Take off in ATT; then record HOME LOCATION above buildings?

Reaction score
Can you do that? Start off in between buildings with bad GPS; take off in ATTI; rise above buildings line and then, as it gets GPS reception good, record the home location? Subsequently; what will happen if the home location is recorded in mid air and you do failsafe landing?

Re: Take off in ATT; then record HOME LOCATION above buildin

Well, I see many videos of people starting off from a jungle of buildings and trees. How do they do that if one basically can't?

In a low GPS location you would fly in ATTI or manual mode and not rely on GPS at all, if you can only fly via GPS and use HL or RTH to bring it back then avoid flying in places where GPS reception is poor.

What I mean is,

-You want to take of from the city so to...
-Shoot high above.

GPS is low in the city on taking off; but high above there would be good reception.

So, you want to use GPS for RTH (at least so that it returns to ABOVE you).

So, you take in ATTI and then when higher, it will certainly get only green - more than 6 sats. Can you then record HOME and return to this point?

Does home point include altitude or only location?

Good question and I know from experience that the phantom can record its home location from flying in the air.

I was flying in a park with a few trees around and it was giving me the 3 red LEDs. I took off in atti and then after a few seconds it got full gps lock on and recorded the home location (with the 20 quick green flashes). While flying.

The naza has this designed in as it states in the manual you can record an alternative home location by toggling from CL to HL 3 to 5 times I think. I have also done this with the phantom flying and it works (sometime I may add!!).

I'm sure it will not record the flying altitude as its landed altitude. That would be a serious design flaw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I imagine that theoretically it's possible.
not sure what would happen when the Phantom tries to land itself if the starting point is above ground.
perhaps it will just continue to descend until it senses that it's no longer descending.

I guess also theoretically you could take control back from RTH once it's appeared overhead, but it does seem kind of sketchy to risk.

is GPS signal that bad in such surroundings? I know that cars seem to do ok in city streets with GPS.

True, but cars don'g need six satellites or more, they go by with three at least.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl