Tasks needed after replacing all 4 ESCs

Reaction score
I had a fairly major crash (cause unknown) and have been working through diagnosis and recovery tasks. Intermittently, as I'm looking after my wife after an operation, but when time allows.

I'll need to move everything to a new body shell as one arm was badly bent, but I want to get it to the point where everything works and it looks like it would fly before I start moving over. Gimbal and camera are detached at the moment - they LOOK like they survived but we'll get to those later.

Immediately after the crash it would power on then immediately off during the self-check. All four ESC showed signs of bubbling on the mosfets so I replaced them all. It now powers up and stays up.

It does not respond to a CSC (no props attached). Next step is to connect to the Phantom Assistant and recalibrate everything - could that explain why it doesn't CSC ?

A friend suggested I ask on the forum if anything needs to be done after replacing ESCs to zero them ?

As always, very much appreciate any help - thank you.

The master controler will handle the ESC's. But you do need to check those motors. Turn them buy hand and see if any feal like they have a lot more resistance or just feal different kinda out of place. You definitely want to re do IMU Calibration after a major crash. Also re-calibrate the sticks on the RC. Make sure the GPS is plugged in and give her a bench test with no props. I would start and stop the motor to see if they are starting and stoping at the same time. Power up idle and speed up and run for a couple of minutes. Motors should be warm but none hot. Then check compass calibration and GPS lock. If all goes well, change out the shell, then short test flights to test each function till you get a warm fuzzy feeling.Of course this after bench testing and then into a new shell. Good luck. A little time an you be back in the clouds...

Reactions: RhythMick
The master controler will handle the ESC's. But you do need to check those motors. Turn them buy hand and see if any feal like they have a lot more resistance or just feal different kinda out of place. You definitely want to re do IMU Calibration after a major crash. Also re-calibrate the sticks on the RC. Make sure the GPS is plugged in and give her a bench test with no props. I would start and stop the motor to see if they are starting and stoping at the same time. Power up idle and speed up and run for a couple of minutes. Motors should be warm but none hot. Then check compass calibration and GPS lock. If all goes well, change out the shell, then short test flights to test each function till you get a warm fuzzy feeling.Of course this after bench testing and then into a new shell. Good luck. A little time an you be back in the clouds...

Appreciate the response, thanks.

My CSC test - I didn't have the shell lid on, hence no GPS attached. That shouldn't prevent it from starting the motors though right ?

I'll plug in and do full calibrations, including sticks, then try again.

Appreciate the response, thanks.

My CSC test - I didn't have the shell lid on, hence no GPS attached. That shouldn't prevent it from starting the motors though right ?

I'll plug in and do full calibrations, including sticks, then try again.

You definitely have to have the GPS plugged into the main board I order for the quad to start. That will prevent it from starting the motors.

How did you do. Get everything changed out?

Unfortunately nursemaiding and working plus training for a london to Paris cycle ride are taking all my time. Should get to this soon.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31