Thanks to the moron who just flew his drone near LaGuardia airport

Reaction score
Just heared on MSNBC that some clown was flying his quadcopter near LaGuardia airport and caused a commercial jet to rise 200' in order to avoid a collision. Keep it up bonehead and ruin flight privileges for the rest of the drone community! This is just more evidence for the FAA to put restrictions on the rest of us.

Yea and of course they use a photo of a P2V as their example.

The phantom is the poster child for all media .
If they catch him the penalty should be the same as the laser the morons are beming into the cockpits of the plans . They have a moron in NY doing it now . BIG fine & jail time .

I dunno whats funnier. People being stupid with drones or other drone owners butt hurt reactions.

R/C copters/planes have been around for decades and did the FAA ban the living crap out of them? Nope. And you can restrict drone usage to the moon but stupidity will always remain a constant.

It will level out one way or another.

Reactions: Turdle
RC helicopters and planes have been hobby equipment for decades. Today, they are consumer products and there are hundreds of thousands more of them. The FAA isn't banning the living crap out of them (yet), but this idiot at LaGuardia might make it necessary.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I dunno whats funnier. People being stupid with drones or other drone owners butt hurt reactions........
Mostly agree. One big difference today, though, is that when big media decides to push an agenda, they can be quite influential in the ensuing process. **** them all to hell!

Reactions: tcope and Flyboy
I dunno whats funnier. People being stupid with drones or other drone owners butt hurt reactions.

R/C copters/planes have been around for decades and did the FAA ban the living crap out of them? Nope. And you can restrict drone usage to the moon but stupidity will always remain a constant.

Very poor analogy. If they were flown the way these multirotors are it would be no different.

Mostly agree. One big difference today, though, is that when big media decides to push an agenda, they can be quite influential in the ensuing process. **** them all to hell!

What is the agenda?

Anytime you start interfering with public safety and especially passenger aviation you're going to draw attention.

No.

I guess you see what you look for.

There's tons of positive information out there.

No need to feel insecure about this industry. It's not going anywhere.

No.

I agree. The only agenda I see (regarding drones) is to sell papers, clicks, etc. I can't think of a plausible reason the media would want drones to be banned.

I think at one time it took some "skill" to fly an RC aircraft. Planes and Helicopters were not easy to fly so the only true enthusiasts were flying. Quadcopter's are so easy to fly it appeals to the masses. With the masses comes more morons. Then you toss in the media and you have huge issues!

Reactions: N017RW
No.

I guess you ignore what you don't want to see? I don't "look" for anything. I observe what I'm seeing and hearing and come to a conclusion. Pretty simple. Most of them seem to insinuate that it's a far bigger problem than it is. In my opinion.

Reactions: JKDSensei
I guess you ignore what you don't want to see? I don't "look" for anything. I observe what I'm seeing and hearing and come to a conclusion. Pretty simple. Most of them seem to insinuate that it's a far bigger problem than it is. In my opinion.

Can you point to a specific item in the referenced report to support this?

Tom cited Collision or Ingestion is a big concern (problem).

It would likely bankrupt any individual found responsible.

No.

Not sure you have looked around cities and counties throughout the US are flat out banning drone flight. Many are making illegal laws in order to do so. You should read the claims of some of the people who make these laws. They don't even make sense. Where do they get these thoughts from? The news. Heck, a few months ago Fox had someone on that claimed a drone killed someone. It was a RC helicopter.

Reactions: JKDSensei
Poor example for this guy... my city has approved their used from city parks and land.

There's no difference in any type of r/c aircraft. Drone, multi, heli, whatever. They're all dangerous because you have spinning blades, no absolute control, redundancy, or means of safeguarding non-participants safety.

If you continue to blame the media or get wrapped up in semantics you'll miss the bus.

Why not criticize those who are doing these things rather than those telling you about it?

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Last edited:

I don't find anyone's reactions funny. People flying stupid and receiving public attention for their antics is not funny, and the bad publicity does have the potential to impact how and where I can fly tomorrow - I don't find that humorous either.

I read the other day that there have been more drones sold in the past year than all the RC planes sold in the past decade.
But apples and oranges. You can't fly an RC plane or especially a helicopter out of the box, both require a level of skill that is not required with hobby drones. And pilots of fixed wing RCs don't seem to have the innate attraction to fly near airports that we drone pilots exhibit.

Reactions: Clipper707
My guess is most of the whiners have never owned or flown any r/c model before. As GnN said it takes skill and dedication.
This is why they find it so alarming that they can't fly wherever they want.

You never could fly anywhere you wanted; its just now many uninformed, uninitiated, unskilled, discourteous, people with $1200 feel they are entitled to place this object above the heads of unsuspecting and non-consenting people and their property.

My guess is most of the whiners have never owned or flown any r/c model before. As GnN said it takes skill and dedication.
This is why they find it so alarming that they can't fly wherever they want.

You never could fly anywhere you wanted; its just now many uninformed, uninitiated, unskilled, discourteous, people with $1200 feel they are entitled to place this object above the heads of unsuspecting and non-consenting people and their property.

+1

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic