Taking a P4 on a plane to OZ

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
First post on here. What are the rules for taking a drone on a plane. I don’t want it smashed to bits in the hold like normal luggage where it seems my cases get cracked or damaged by moronic ground staff!

Am I allowed batteries in the hold?
No .. No .. No
The advice above is very wrong.
Go to your airline's website and search for batteries to see their rules.
They will be the same as all other airlines (because they are all based on the same IATA guidelines).
They will say that batteries must be in your carry on luggage in the cabin with you.

No .. No .. No
They will be the same as all other airlines (because they are all based on the same IATA guidelines).
They will say that batteries must be in your carry on luggage in the cabin with you.
That’s not what I was told to do! I had to pack them in my checked luggage.
Alaska Airlines.

No .. No .. No
That makes more sense thank you

I've flown may times. Every airline I have flown wants batteries with you in your carry-on so they can address a battery fire immediately should one ignite during flight. The way I protect my drone is I use a large suitcase which I pack my drone case inside of and place my clothing around it. These days, such a suitcase will likely fall into the "Added weight" category and cost more to check. Or just check a second suitcase if not enough room for all of your clothing. When I travel to a job, it is usually only for a few days and I can pack pretty light.

Here are Alaska Airlines battery rules. Scroll down to the section on drones.

Last edited:
Into the carry-on luggage logical and correct.
I would take the drone with me as well because I won't be happy whit how the staff usually handles the luggage.
But of course, if the other personal things you are going to take with you into the cabin allow that.
If not then follow the advice MapMaker53 gave to you. And don't forget to properly fix the gimbal.

Reactions: KachemakDiver
I normally pack the drone in it's foam case box, put that box inside a suitcase and hope for the best. You can take the drone into the cabin, of course, but if it's a Phantom, it won't leave you much room for anything else.

Oh, and enjoy your time in Australia.

Reactions: rogerramjet365
If you value your drone, buy a hard case to transport your drone so it doesn't get damaged; or destroyed. As a former Delta employee, batteries are not allowed in the cargo hold; period. Only in the cabin. You don't want to go through the hassle with TSA with batteries in checked luggage. Also, get LiPo battery protective packets to place your batteries in. Safe flying!

Reactions: KachemakDiver

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31