The DJI Bad Battery Registry

ianwood

Taco Wrangler
Reaction score
Let's start a registry of bad batteries. Copy the template below for each one of your batteries that is suffering from premature low voltage and auto landing.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have five batteries. The first two I've used for about 50 cycles and both are exhibiting premature voltage sagging resulting in an auto landing. Both batteries appear very much like new with only a barely noticeable puffing. Both hit the 10.7 volt limit at about 50% which is typically 9 minutes into the flight.

This has been a slow and steady decline. They used to make it to 35% before hitting the voltage limit. And before that, I could fly them to 20% most times. Now, they're almost useless. This appears to be the case with many people.

My two bad batteries:

Battery No.: 1
Cycles: 52
Percent life: 83%
Autoland percent: 50%
Autoland time: 9 minutes
Puffing: barely noticeable
Damage: none
Serial No.: unknown
Round/square contacts: round

Battery No.: 2
Cycles: 51
Percent life: 83%
Autoland percent: 50%
Autoland time: 8 minutes
Puffing: none
Serial No.: unknown

I suspect my 3rd battery won't be far behind.

Copy the format above and list your bad batteries here!

Last edited:
Geert said:
There is already a thread for that.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17324

Geert./.

That is a discussion of the issue. This is a registry of bad batteries. Two different functions. People can talk about the problem in the existing thread. I want to consolidate a list of all the known bad batteries.

Add to your registry whether the battery has round copper contacts, or square ones. The round contacts are found on older batteries, while the new ones are square, with a small cross hatched pattern.
Also-include a screen shot of the Naza battery page in your post after you've flown the battery-but before recharging. That way we can see if you have a bad cell, and what percentage the battery is.

ianwood said:
Geert said:
There is already a thread for that.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17324

Geert./.

That is a discussion of the issue. This is a registry of bad batteries. Two different functions. People can talk about the problem in the existing thread. I want to consolidate a list of all the known bad batteries.
I agree we Ian in that we need another thread on this just to create a registry and keep all the discussion and excess noise in the other thread. I have neglected the other thread a bit after starting it, but I did the best I could compiling a list of all the people that have had the issue. Keep in mind a lot of these people have probably had their battery replaced or there issue is even worse now with more discharges. Overall the list is 45 people, but i am sure there is way more!!

Attachments

• Battery issue.jpg
    Battery issue.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 2,829
I just ordered a third battery so I'm worried about this. My first two bought in May (one came with the quad) are both doing fine after many flights.
Are there serial numbers on them to be able to pinpoint a batch of bad batteries?

Fyod said:
I just ordered a third battery so I'm worried about this. My first two bought in May (one came with the quad) are both doing fine after many flights.
Are there serial numbers on them to be able to pinpoint a batch of bad batteries?
Excellent question Fyod: "Is it lot-specific?"

I think the data collection that has been started here is great, but I want to know the failure mechanism in this case and the risk of it applying to all of the DJI Lipo batteries.

Shartiza, I totally forgot you were making a list! Sorry for hijacking it. I think getting the additional information about number of cycles will be helpful and maybe even the serial number too so we can see if it relates to sequence of bad batteries.

For the rest of you, if you're not already on shartiza's list, submit your bad batteries here using the template below:

Battery No.:
Cycles:
Percent life:
Autoland percent:
Autoland time:
Puffing:
Damage:
Serial no:
Round/square contacts:

ianwood said:
Shartiza, I totally forgot you were making a list! Sorry for hijacking it. I think getting the additional information about number of cycles will be helpful and maybe even the serial number too so we can see if it relates to sequence of bad batteries.

For the rest of you, if you're not already on shartiza's list, submit your bad batteries here using the template below:

Battery No.:
Cycles:
Percent life:
Autoland percent:
Autoland time:
Puffing:
Damage:
Serial no:
Round/square contacts:
No problem, hijack away. This is good so people can just register their bad battery stats here and keep it simple with little discussion. I am glad you want to get more involved since you did so well with the "Drunken Sparrow" project. Looks like that fishing trip got cut short. ;)

Hi Ian

welcome back ;-) I think it would also be interest to understand what chargers people are using I know everyone will say Standard DJI ( for warranty) but is it something to do with charging 3 at a time, or maybe the 12v charger ?

