The Official Member Location Thread

Has anyone tried flying in those temperatures with other quads?
It's possible, but the batteries have to be kept warm before insertion, and then warmed up further inside the aircraft while the motors are armed before lift off, and won't last very long during flight, due to the cold. Should be spectacular video while it lasts, though!

Hmm, I see manual says 32 is the lowest operating temperature but then I also see people videoing during winter with snow conditions. I'm going to assume they pre-warm like you explained above.

Updated: 04/16/2016.

Hmm, I see manual says 32 is the lowest operating temperature but then I also see people videoing during winter with snow conditions. I'm going to assume they pre-warm like you explained above.

Updated: 04/16/2016.
Yeah, when you have lemons, you learn to make lemonade! They also don't worry too much if the flight only lasts 5 minutes instead of the advertised 23 or 28 minutes, due to the battery capacity being severely reduced by the cold.

This is a little off topic, but...

Somebody who seemed to know what he was talking about posted here once that the ideal operating temp for a LiPo was 30-35 C. That's the temperature of the battery, not the temperature of the air.

gsweig Glenn P3S Chatham, GA

Last edited:
Sandman259, Tony, P3A, Gresham, Or....

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Desertair Mitch
Arizona time zone
Phantom 3 advanced
Tucson Arizona

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

maseman88, Kevin, P4, Tucson AZ

Members online

Forum statistics