The Lightning - It won hands down

PhantomWetSuits

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
We were getting ready to confront the storm with the new Neon Navy Phantom Rain Wet Suit when this happend , hard and mean. Were still hiding under the bed.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I knew it was coming and it still scared the crap out of me.

Yeh that's cool,,sounded above ya house ,I bet that give the phantom firmware a fright too ;)careful it might have re wrote the firmware

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
This ended up being more of an electrical storm as the electric kept going on and off , repeatedly, car alarms, dogs barking and me running to turn all the computers and TV off to save them.
The cameraman is a bit jumpy..lol

I shoot a PPQ SC at the range about twice a week and I thought I was immune to loud bangs, but i was wrong.

Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 11.34.28 AM.png

Reactions: Chopstix Kid
Know why lightening never strikes the same place twice? 9 times out of 10, whatever it struck the first time is no longer there to be struck again. If it is (ie.a tree) it's definitely messed up !

Simply turning electronics off won't save anything. You either need the proper protection, or unplug them.

This ended up being more of an electrical storm as the electric kept going on and off , repeatedly, car alarms, dogs barking and me running to turn all the computers and TV off to save them.

I shoot a PPQ SC at the range about twice a week and I thought I was immune to loud bangs, but i was wrong.

View attachment 100822

Reactions: davedogcaddy
Simply turning electronics off won't save anything. You either need the proper protection, or unplug them.

I do rely on the Surge protectors however , when the electrical storm came thru by the time I had shut the computers back down before I could even get them to shut down, the electric went out over and over again.
Like 20 times, and the end result we lost a 30 Inch Apple Cinema Display from it. My only prayer would have been pulling the plug. Thank you.

I've always found that a UPS, an Uninterruptible Power Supply works very well. Never had a computer damaged due to power outage or surges in over 20 years. Before that I used fairly expensive surge traps.

Bud

I do rely on the Surge protectors however , when the electrical storm came thru by the time I had shut the computers back down before I could even get them to shut down, the electric went out over and over again.
Like 20 times, and the end result we lost a 30 Inch Apple Cinema Display from it. My only prayer would have been pulling the plug. Thank you.

I've always found that a UPS, an Uninterruptible Power Supply works very well. Never had a computer damaged due to power outage or surges in over 20 years. Before that I used fairly expensive surge traps.

Bud

That is something I did not consider, so I would have power even if I had no power in the house. Nice call. thanks

Thank you, the UPS I usually buy is the "CyberPower" and this one has been running for 17 months now, non-stop without issue. I think I paid around $79. at Costco here in Ontario, Canada. If my old memory serves me right, I believe the power has been off due to thunder storms about three times during that period, and has lasted quite a few minutes, (perhaps ten or fifteen) before shutting down.

When the power fails I simply power down my iMac as usual and leave it until the storm is over.

It's a great way to handle power outages and it's worry free and maintenance free.

Good luck.

Bud

That is something I did not consider, so I would have power even if I had no power in the house. Nice call. thanks

Thank you, the UPS I usually buy is the "CyberPower" and this one has been running for 17 months now, non-stop without issue. I think I paid around $79. at Costco here in Ontario, Canada. If my old memory serves me right, I believe the power has been off due to thunder storms about three times during that period, and has lasted quite a few minutes, (perhaps ten or fifteen) before shutting down.

When the power fails I simply power down my iMac as usual and leave it until the storm is over.

It's a great way to handle power outages and it's worry free and maintenance free.

Good luck.

Bud

Fantastic, it just gets better that is exactly what I was going to ask, so we do have a Costco, , thanks again for the confidence to make the purchase.

Excellent, and one last thing in case you didn't know this. When your computer is plugged into the UPS, it is running off the UPS battery that is constantly being charged by the 110V house current. So the computer isn't even on the grid actually and that's why it's such a safe way to protect your computer.

The larger the UPS rating, the more peripherals you can run off of it. I hope that helps, and good luck.

Bud

Fantastic, it just gets better that is exactly what I was going to ask, so we do have a Costco, , thanks again for the confidence to make the purchase.

Last edited:
Excellent, and one last thing in case you didn't know this. When your computer is plugged into the UPS, it is running off the UPS battery that is constantly being charged by the 110V house current. So the computer isn't even on the gris actually and that's why it's such a safe way to protect your computer.

The larger the UPS rating, the more peripherals you can run off of it. I hope that helps, and good luck.

Bud

Update: So we just had another nasty electrical storm and the CyberPower 1500 saved the day.
As soon as the power went out , I had time to go to all the computers and shut them down nicely.

Thank you for the Head Ups on that: BIG THANK YOU>

Than we flew the Drone into the blackness that night and Captured a few of these beauties.
One strike , two frames from the video. .
strorm 4.png storm 5.png

You're quite welcome, and thank you, I appreciate you letting us know, and I'm glad my post was of some help to you.

Bud

Update: So we just had another nasty electrical storm and the CyberPower 1500 saved the day.
As soon as the power went out , I had time to go to all the computers and shut them down nicely.

Than we flew the Drone into the blackness that night and Captured a few of these beauties.
View attachment 102505 View attachment 102506

Just curious, but since the power went out suddenly like that, you must have had a battery already charged for your drone, right? Are you by chance leaving your drone batteries charged and ready to go at a moments notice?

Bud

View attachment 102505 View attachment 102506

Just curious, but since the power went out suddenly like that, you must have had a battery already charged for your drone, right? Are you by chance leaving your drone batteries charged and ready to go at a moments notice?

Bud

I can help with that: I had this system in place for two years now and no battery problems at all. We just leave the 3 battery charging at all times and the Plus Controller , and were always ready to go.

I took these for you, so you can see the setup.
This handles the 3 Batteries, and the Pro Plus controller and the USB for the Bar Lights for Night flying.

Least i can do for you, thank you.

Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 3.41.08 PM.png
P1010637.JPG

Reactions: Matchlock
That's an interesting setup. I glad that it's working well for you and if you haven't had any troubles in over two years you've done well. Good for you, and I wish you well in all your future Drone adventures.

Bud

I can help with that: I had this system in place for two years now and no battery problems at all. We just leave the 3 battery charging at all times and the Plus Controller , and were always ready to go.

I took these for you, so you can see the setup.
This handles the 3 Batteries, and the Pro Plus controller and the USB for the Bar Lights for Night flying.

Least i can do for you, thank you.

View attachment 102512 View attachment 102513

Practically whites out everything in the video. Crazy!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers