Telementry...

Reaction score
How do people on YouTube get telementry on their videos?
I have an iosd mini. And p2 non vision
Also I'm thinking about buying flytrex core 2, how would you do it with this also.

Is it possible to replace iosd and use flytrex on your fpv screen?

I know you can get live data on your phone or tablet With live 3g, just wondering if you can get it on one screen

Turbazz said:
How do people on YouTube get telementry on their videos?

Depends what you mean. Three possibilities I can think of

1. Requires IOSD/mini and an FPV setup with a DVR which records what you see on the FPV display. You then use some Picture In Picture (PIP) video editing software to embed the recording within the recording made by the GoPro/FPV camera.

2. Requires Flytrex Core or Flytrex Live to capture the metrics. Use Dashcam to embed gauges and instruments in your video.

3. Requires Flytrex Core or Flytrex Live to capture the metrics. Use DashCamViewer to display flight path on Google Map with Video and other metrics. The snag is that this is a player and to make a video you need to record what is being played on your PC. Microsoft Encoder 4 Screen Capture does this - and I think it is free.

(Really pedantic point - technically using Flytrex Core is not "telemetry" because no transmission of the captured data is done, it is just logging.)

:D
Here's a nice tutorial that should help.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3016

Flytrex live is automatically updated on your account, where you have to remove the sd card from the Core 2 manually.
You still have to get the data from your account (csv file) to make your overlay with Dashware or equal.

Thanks for the replies guys! So it seems like you need to use software to overly your data on the video..

It's a shame it's not simpler. There's nothing you can do with the iosd mini? I'm sure I have seen a setting which allows the data to be recorded in your video? I don't know if it's in the go pro settings or the assistant software? Or I'm just muddled up :D

:D
Yes, I'm sure you could figure a way to screen record the FPV, maybe a DVR would work.

The FPV quality is disappointing compared to your actual "footage".

Here is another great example of why spending the time to overlay is rewarding (not mine) :lol:

http://youtu.be/lnnhNwjXVnk

I was able to do a picture in picture using nothing buy my iphone. I use the FPV Booster app and I did a screen record of my flight tracker using the Shou app. I then used the imovie app and layed one on top of the other. Its not the greatest looking that I have seen but for spending zero money it works for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WUe86kqja8

Mcook929 said:
I was able to do a picture in picture using nothing buy my iphone. I use the FPV Booster app and I did a screen record of my flight tracker using the Shou app. I then used the imovie app and layed one on top of the other. Its not the greatest looking that I have seen but for spending zero money it works for me.

Does the flight tracker lag that far behind, or is it just a case of the sync being out ?

I use Flytex Core to record telemetry, RMRC DVR to record FPV video, and RaceRender to put it all together (I'm using a Mac):

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnA_0QwfT40[/youtube]

I nice side benefit of having a DVR is that they allow you to record ambient sounds.

I use scr screen recorder app for android. It works on newer devices running android 5.0 without root, anything else might have to be a rooted device

[/quote] Does the flight tracker lag that far behind, or is it just a case of the sync being out ?[/quote]

It's just a syncing issue. That screen is actually just the flight tracker. Its more of an archive of the flight. The actual in flight screen is much different.

JFlyer3. :D :D :D

Great video. That was an amazing flight. I like that I can hear you talk thru the video. You should do more videos and tell us about the telemetry as you are flying. The newbies (me) don't need background music, we need advise. Tell us what the battery readings are, tell us your concerns as you fly. I think this would be most welcomed. It made me feel like I was standing next to you as you flew. Thanks Again.

vinny, I don't want to hijack this thread but since you asked I'll give you one more. Here's an annotated and instrumented video that demonstrates what can go wrong if you're flying long-distance FPV and loose your bearings.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vdXE1V9I3A[/youtube]

In hindsight I should have put the Tx in home lock mode but at the time I thought I was heading straight back with the helical antenna pointing in the right direction. I was wrong-- the Phantom was coming in at an angle and it almost cost me.

Mcook929 said:

I use the FVP Booster app and use a method similar to yours and I've been tweaking this technique further using VideoPad Video Editor Free which can be had for free from the Apple App Store.

The following are separate frame shots, stills taken from the same video.

I've cropped the overlain Flight Tracker image to eliminate that actual flight path, and include just the flight info.
b9a902bc-059f-484e-858f-f2721747dfc2_zpsgskbicdw.png

The screen shot of the logged Flight Tracker video, saved to my iPad, and which has been overlain and at approximately the same times, look like this before cropping.
Screen%20Shot%202015-03-02%20at%2010.15.52%20PM_zpstlkpazv1.png

Currently I crop the date as well.

300d1e4d-5c8f-49ba-aa42-0c53d99289fe_zpsaolqsuxf.png

I sync and overlay the cropped Flight Tracker data over the video.

I describe how I did it using the FPV Booster Vision app here:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=35835&p=331296&hilit=.mov#p331296

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj