Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

Why do I need a cell network radio to get gps radio?

Exactly my point. The GPS isn't in the "cell network"...the GPS is physically within the tablet, itself. GPS (on its own) is far more accurate than cell network data (on its own). It's true that a more accurate positioning can be done when combining the two, but individually, GPS produces the more accurate result.

Exactly my point. The GPS isn't in the "cell network"...the GPS is physically within the tablet, itself. GPS (on its own) is far more accurate than cell network data (on its own). It's true that a more accurate positioning can be done when combining the two, but individually, GPS produces the more accurate result.

lol you really don't get it. the Wifi only iPads don't have GPS abilities of any kind. The Cellular version of the iPad has built in GPS but it has NO connection to the cellular connection.

How are there 2 RTHs? As I mentioned, until my "blind" flight using the iPad, I had previously used Android tablets, and, at least with Android, there is only one RTH. It doesn't matter if you press the RTH button on the controller, or tablet, it acts/functions exactly the same.

If you can show me, in the manual, when it states anything about two different RTHs, as you've stated above, then I'd believe.

Screenshot_2015-08-23-10-31-41.png
Screenshot_2015-08-23-10-31-44 (1).png

Screenshot_2015-08-23-10-31-48 (1).png

Pics included. I'll annotate them with my S-Pen if this isn't clear enough.

Unfortunately you will not be able to mount this tablet to your Phantom 3 Standard as they failed to ensure the proper testing was complied with. There is no tablet mount avail on the market for the Phantom 3 standard.

I'll annotate them with my S-Pen if this isn't clear enough.

Since I flew blind on my first flight using the iPad Mini 2, I never saw these screens. Again, remember that ALL previous flights were done using Android devices, and this isn't an option in the Android version of DJI Go. Now that I've solved the no-connectivity problem, I'll look for it in my next flight. Better yet, I'll make two flights...one "as-is" (ie. no data connectivity), and a second tethering the iPad Mini 2 to my cell phone via Bluetooth. If that doesn't work, I can always try two more flights (I've got 4 batteries...so far), one tethering via Wi-Fi; the second using Wi-Fi on the iPad, & Wi-Fi Hotspot on the phone. If all four fail, maybe I'll just return the iPad Mini 2, and go back to only using Android tablets.

Since I flew blind on my first flight using the iPad Mini 2, I never saw these screens. Again, remember that ALL previous flights were done using Android devices, and this isn't an option in the Android version of DJI Go. Now that I've solved the no-connectivity problem, I'll look for it in my next flight. Better yet, I'll make two flights...one "as-is" (ie. no data connectivity), and a second tethering the iPad Mini 2 to my cell phone via Bluetooth. If that doesn't work, I can always try two more flights (I've got 4 batteries...so far), one tethering via Wi-Fi; the second using Wi-Fi on the iPad, & Wi-Fi Hotspot on the phone. If all four fail, maybe I'll just return the iPad Mini 2, and go back to only using Android tablets.

Those screenshots were from the DJI Go app on my Note 4. The same options are available on the iOS version. I've flown with both.

I have a Nexus9. Great tablet but when I run a pilot app (DJI or litchi) it really heats up. Until today it wasn't a problem but I live in Israel where its very hot in August. The combination of the tablets heat and the surrounding temperature caused litchi to freeze and I had to do a hard reset. DJI worked perfectly.

Those screenshots were from the DJI Go app on my Note 4. The same options are available on the iOS version. I've flown with both.

Actually, not all the same options are available, even within different Android devices. I can't remember exactly which options weren't available, but I do recall two options not showing when I connected my GS6. I can't remember which two, but I can compare again...GS6 vs Nexus 7 LTE...once I've received the N7 back from the Asus repair facility in Texas.

Again, if I decide I'm unhappy with the iPad Mini 2, I'll gladly return it to Best Buy...and as for my P3P, I'd gladly return to Android-only tablet use, as I'm still very much anti-Apple. Just because crApple devices are extremely popular doesn't make them better.

Actually, not all the same options are available, even within different Android devices. I can't remember exactly which options weren't available, but I do recall two options not showing when I connected my GS6. I can't remember which two, but I can compare again...GS6 vs Nexus 7 LTE...once I've received the N7 back from the Asus repair facility in Texas.

Again, if I decide I'm unhappy with the iPad Mini 2, I'll gladly return it to Best Buy...and as for my P3P, I'd gladly return to Android-only tablet use, as I'm still very much anti-Apple. Just because crApple devices are extremely popular doesn't make them better.
I hate apple too but the iPad Air 2 was the best device I've used. The others included the Note 3/4 and Nexus 9.

Those RTH options are guaranteed to be available for any and all versions of the DJI Go/Pilot app for the P3.

I have a Nexus9. Great tablet but when I run a pilot app (DJI or litchi) it really heats up....The combination of the tablets heat and the surrounding temperature caused litchi to freeze...

If you're interested in an Android tablet with the latest hardware, doesn't heat up (as much...as in, it runs relatively cool), and is inexpensive, several in here (including myself) have tried the recently-released Asus ZenPad S 8.0 Z580C ($200). It has a 64-bit CPU, 2GB RAM, & 32 GB storage. There's also a higher-end version (soon-to-be-released in the U.S. & Canada, already available in the rest ox the world) with a slightly faster CPU, 4GB RAM, 64GB storage, slightly higher-res cameras, plus a few additional features (model Z580CA-C for only $100 more, that several people in here have pre-ordered from B&H Photo in New York.

lol you really don't get it. the Wifi only iPads don't have GPS abilities of any kind. The Cellular version of the iPad has built in GPS but it has NO connection to the cellular connection.

I do get it. You said exactly what I said. But my point was.... you must buy an iPad with a cellular radio to get a gps radio. I realize there is no "connection" between the operation of the cellular radio and the gps radio... except in the Apple world. None of my andriod tablets have a cellular radio, yet no matter whether it is one of my cheap andriod tablets, or one of my top of the line tablets, they all have gps radios. Reason 127 why I do not like Apple.

But I did force myself to get over my Apple desdian for buttery smooth fpv :cool:

I do get it. You said exactly what I said. But my point was.... you must buy an iPad with a cellular radio to get a gps radio. I realize there is no "connection" between the operation of the cellular radio and the gps radio... except in the Apple world. None of my andriod tablets have a cellular radio, yet no matter whether it is one of my cheap andriod tablets, or one of my top of the line tablets, they all have gps radios. Reason 127 why I do not like Apple.

But I did force myself to get over my Apple desdian for buttery smooth fpv :cool:

I quoted and directed my response to someone else.

I do get it.

The "You don't get it" comment by REBELimgs was to me. Being new to the use of iPads, I wasn't aware that Wi-Fi only iPads don't have built-in GPS (which, in all honesty, I say is completely idiotic...but that's Apple for you.

@REBELimgs I do have a question for you, or anyone else who can provide an accurate answer. You state that Wi-Fi only iPads don't have built-in GPS, so, if the iPad Mini 2 is connected to the controller, yet, at the same time, it's also connected to the internet (via cell phone tethering or Wi-Fi Hotspot), will the iPad/controller have GPS location? Or will it still be GPS-less? Put another way, in regards to the iPad Mini 2, in order to have GPS, is this only possible by using a data-connected iPad Mini...or can the iPad Mini receive GPS data via the aforementioned tethering/Hotspot?

Through some research, I've been able to answer my own question regarding Apple's Wi-Fi only tablets, their lack of built-in GPS, and whether (or not) GPS data can be attained via Hotspot/tethering to a data connected cell phone. Someone by the name "Aero9K" posted the following within Apple's own support forum. For anyone considering getting an iPad Mini to use as their P3 controller tablet, you will not only find this illuminating, but you should find out providing very strong reasons to NOT consider crApple gadgets. Here is Aero9K's posting:

There's a lot of misinformation floating around in this thread. I'm going to stick to facts.
1. The Apple website clearly states that the Wi-Fi only version does NOT have a built-in (hardware) GPS.
2. I had an unexpected opportunity to test this on my iPad mini w/ Retina Wi-Fi only version while traveling through rural North Carolina this week. I had the hotspot activated on my Android phone and the iPad was successfully passing data in both directions. At no time during my trip, could the iPad determine my location.
2.1. An internet connection is required to load the map imagery when using Google maps on the iPad. This is also the case for the included maps/nav app which is actually some cooperative with TomTom. The included app does seem to cache map data that you have previously downloaded. I'm not sure how long it holds it in cache.
I've recently converted to iPad and assumed the class leader would include a hardware GPS capability. Much to my disappointment, it does not. I need the hardware GPS capability and agree with many here that it should be included in the Wi-Fi version. I don't care that Apple chooses to employ an integrated GPS/Cellular chip.
As a result, you'll find this iPad on eBay before the night is over. I'll be picking up an Android tablet, today, that DOES have an integrated hardware GPS without requiring me to purchase the much more costly cellular hardware to get it.

There's you have it...the truth. Apple's propensity for proprietary hardware has, over the years, caused a number of problems for people. With their decision to create/use a combination cellular/GPS chipset, this eliminates anyone's ability to use any of their Wi-Fi only tablets with the P3s, if you want/need GPS location. This also leaves me, as well as anyone else considering an iPad Mini, in a bit of a dilemma - spend an extra $130-180 on the "cellular version" of your chosen iPad (Mini, Air, etc)...or save yourself a LOT of money, and stock with an Android tablet. Once again, the (realistic) best bet appears to be a Nexus 7 (2013, Wi-Fi or LTE model), nVidia Shield, or Asus ZenPad S 8.0 (either already-released 32GB Z580C-B1 ($199), or the soon-to-be-released 64GB Z580CA-C1 ($299)). While I've already spent money on a case, & tempered glass screen protector for the iPad Mini 2, returning the iPad Mini 2, taking a financially loss on the accessories, and re-buying the Z580C, might be the better, smarter, and more financially-feasible decision. I'm EXTREMELY sorry I ever gave Apple another chance.

Reactions: iquadtography
Yes. Pls get the Verizon mini 2. I feel may as well get the best network coverage. Also cheaper than iPad mini 3. Only issue is the holder. There isn't one yet. But I hope DJI has one in Design stages.

Yes. Pls get the Verizon mini 2. I feel may as well get the best network coverage. Also cheaper than iPad mini 3. Only issue is the holder. There isn't one yet. But I hope DJI has one in Design stages.

I wasn't talking wasn't "getting" an iPad Mini 2...I was talking about "returning" the one I already bought. The 16GB version for Verizon (or any carrier, for that matter) is $429. I paid $249 (Best Buy, price matching Staples, although Best Buy's current (sale) price is $279, this $30 saved) for the 16GB Wi-Fi version. Is it really worth spending a additional $180, just to have GPS? The logical, and intelligent, answer is "NO".

That answer holds even more weight when you consider the fact that you can get the Asus ZenPad S 8.0 Z580C for only $199 (32GB ), or the Z580CA-C1 for only $299 (64GB, plus other upgrades), both of which have built-in GPS; both of which are running 64-bit CPUs; both of which cost less than the Nexus 7 LTE, nVidia Shield, or iPad Mini 2/3 (Wi-Fi or cellular); and both of which (check for yourself, using PCMark and/or 3DMark) blow the N7, Shield, & iPad Mini 2 out of the water.

I do admit to having purchased and returned the Z580C...not because it wasn't good (it was extremely good), but because I placed a pre-order (B&H Photo) for the Z580CA-C1. I've decided to keep the N7 LTE, as a dedicated P3P tablet, and use the Z580CA-C1 as the N7 LTE's replacement. As for the iPad Mini 2, I'll be returning it to Best Buy tomorrow...and I WON'T miss it, in the least.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor