fly ch30, 31, or 32. Always fly custom channel and set transmission quality to 4mbps to optimize range. Use a Windsurfer. You should get between 2 to 3 miles with GL658A, with clear LOS.

Contrary to the FCC filing, when linked to a P4 craft, the GL658A has about 50% more transmit power (control signal) than GL300C, when measured with an RF signal strength meter, and about 20% more than GL300A.

copper parabolic and antenna mod from argtek and my p4 reached out past 10,500 yesterday. had only lost one bar before i reeled her back in. thank God for homelock! lol. before with stock 4,000 ft was tops
Did you use the copper parabolics with the Argtek omni antennas and if so what parabolics did you use that fitted them as my argtek omnis are bigger and longer than the stock P4 antennas that most parabolics are made for.

No problems with my P4 but really starting to get tired of constant, non-stop, endless, whining threads about range and how "it's getting sent
Let's keep all of the above mentioned items in this thread to allow others enjoy a variety of threads without scrolling through numerous threads about the same thing.

/flamesuiton

Admin Edit: I changed the title to something more appropriate and stickied it. ;)
No problems with my P4 but really starting to get tired of constant, non-stop, endless, whining threads about range and how "it's getting sent back".

Let's keep all of the above mentioned items in this thread to allow others enjoy a variety of threads without scrolling through numerous threads about the same thing.

/flamesuiton

Admin Edit: I changed the title to something more appropriate and stickied it. ;)

Here is a AirShou screen capture of a 5000m flight. It has been edited for time. Note that when the Phantom reaches over 5000m the RTH point is well behind the the battery's remain capacity. This required returning in Sport mode. The craft did make it back but did not catch up to the RTH point until about 500m from the HP.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
does sport mode use less battery?

I was flying my P4 in Rhyolite Ghost Town NV yesterday. Got great pics, video, and plenty of range, altitude etc.. Next stop was Trona Pinnicals outside Trona CA. probably about 3 hrs after flying in Rhyolite. The P4 wouldn't go above 100ft in alt or 168ft in distance (same parameters your locked into if your not signed into DJIGO). I used same DJIGO app on the same device. Didn't see any restricted airspace on AIRMAP. Thought it was kinda strange.

There's no attitude. When people have a legit issue I'll be more than glad to help but when there's 10 threads on the first page about "I'm returning my p4 because it sucks - only got 26 minutes flight out of advertised 28. DJI IS HORRIBLE :'(" then it gets old, quick.

New owners are coming here and are seeing nothing but negativity and the entire forum just gets filled with it because it's nearly impossible to find any other threads in between all of the complaining.

This thread was created and stickied to please the people that want to complain and also to localize all the complaints about the same issue into the same thread instead of having 100s of threads discussing the same exact "problem".

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Does anyone know if there is anything being done, except restrictions on P4's to have the distance restrictions is restricting me in my photography so much, in many cases I can't even use it. this last upgrade was not user friendly and for users that really use their drones not for playing it's restricting to the point I will not recommend DJI to anyone. what ways are around this, those that brake the rules should be punished and grounded.

Thank you
Ice :)

I only get 7km with my P4 with stock antenna setup, how can I improve this?
I use tozo copper parabolics on stock antenna and more than doubled my range. Remember the high u go the further u can go cause your signal is getting there instead of being blocked by trees or buildings. I bought a Titan conquer antenna and
I reached 13,500 one way yesterday. That's 27,000 feet round trip and was only limited by my battery. It could go further but
I'm not gonna push the battery issue.

Reactions: loonie01
I think 7km is roughly 23,000 feet one way, I'm pretty happy with that on stock radio gear but was wondering if we can go further without spending money on mimo gear. So you reckon the windsurfers work?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic