the dreaded angular camera

Reaction score
Team,

just sent my drone away for repair for a gimbal overload issue - and I just want to say the repair process was pretty good. (in Australia - fixed in Melbourne)

However , on the drone return the camera does not point straight ahead - a bit off to the right and quite noticeable.

any easy fixes for this annoyance..

I will point out that the drone needs a firmware update , apparently , which according to the invoice was part of the repair process (which I will be discussing). Might be a new one in the last 3 weeks though ?

anyway - the camera angle - fixes for this?

thanks in advance

Calibrated it ....position did not change
Id be interestef to know from others ....when the drone is powered down does the gimbal arm stay xentral or does the weight of yhe camera move it to yhe left or right.
It is like the mechanism within the drone is slightly off direction.

When powered down they all obviously move towards one side because it's not resisting the gravity of the mechanism.

In terms of when it's powered on, have you tried a manual roll adjustment? I can post directions to the setting if you like.

If you do a google search for "phantom 4 pro camera pointing left". You find instructions for correcting this for both left and right pointing cameras. Involves manually turning camera to right or left and running a gimbal calibration with the camera pointing up (aircraft standing on tail end). You will find instructions from a DJI moderator that worked for me as a result of the google search.

Reactions: Goof
Also I heard that doing the IMU calibration helps a lot too so might be worth doing that. Helped me a lot on my gimble problem

Reactions: Richard Walker
If you do a google search for "phantom 4 pro camera pointing left". You find instructions for correcting this for both left and right pointing cameras. Involves manually turning camera to right or left and running a gimbal calibration with the camera pointing up (aircraft standing on tail end). You will find instructions from a DJI moderator that worked for me as a result of the google search.

found it and this seems to have worked. certainly a way of getting past it. The camera did make an additional movement during this which it doesn't seem to do normally.

if I had to do it before each flight that might get pesky - see how we go.

a lot of people have been asking for an adjust feature - like the camera roll. I think it wise and would certainly help DJI out

Reactions: Pharm
found it and this seems to have worked. certainly a way of getting past it. The camera did make an additional movement during this which it doesn't seem to do normally.

if I had to do it before each flight that might get pesky - see how we go.

a lot of people have been asking for an adjust feature - like the camera roll. I think it wise and would certainly help DJI out

You can control camera roll. They're in the gimbal settings.
367437fce9753264f3fa3aaf2b5f9503.jpg

fd4c173615e2d800b20eb4395e23512b.jpg

Works well for fine tuning as well. [emoji3]

If the camera is pointing left or right when powered up, turn off the drone, and manually push the gimbal arm in the opposite direction until it stops, then slightly push more. Power up the drone and see if the camera is pointing straight ahead. You may need to do this a few times to get it right.

The black rubber grommet shifts in shipping sometimes, thus the camera isn't pointing forward.

If the camera is pointing left or right when powered up, turn off the drone, and manually push the gimbal arm in the opposite direction until it stops, then slightly push more. Power up the drone and see if the camera is pointing straight ahead. You may need to do this a few times to get it right.

The black rubber grommet shifts in shipping sometimes, thus the camera isn't pointing forward.

Do this with very little pressure.... There are only two small screws holding the mechanical stop to the top of the yaw motor, which are easy to damage doing this...

Best to gently run a screwdriver around the inside of the black dust cover first, if you suspect it's binding up...

Do this with very little pressure.... There are only two small screws holding the mechanical stop to the top of the yaw motor, which are easy to damage doing this...

Best to gently run a screwdriver around the inside of the black dust cover first, if you suspect it's binding up...

Definitely do not take a screwdriver to the rubber grommet. The method I mentioned was first described by DJI support on the DJI forums.

Definitely do not take a screwdriver to the rubber grommet. The method I mentioned was first described by DJI support on the DJI forums.

It takes a literal touch with a small screwdriver to poke that cover out flat again. Unless you go stabbing deep inside the casing, you're not going to hit anything delicate...

If you push against the mechanical stop and the stainless steel beam falls off, the ribbon cable is no longer held in place at the top. If it then pulls the cable out of the sensor on top of the yaw motor, you're going to have gimbal errors...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl