The DJI Bad Battery Registry

ianwood said:
Slow start. We're going to need a lot more people posting up details of their bad batteries! C'mon people!

I wonder if the lack of response is apathy or (hopefully) it is not a fundamental problem but just down to some bad batches. I was thinking of upgrading to a P2 and I must admit that the battery issue together with mixed reports over the H3 3D are the two issues holding me back.
But the "flyaway issue" stopped me rushing into getting a P1 and a year later I still have it (and yes I have flown it!) Hope I haven't put a hex on it now! ;)

bill

How about a battery that has 8 charges on it and it only powers up for about 3 seconds. So it won't connect to DJI software to see what is wrong

Just to let everyone know,I am now a victim of the DJI bad battery !
I do long range FPV and now have no confidence with the Phantom 2!
I now only trust my Phantom 1!
I hope DJI wake up and admit it's a bad design!

Battery No.: 1
Cycles: 31
Percent life: 90%
Autoland percent: 65%
Autoland time: 3 min.
Puffing: no
Damage: no
Serial no: DJ070014051342945 or 61470 on the battery screen!
Round/square contacts:Square

Here is mine that has since been replaced by DJI (with a battery with round contact pads).

Cycles: 75
Percent life: 75%
Autoland percent: 55% at its worst
Autoland time: 10 min.
Puffing: Slight after discharge
Serial no: Did not get this
Round/square contacts:Round

Ugh...Looks like I'm the newest victim of this. I'll run another test today but it looks like it's taking place around 50-55%. This makes the battery pretty much unusable to me as I mostly fly over water. This was my 1st battery (I have 4 total). Question for everyone stating that DJI replaced their batteries; How did you go about facilitating this?

TheEngineer said:
Ugh...Looks like I'm the newest victim of this. I'll run another test today but it looks like it's taking place around 50-55%. This makes the battery pretty much unusable to me as I mostly fly over water. This was my 1st battery (I have 4 total). Question for everyone stating that DJI replaced their batteries; How did you go about facilitating this?

Call the DJI HQ that manages your country and tell them what you are experiencing and hopefully they will give you an RMA for a replacement. Also I would say it is the battery you got with the Phantom because i think that will be covered within the 1yr warranty of the craft otherwise if you tell them it is a separate battery you bought they will tell you they only have a 3 month warranty. You may have to fight a little bit, but it never hurts to try. :x

I now have a bad one...

Battery No.: 1 (of 2)
Cycles: 23
Percent life: 93%
Autoland percent: 48%
Autoland time: 9 minutes
Puffing: barely noticeable
Damage: none
Serial No.: 3183
Round/square contacts: round

Reminder for anyone who has a battery that causes early auto-land, please use this thread to supply details on that battery. We're trying to build a long comprehensive list of defective batteries.

I have one to.

bought October 3rd 2014 via adarama
battery: 1 of 1
percent life: 97%
autoland %: 30%
autoland time: ?
puffing: no
serial number: DJ070014061210188
damage: none
round/square contacts: square

here's the detail for mine (which is currently with the dealer for replacement)

Percent life: 93%
Autoland percent: 30/15
Autoland time: 10 minutes
Puffing: Yes, some but noticeable.
Serial no: 14889 (from the P2 Assistant)
Batch no: DJ07001401130431x (from the label on the battery)
Round/square contacts: Round
Charger: DJI Supplied Charger only.
Deep Discharge: 1 (to 8% on 20th recharge, in accordance with DJI recommendations)

let me know if there's any more info I can help with

Both batteries I got in a twin pack appear to be defective and resulted in my phantom crashing needing repair. I purchased them around January of this year or may have been mid Dec and the serial numbers on them are as follows.

DJ070013111506077

DJ070013111506063

The problem

Upon turning the Phantom on even with full charge the phantom vision app would show the power level as being less than half. A power cycle usually fixed the issue.

The crash

Power levels at takeoff 97%. Then within moment it dropped to 37%. Communication issue, invalid battery, complete power loss, drops lock a rock.

DJI repaired my Phantom under warranty as well as replacing all 3 batteries I have the original which I think is okay and the two from the twin pack which I know had issues. I get it back Monday so hopefully it will be in good working order.

Adding to the registry.....this is my second "action" due to DJI's messed up QC and lack of responsiveness (former Drunken Sparrow Project member). I'm moving on. No more DJI for me......anyway, I still want to contribute to the analysis effort.

Percent life: 95%
Autoland percent: 55%
Autoland time: 8 minutes
Puffing: severe
Serial No.: 1056 (from assistant)
Note: This battery was returned to the dealer who replaced it under warranty. The dealer was puzzled when I told them that DJI in LA had said to send it back to the them instead of DJI. I had a new battery in around a week. Evidently DJI is taking much longer even if they decide to honor their warranty (which is 1 year on batteries supplied with the Phantom, but only 3 months when purchased separately).....idiotic IMO. BTW, the replacement battery is OK so far, but it has had only a handful of flights. We shall see......

Battery No.: 2
Cycles: 30
Percent life: 90%
Autoland percent: 45%
Autoland time: 9-10 minutes
Puffing: yes, and getting worse
Serial No.: 9825 (from assistant)
Note: I am preparing to send this one back for a warranty replacement as well.

Here is my addition to the registry. I predict that we are just at the start of this issue, and this is gonna snowball fast, as more and more owners get up around 30 cycles on their batteries.

Cycles: 29
Percent life: 91%
Autoland percent: ~45%
Serial no: 24236 (from the P2 Assistant)
Batch no: DJ070013122527314 (from the label on the battery)
Purchased Feb 2014 with Phantom2.

Cycles: 26
Percent life: 92%
Autoland percent: ~45%
Serial no: 5970 (from the P2 Assistant)
Batch no: DJ070013122021143 (from the label on the battery)
Purchased Feb 2014 with Phantom2.

I have 1 battery that was purchased later (June 2014 - square contacts) which is up to around 12 cycles. This is the only battery that I can currently trust, but it too is showing the early signs of puffing, and I have no doubt it will be useless within 3months or less.

Hello a friend of mine who has a phantom turned me onto to this registry and told me I should post the issue I had with a battery being defective and causing my phantom 2 to autoland in the ocean. Unfortunately I only learned that other people were having issues with auto land issues after my splash down. I sent letter to DJI customer service and they said they were not responsible for water damage to craft even though I explained the water damage was due to a battery failure on their part.. Anyway I'm adding my issue to the registry in the hopes it helps.

Cycles: 15
Percent life: 98%
Autoland percent: 40%
Puffing: didnt notice any
Serial no: n/a (lost drone to the ocean)
Batch no: n/a (lost drone to the ocean)
Round/square contacts: square
Purchased Aug 2014 with Phantom2.

I am now a victim of the Bad battery as well. Been fighting trying to figure this out but this thread told me everything that I needed to hear:

Cycles: 39
Percent life: 87%
Autoland percent:
Autoland time:approx. 1 minute
Puffing: yes
Serial No.: 14842
Round/square contacts: Square

It looks like the registry is finally getting a bit more exposure and improved traction. How can we reach out to more Phantom users and get them to post their findings. Suggestions?

I also have 2 bad batteries I will post them tomorrow. I don't fly with them anymore but I use them to update firmware and calibrate my phantom. Here is something that is interesting though my first battery that went bad I know had like 28 cycles on it the second had 32. I purchased 2 of the nukerc batteries when they came out and it took forever to get them but any way I have over 40 cycles on both of them and haven't had 1 problem yet. Could it be that the nuke rc batteries are made better than the DJI ones?

Cycles: 52
Percent life: 83%
Autoland percent: 46-49%
Autoland time: 5-6 min.
Serial no: DJ070013122526135 or 15623 on the battery screen!

Does the new battery firmware upgrade fix this problem? and how do you turn the vision plus camera off anyway?

Cycles: 48
Percent life: 84%
Autoland percent: 32-34%
Autoland time: 3 min.
Serial no: DJ070013111507104 or 10073 on the battery screen!

I've been visiting this site since I received my first drone - P2 h3-3d from DJI . I feel compelled to register so I can be heard as well. I thought this was an isolated problem until I got my first early RTH 2 weeks ago. After reading here that batteries bought with the P2 have a year warranty - not 3 months - I will revisit a conversation with my vendor. Add me to the list in the meantime.

Insult to injury...

Four days ago I bought LimeFuel X 2 and just found out that I might not be able to use them ( DJI loyalty fading fast ).

I am prepared to spend my fun money elsewhere and I'll bet I'm not the only one here considering this...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic