Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

Well I finally got the Go App to work on my Note 3, turned out to be a bad USB3 cable. Figures...
Anyways what is the latest on 8 inch Android tablets?
I assume everyone here is waiting fort the new ASUS Z580CA, I placed an order for on from B&H about 10 days ago. Still no shipping info yet...

Can't say anything about the Z580CA-C...yet (since, as you mentioned, they haven't shipped yet)...but a few of us, myself included, have purchased, and flown with, the Z580C, and it's fantastic. I did a back-to-back flight comparison (posted earlier in these forums), pitting the Nexus 7 LTE against the Z580C, and the Asus tablet was considerably better.

While I also have the Z580CA-C on pre-order (also through B&H), I've rooted the Z580C, and am looking forward to installing pure Android on it (no ZenUI).

Well I finally got the Go App to work on my Note 3, turned out to be a bad USB3 cable. Figures...
I assume everyone here is waiting fort the new ASUS Z580CA, I placed an order for on from B&H about 10 days ago. Still no shipping info yet...

Not sure if I had mentioned in OP, I am interested in a Android tablet because I also run DJI Lightbridge on my S900 and the app only is for Android...

I ordered one from b&h as well. Still no word.

So a question about iPad Air 2 with cellular can you just buy that model say on eBay and carrier doesn't matter just don't activate it with a carrier. And still take advantage of the gps? THX!

So a question about iPad Air 2 with cellular can you just buy that model say on eBay and carrier doesn't matter just don't activate it with a carrier. And still take advantage of the gps? THX!

GPS should work on any tablet...Android, iOS, Windows, etc...whether it's data-connected, or Wi-Fi only. The only problem you would face with a Wi-Fi only tablet is no map to visualize your location, as well as the drone's location...unless you pre-load your maps.

My Nexus 7 LTE has data connection (as does my Galaxy S6)...but, as for my Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition), Asus ZenPad S8.0 (Z580C, plus Z580CA-C, one it's received), and iPad Mini 3 (just acquired, per my church), they are all Wi-Fi only. The "up" side for a Wi-Fi only tablet is that, if your phone can be used as a Wi-Fi Hotspot, then you can connect your tablet to the phone, and, using the phone's data connectivity, still having a viewable map.

I realize that, when asked which is better...iOS, or Android...to use with the P3, a lot of people have chimed in saying, "iOS, because that's what the Phantom sop wss originally designed for." Since have even gone" to say that, before DJI even considered an Android version of the app, the iOS version wss already in-use. I've never disputed these claims, nor have I questioned them...until now. If the Phantom was initially/primarily designed to be used with an iOS tablet/phone, here's an interesting question needing an answer:

Why do all the Phantom drones come with a micro-USB cable, instead of a Lightening cable? Android devices use micro-USB ports, not iOS devices. iPads use the Lightening port (which, in reality, is actually a USB-type 3 port, of which the only current Android tablet to use it, as far as I'm aware, is the soon-to-be-released Asus ZenPad S 8.0 Z580CA.

Will my 2014 Samsung Note 10.1 wifi & LTE work?

I know its not listed, just curious if anyone has tried or using one currently, would love the bigger screen.

Will my 2014 Samsung Note 10.1 wifi & LTE work?

@Kuau While I, too, am still waiting for B&H to ship my Z580CA, I should mention that I decided to return the Z580C I had purchased to Best Buy. This does NOT mean I am canceling the Z580CA order, as I am extremely interested in receiving it. It will still become the replacement for my Nexus 7 LTE (even though the ZenPad S 8.0 is a Wi-Fi only tablet), but as for a dedicated P3P tablet, I broke down, and did something I vowed I would never do - I purchased an Apple iPad Mini 2. I haven't had the opportunity to fly using it...yet...but I am interested in doing a multi-tablet comparison (similar to the Asus ZenPad S 8.0 Z580C vs Nexus 7 LTE comparison), this time comparing the iPad Mini 2 against the Nexus 7 LTE, Samsung Glalaxy Note 10.

@D4T_PoM If you read what I posted in my first paragraph, above, you will see that I'll not only be testing the Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition), but I'll do a comparison of it against the Galaxy S6, my just-purchased (and not-yet-flown-with) iPad Mini 2, and my soon-to-be-replaced (actually, I'm giving it to my girlfriend, as she's been interested in a tablet for reading) Nexus 7 LTE. I probably won't post as extensive a comparison as I did for the Nexus 7 LTE vs ZenPad S 8.0, but I will, at minimum, give general comparison information.

Reactions: D4T_PoM and Spry25
I am using the iPad mini 3 and the Galaxy s6 edge both running the latest go app what I noticed after multiple flights that the mini has some glitches on it like grey screen from time to time but the s6 edge is extremely neat no problems at all and very satisfying !!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ran into something new today, I'm not a "happy camper", & I'm hoping someone is able to help. While I've been flying, until today, using Android tablets, today I went to do a test flight using my new iPad Mini 2, as well as the carbon props I just received. The iPad Mini 2 is not receiving any data from the controller...and I mean NO data. It's not even charging.

I'm certain the problem has nothing to do with the iPad, itself, or the cable. I say this because I've tested two different iPads (of the same model) - my 16GB iPad Mini 2, & my church's 16 GB iPad Mini 2. I've also tested using both cables. There's 4 possible configurations (my iPad & cable, church's iPad & cable, my iPad & church cable, and church iPad & my cable. In ALL tests, the iPad received nothing from the controller.

With controller & iPad both turned on, and cable plugged into controller (but not iPad), I plugged the cable into the iPad, and, the "charging" lightening-bolt icon appeared, and the battery icon turned green...and then, approximately 1/4 second later, the charging icon disappeared, & the battery icon returned to its normal color (black when in DJI Go app, & white when in anything other than DJI Go app.

The app on the iPad is the latest (2.1.0), and the same is true on all Android tablets (2.0.2). The firmware on my P3P, controller, and all four batteries is also the latest (1.3.2). Additionally, I have installed the HDMI upgrade board, but I've also fully tested it (since hearing of some people receiving defective boards, where no video was output through the HDMI port), and, when connected to an Android device (I've tested this with Nexus 7 LTE, Asus ZenPad S 8.0 Z580C, & Samsung Galaxy S6), the camera image easily showed on my HDTV.

In order to try and solve the problem, I initially, I contacted Drones Plus in Las Vegas (their headquarters), and 5 different technicians couldn't figure it out, so they transferred the call directly to DJI. Unfortunately, the DJI tech also couldn't figure it out (not that he bothered to spend much time trying), to which his only response was, "Send an email, as it will go to our headquarters in China, and I'm sure they'll know what the problem is."

I know that, with Android devices, you need to enable "USB debugging", in order for the controller & tablet/phone to communicate with each other. Is there some sort of setting (or settings) on the tablet that enables communication between the two? If that's not the cause, has anyone else had this problem, and, if so, how did yoh fix it? As if right now, I'm completely perplexed & baffled. I completed the (short, unfortunately) test flight, but I was flying completely blind, so I can't consider the test a success. Any help will be greatly appreciated, as I'm almost ready to return the iPad Mini 2, and go back to only using Android tablets.

I am an android guy, but I returned my Asus Z580C. It had good fpv, but I could not get rid of the gapps pop up. I have 2 batts and it would appear on every second batt. Just not worth the hassle

While the Asus fpv was good, the iPad Mini 2 is fantastic! The Go app in iOS has more functionality to also.

I am still interested in results from the new Asus. When you guys get it, post back

I am an android guy, but I returned my Asus Z580C. It had good fpv...While the Asus fpv was good, the iPad Mini 2 is fantastic! The Go app in iOS has more functionality to also.

Like you, I also returned the Z580C, & I also bought an iPad Mini 2 (this coming from someone who had been EXTREMELY anti-Apple for a few years now, and has been anti-Steve Jobs for an even longer time)...but I also have a Z580CA-C on pre-order from B&H. My reason for returning the Z580C really had nothing to do with its performance, but the fact that already having a Nexus 7 LTE, Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition), plus the pre-order for the Z580CA-C, I felt I didn't really want a duplicate of the same tablet (essentially, the Z580C & Z580CA-C are the same, with the "CA-C" model being the better 'sibling'.

GPS should work on any tablet...Android, iOS, Windows, etc...whether it's data-connected, or Wi-Fi only. The only problem you would face with a Wi-Fi only tablet is no map to visualize your location, as well as the drone's location...unless you pre-load your maps.

A wifi only iPad doesn't have GPS inside so you can't use the tablet to set it as the home point. You can do craft as home but if you move from your launch point, the craft won't come home to where your tablet is.

I'm guessing with other wifi only tablets, ymmv.

A wifi only iPad doesn't have GPS inside so you can't use the tablet to set it as the home point. You can do craft as home but if you move from your launch point, the craft won't come home to where your tablet is.

Unfortunately, your comment is entirely 100% false...at least from my person experience, as well ad the experience of a friend who's been flying since the Phantom 2. Prior to my most recent flight, I've always used Android tablets, but, having just bought the iPad Mini 2, as well as having received my carbon reinforced props, I wanted to see how they compared to the standard props. I'd also installed the HDMI upgrade board a few days earlier, and wanted to test that out, as well.

Upon getting everything up & running, I discovered that the iPad wasn't receiving any data from the transmitter - no signal strength information; no battery information; no information of any kind. To make a long story short, I had no choice but to conduct my test flight "blind". When my P3P was long past my ability to see it, I pressed the RTH button on the transmitter...and my Phantom returned to almost the exact spot (it was off by about one foot) it had taken off from.

The point is, the tablet...ANY tablet...has absolutely nothing to do with the drone's user of GPS. When you start up the drone's motors, the GPS inside the drone locks in its coordinates, thus enabling it to know its starting point. It doesn't matter if you remain standing exactly where you were when it took off, or whether you walked 100 feet away...it will still return to its origin point. It doesn't matter whether you're using a data-connected tablet, a Wi-Fi only tablet, or no tablet at all...it still returns to the same point.

Unfortunately, your comment is entirely 100% false...at least from my person experience, as well ad the experience of a friend who's been flying since the Phantom 2. Prior to my most recent flight, I've always used Android tablets, but, having just bought the iPad Mini 2, as well as having received my carbon reinforced props, I wanted to see how they compared to the standard props. I'd also installed the HDMI upgrade board a few days earlier, and wanted to test that out, as well.

Upon getting everything up & running, I discovered that the iPad wasn't receiving any data from the transmitter - no signal strength information; no battery information; no information of any kind. To make a long story short, I had no choice but to conduct my test flight "blind". When my P3P was long past my ability to see it, I pressed the RTH button on the transmitter...and my Phantom returned to almost the exact spot (it was off by about one foot) it had taken off from.

The point is, the tablet...ANY tablet...has absolutely nothing to do with the drone's user of GPS. When you start up the drone's motors, the GPS inside the drone locks in its coordinates, thus enabling it to know its starting point. It doesn't matter if you remain standing exactly where you were when it took off, or whether you walked 100 feet away...it will still return to its origin point. It doesn't matter whether you're using a data-connected tablet, a Wi-Fi only tablet, or no tablet at all...it still returns to the same point.
You are aware of the fact that there are two RTH modes, correct?. Aircraft position and device position. How are you going to use device position if the device has no GPS location to RTH to?

You are aware of the fact that there are two RTH modes, correct?. Aircraft position and device position. How are you going to use device position if the device has no GPS location to RTH to?

Yes,RTH take off position works from the gps on the craft. RTH to the tx position requires gps on the tablet to determine the new position. That's a "nice" feature and may be important to some. I am new to P3, but I have flown multirotors for a long time. I have used RTH out of need on both my P3 and other MRs. My other MRs use a dumb screen for fpv. There is no option for RTH to the tx position. I have never missed it, nor wished I had it.

But it does give one more reason to dislike Apple :rolleyes: Why do I need a cell network radio to get gps radio?

How are there 2 RTHs? As I mentioned, until my "blind" flight using the iPad, I had previously used Android tablets, and, at least with Android, there is only one RTH. It doesn't matter if you press the RTH button on the controller, or tablet, it acts/functions exactly the same.

I do know that, in the latest iOS version (v2.1.0), DJI added a "Smart RTH" option, and there's been a lot of debate (since DJI hasn't yet included any info related to it) as to its functionality, but according to several posts, it (supposedly) has to do with returning to origin point when the P3 detects (based on its own current position) that it's battery has just enough power to return & land.

If you can show me, in the manual, when it states anything about two different RTHs, as you've stated above, then I'd believe.

How are there 2 RTHs? As I mentioned, until my "blind" flight using the iPad, I had previously used Android tablets, and, at least with Android, there is only one RTH. It doesn't matter if you press the RTH button on the controller, or tablet, it acts/functions exactly the same.

I do know that, in the latest iOS version (v2.1.0), DJI added a "Smart RTH" option, and there's been a lot of debate (since DJI hasn't yet included any info related to it) as to its functionality, but according to several posts, it (supposedly) has to do with returning to origin point when the P3 detects (based on its own current position) that it's battery has just enough power to return & land.

If you can show me, in the manual, when it states anything about two different RTHs, as you've stated above, then I'd believe.

Read the post above yours and below my last.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3