I think the serial number is great also maybe there is an age / batch problem here

Also maybe helpful to understand how these are stored % charged and used weekly or monthly ?

Simon

So... who is actually going list their batteries here? C'mon folks! I know you've got 'em! Throw the bad battery in, open up the assistant and write the details down here. Let's start building this registry.

Listing 2 of my 4 batteries here. Third one is puffing but still usable,12 cycles. 4th battery no puffing 8 cycles.

Cycles: 37
Percent life: 88%
Autoland percent: 47%
Autoland time:approx. 10 minutes
Puffing: yes
Serial No.: 10903

Cycles: 39
Percent life: 87%
Autoland percent: 46%
Autoland time:approx. 10 minutes
Puffing: yes
Serial No.: 9669

knuckles said:
Do we have a chance on getting any worthwhile response from dji or resellers seeing it is a documented widespread issue

I have two batteries I am having autoland issues with, I spoke to B&H Photo and they told me it's on warranty I can speak to DJI. I just spoke to DJI and they said my warranty is up: the end. :shock:

So can we expect anything from them really? Wouldn't it be great if $1500 worth of equipment landed in the sea or damaged someone or property? :roll:

oh wait it's more than $1500

I'll have to go get the phantom and dji assistant in a bit. When you say round contacts, do you mean the two pins? Are you looking at the age of the batteries as well?

Just for comparison reasons - mine are both round contacts, model 733496 (common for all?)
Serials DJ0700 1404 033 xxxx, DJ0700 1403 292 xxxx. Both autoland at around 15%.

Fyod said:
Just for comparison reasons - mine are both round contacts, model 733496 (common for all?)
Serials DJ0700 1404 033 xxxx, DJ0700 1403 292 xxxx. Both autoland at around 15%.

15% doesn't sound bad, mines go at 60% and 50%. Why are we sticking with DJI again? Does anyone build their own quad? Can you recommend a build?

I have 15% set in Phantom Assistant and tend to come in close to landing within 25-30%.
Also I think we should be listing the voltage to percentage figures, since the problem on most is that 50% may equal 10.7V, whereas my 15% is 10.7V.
10.7V at 50% or approx 7 minutes of flight is of course a useless battery.

It's like herding cats (or Phantoms)! Please use this thread to list your bad batteries using this form:

Battery No.:
Cycles:
Percent life:
Autoland percent:
Autoland time:
Puffing:
Damage:
Serial no:
Round/square contacts:

Include any observations/notes about your batteries. The discussion of this issue is here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17324

One thread for the registry (this one) and one for the discussion. Make sense?

Hope this is right thread to report this?

I was adjusting FC200 settings, P2V on a table (without props), Vision app displayed a battery level >70%. Then suddenly this "invalid battery" screen, it's hard to see but I recall it displayed the battely level about 48%. Turned P2V OFF, waited for half a minute and started again. The assistant displayed valid battery values and app, too.

What would happened if the "invalid battery" sympton had oocurred in the air?

---

Cycles: 14
Percent life: 96%
Autoland percent: N/A
Autoland time: N/A
Puffing: NO
Damage: NO
Serial no: 14331

---

Attachments

• shot_000004.jpg
    shot_000004.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 748
  • Battery_data.jpg
    Battery_data.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 755
  • P2_versions.jpg
    P2_versions.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 768
Slow start. We're going to need a lot more people posting up details of their bad batteries! C'mon people!

These were my original two batteries, since replaced by DJI Los Angeles. They both crapped out within a few days of each other.

Cycles: 16
Percent life: ??
Autoland percent: 46
Autoland time: 5 min
Puffing: Yes
Damage: None
Serial no: 13121814084
Round/square contacts: Round

Cycles: 18
Percent life: ??