TFR's and LEO

Reaction score
When a TFR is established, who has the right to fly in them and how does one go about getting permission.

Im watching some of the news clips from the train wreck in Washington and watching what appear to be LEO operating UAS, two at the same time in one clip. There is a TFR over the wreck. I'm just curious, is LEO exempt from TFR's?

Im watching some of the news clips from the train wreck in Washington and watching what appear to be LEO operating UAS, two at the same time in one clip. There is a TFR over the wreck. I'm just curious, is LEO exempt from TFR's?
A TFR placed over a disaster site is to allow official investigation and relief work to carry on without interference from outside parties wanting to fly around the area.
The people you are asking about are the reason the TFR was put in place.

So to answer my question, LEO are exempt from TRF’s.

True?

What about fire response? Medics? News copter?

Edit. This is for Meta4, I should have quoted the post. Sorry.

No one is exempt from a TFR - you get permission from the agency that requested the TFR.
If so, (I’m not disagreeing with you on any level), did LEO have to contact the FAA for clearance? Along with the news copter.

Assuming you have TFR exemption, yes. Its an FAA issue, therefore with proper clearance, you can fly.

There are a half-dozen + types of TFRs. A common sentiment is to separate non-participating aircraft from participants.
Don’t assume that no aircraft are allowed to operate within a TFR.

Reactions: BigAl07

True?

What about fire response? Medics? News copter?

Edit. This is for Meta4, I should have quoted the post. Sorry.

There is not an "Exemption" from a TFR. You get permission from the Agency who requested the TFR directly. If your agency requested the TFR (or if you're flying in direct support of that agency) then your agency has the permission to fly in it. If it's not your agency then you contact that agency and request what they require to give you permission to fly.

A TFR is for any aircraft from UAS up to military but it usually has a top elevation (such as 12,000AGL) as to cause the least amount of disruption for Passenger aircraft (notice I did not say Commercial aviation).

Thanks Al for the clear answer.

It was really awesome seeing LEO flying UAS during a catastrophic event. Something I don’t think I’ve seen before. They were not DJI products however.

There is not an "Exemption" from a TFR. You get permission from the Agency who requested the TFR directly. If your agency requested the TFR (or if you're flying in direct support of that agency) then your agency has the permission to fly in it. If it's not your agency then you contact that agency and request what they require to give you permission to fly.

A TFR is for any aircraft from UAS up to military but it usually has a top elevation (such as 12,000AGL) as to cause the least amount of disruption for Passenger aircraft (notice I did not say Commercial aviation).

And just to clarify - even if it is the controlling agency flying in their own TFR, notification has to be made so that the local ATC administering the TFR is aware of the flights.

And just to clarify - even if it is the controlling agency flying in their own TFR, notification has to be made so that the local ATC administering the TFR is aware of the flights.

Yes absolutely otherwise some people are going to be VERY upset. That's the kind of attention you don't want. I can assure you that once the TFR goes up and someone sees your UAS flying around phone calls are going to be made . . .

Yes absolutely otherwise some people are going to be VERY upset. That's the kind of attention you don't want. I can assure you that once the TFR goes up and someone sees your UAS flying around phone calls are going to be made . . .

Right. For regular aircraft it's a matter of what shows up on ATC radar. That's not an issue for UAVs, at least not for small ones, but they still need to know.

Right. For regular aircraft it's a matter of what shows up on ATC radar. That's not an issue for UAVs, at least not for small ones, but they still need to know.
I'll bet that 99 out of 100 officers have zero clue what. Tfr is and even less of an interest in knowing.

I'll bet that 99 out of 100 officers have zero clue what. Tfr is and even less of an interest in knowing.

Probably correct, and unless they are flying UAVs that's not a problem. But the LE UAV pilots that I work with know what they are, which is what matters.

If it's a scene big enough to have a TFR then I'd bet a good # of the people on scene know what a TFR is and why it's in place. Keep in mind we aren't talking about the average traffic accident or anything like that. If a TFR has been established the poop has hit the fan and you have multiple agencies on scene and it's a pretty big deal.

If it's a scene big enough to have a TFR then I'd bet a good # of the people on scene know what a TFR is and why it's in place. Keep in mind we aren't talking about the average traffic accident or anything like that. If a TFR has been established the poop has hit the fan and you have multiple agencies on scene and it's a pretty big deal.

Al your exactly right.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl